Porta Wrap and rope question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy,

I have a medium Porta-Wrap calling for a 9/16 max rope. My present 9/16 rope is fried and I'm going to buy a new one, but I would prefer a 5/8 just for the sake of a little extra strength, which sometimes it seems like we need.

The question: Will the 1/10 difference in size really make a difference with the smooth functioning of the Porta-Wrap, or is it more a question of balancing WLLs between the rope and the Wrap in order to avoid possible problems?

Larger rope needs to run around larger drum

more because of the bend radius than anything to do with working load rating match-up. Just me, but I try to use much larger bend radii than manufacturers recommend.

Thanks for that. :)

My climber is passing by Vermeer this morning, I hope, and he'll grab me a new 5/8 rope. I think I'll get a new, and larger, Porta-Wrap as well. The stainless steel model looks nice.

The medium P-W serves us well, but every once in a while it seems we're pushing it a bit too far. In this case maybe bigger is better.

5/8 will be fine. The bigger porta wrap will run a little smoother, but you'd be fine with the medium also.

Thanks. :)

Ended up getting the 9/16 rope. My climber phoned me from Vermeer and said the 5/8 was huge and the 9/16 looked perfect for our needs. I'm still thinking of getting the larger stainless steel Porta-Wrap. Maybe next week.

The old rope, it has seen a lot(!) of use (with a few old helmets I cleaned. It was tool cleaning day.):

View attachment 306095

The new rope. What a sweet setup! :

View attachment 306096

Latest posts

Back