Poplar project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trever

GB mill 076 Super Stihl
Reaction score
Here is a good one for tomorrow's fun. Poplar's BDH is roughly 27" on this one. I have two more beside it that are still standing that will come down later this Fall. More pics tomorrow if it doesn't rain.

The first log I milled was a long dead Poplar that fell across my inlaws back yard. Here's what the became, Joe.

017-1.jpg

004-8.jpg

I was wondering what type of wood that was for the bench. Up north here we call that tree a Tulip tree. In the southern regions it is known as a Yellow Popular . Am I correct or not??

Last edited:
I've always heard it referred to as "tulip poplar". There is a fair amount of it on my property is southern Va, and they grew tall and straight.

How suitable would it be for post and beam construction?

Tulip Poplar

I've always heard it referred to as "tulip poplar". There is a fair amount of it on my property is southern Va, and they grew tall and straight.

How suitable would it be for post and beam construction?

Makes pretty dang good timber for structures I have heard, once it has dried. It seasons fairly tough.
I know of a barn that was biult with some Poplar in the 1800s and is still standing today. Barn has really nice big timbers in it's main structure.

I plan on DH kilning mine and selling to local woodworkers once it's around 8% MC.

Trever

Hey neighbor!

Hey Trevor not found many millers in the area what part of east tn you in? I'm in Cleveland....

I'm in Athens. I plan on starting a smal DH kiln build in a few weeks. Thanks for replying and have a blessed day.

Trever

Well your close I'm interested in your kiln plans too... I recently acquired a older woodmizer that needs some minor work but hope to have it up and running soon... I was bad accident couple months back and just now getting back to walking around, when I get more back to normal might have to get together if you like...

Nathan

Great photos. Around these parts, hearing a chain saw running at night will most likely bring someone out with a shotgun. If you're lucky, they'll call the sheriff. As I understand it, yellow poplar (aka tulip tree) is a different species of poplar than cottonwood. Nice looking bench.

Great photos. Around these parts, hearing a chain saw running at night will most likely bring someone out with a shotgun. If you're lucky, they'll call the sheriff. As I understand it, yellow poplar (aka tulip tree) is a different species of poplar than cottonwood. Nice looking bench.

It's on my in-laws property and anyone on it will here my 12 gauge rack... :msp_biggrin:

Trever

Yellow poplar, tulip tree, tulip poplar are all common names for Liriodendron tulipifera, if my spelling and memory are correct. Cottonwood is Populus deltoides, again subject to memory and spelling.

They are not the same species or even the same genus. Different trees, unless where you are they are different names for the same tree. That's the thing about common names, it doesn't guarantee we are talking about the same thing.

But does the chainsaw care?

Sunny weather is coming!

It supposed to clear up here after Thursday, so I plan to get back on these logs Friday evening and Saturday morning. Hope the weather holds off. More pics to come; Lord willing.

Trever

More pics

Here is some more pics of work that was done yesterday. Boy was it nice to get back in the woods! This week is not looking good, so it will probably be next week before I can start on the second log. The wood on the trailer is from the first log only. My old new 076 Super ran great!! I was real pleased with it. I just recently built it from used TS 760 cases with about 80% of it in new OEM parts. Have a blessed day.

Trever

Back