Ported 031?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ms290

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
To me its so tempting. ive got one and its just sitting around doing nothing but rotting. Maybe if i was to port it i would use it more often. Anybody ever done such a thing?

One good thing about 031s is they are built like tanks!! just think of a 066 with a small bore. port the cylinder. remove the cylinder gasket to raise comp. (check your squish clearence before you start it no less than .020 to be safe) port the muffler a bit . and run the crap outa it!

is there a thin gasket kit available? I did a comp test on it and it pulled 145 cold.

does that seriously work? Im actually looking at using an beer can if its do-able.

I have been using copper gasket maker for almost 2 years on one of my 031s. About $5 for a tube of it. I would love to see someone else try porting one. I got some gains, but never timed it.

I do have two completely different 031 mufflers. I have been waiting for a grapple load of wood to show up to do some timed cuts with the 2 mufflers I have.

Last edited:
Not sure but you might be able to just dicth the gasket and use a good sealer as was stated . some saws need a thin gasket so that the piston dont hit. especally the older ones they used really thick gaskets. I know the 028s used 2 diffrent thickness gaskets from the factory that was an old school modd to use a early gasket on the bigger wb and supers. And yes beer can works. or a good ol brown paper bag. there is very little pressure where the cylinder mounts. unlike a typical "head gasket"

I can't remember the number exactly, but without the gasket my squish is in the 0.025 to 0.035 range.......I could actually mill some off the cylinder and still be OK. The saw has 165lbs compression.

I can't remember the number exactly, but without the gasket my squish is in the 0.025 to 0.035 range.......I could actually mill some off the cylinder and still be OK. The saw has 165lbs compression.

i hate you. Mines only got 145.:chainsaw::greenchainsaw:

It's funny that this thread should show up just now, I have a guy bringing me an 031 tomorrow in exchange for some work. I for one would like to hear more about any ported 031s.

It's funny that this thread should show up just now, I have a guy bringing me an 031 tomorrow in exchange for some work. I for one would like to hear more about any ported 031s.

im gonna go ahead and try it. Since there are so many of them around im not scared to mess up too bad. First im just going to adjust the squish and see what i cant gain on the torque side of things. Id like to create a torque monster in sheep skin.:chainsaw:

Back