Ported 254 Husqvarna...Big fun small package!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's some easy gains to be had on the air filter too. The round part of the filter where it goes into the intake is restricted.

Really nice. What length bar and size chain are you running in the video ?

I picked up a 254 a few weeks ago that had a blown crank, but I had another good bottom end.

I'm really liking 50cc saws lately for the cutting I'm doing around home, and I haven't ground on any cylinders in awhile.....Ported and muff modded for my pleasure!:msp_tongue:.....I think there's some more to be had, and I'm going back in to do some more, but this is a 25 year old saw that definitely doesn't know that it's only 54cc's...:msp_thumbsup:

[video=youtube_share;j2qxlpvvlvM]http://youtu.be/j2qxlpvvlvM[/video]

Really nice. What length bar and size chain are you running in the video ?

It's wearing a 20" bar with 3/8 full chisel and a 7 pin rim.

I have been doing all my cutting with the 254 the last couple weeks, but took a fresh built 266 for some test cuts today. I have had many 266's and love them, but today the 266 seemed a little weak compared to the ported 254.

Time to port the 266 :D I've got one on the bench and I'm ready to open it up.

It's wearing a 20" bar with 3/8 full chisel and a 7 pin rim.

I knew I liked it. 20" 3/8 Full Chisel on a 50cc is really slick.

here is my 550xt with 20" bar in 3/8 .050 full chisel, 7 pin with a mild muffler Mod. I bet it would be a real go getter, ported with a larger muff mod.

The elm is actually 16 3/4"
[video=youtube;ocH_dVyAYtk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocH_dVyAYtk&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Last edited:
550xp Impressive saw especially using a 20" 3/8 bar/chain. 3.7hp is the rating for the 550xp at 14000 rpm and the 254xp is rated at 3.9hp at 13800 rpm.
The specs are interesting but the technology is something else.....................I like running my 254xp with a 20" bar and .058 chain. The new primer buttons don't interest me for now. Old school thinking I suppose.

254xp specs as per a January 1993 Husqvarna sales brochure

Last edited:
I have a couple very scruffy but good running 254xp's as well as a lot of other saws in that general size range.
I like to mix it up and use many different saws, just because, but a 254 is one of the first ones I'll grab especially if I'm going to do a lot of cutting.
Feels like a ported saw even if it isn't.

According to my '98 Husqvarna catalog, the 254xp is rated at 4.1hp and 11.9lbs.

View attachment 313432

Latest posts

Back