Ported 50cc = stock 60cc?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VTWoodchuck

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I read this site like its my job. Love the info and reviews. I'm trying to wrap my head around just how much porting(woods) can do.
Heres my thoughts- I actually favor my little 'ol 350 over my 361s for most of my cutting. I do around 12ish cord a year and split by hand. Big stuff for me is 20-24". BUT, when it comes to felling and bucking the main trunk, I grab the 361 everytime. Its a whole hp stronger and its noticable. I'm really looking at adding a new saw and thinking that a used 346/261 plus a port job equals the cost of a new 562/362 and saves wieght. Does this make sense? I'm extremely intruiged by the 562. Is it a 'one saw' for my needs?

Edit to add that porting a brand new saw is not in the budget.

Last edited:
I read this site like its my job. Love the info and reviews. I'm trying to wrap my head around just how much porting(woods) can do.
Heres my thoughts- I actually favor my little 'ol 350 over my 361s for most of my cutting. I do around 12ish cord a year and split by hand. Big stuff for me is 20-24". BUT, when it comes to felling and bucking the main trunk, I grab the 361 everytime. Its a whole hp stronger and its noticable. I'm really looking at adding a new saw and thinking that a used 346/261 plus a port job equals the cost of a new 562/362 and saves wieght. Does this make sense? I'm extremely intruiged by the 562. Is it a 'one saw' for my needs?

Edit to add that porting a brand new saw is not in the budget.

562 is the way to go. Ported of course.

So, no replacement for displacement? :)
Is it possible to detetmine the hp and cc increase done by porting?
I'm just makin small talk here and lookin to learn.

Take a 261 or 346 and send it to the right porter and it will hang with a stock 70cc saw in some cases stronger, you should PM Brad Snelling as he has alot of expierence with both. As I've got older and with health issues I pick up the 261's more than any other saw,five years ago it would have been a 046/056, three years ago the 361, now the 50cc saw chassis size is the best suited for me and we cut no less wood. It's why I sold my stock 660 the ported 460 cuts circles around it. The 361 cuts right with a stock 440. Your on the right track, a good woods port is like adding 10cc, and I haven't seen any neglible difference in reliability. I'd really love to have a ported MS241 if they were available in the US.

Kinda liken my 562XP. Even stock I think it runs real well. Time will tell though.

562 runs right on the heels of 70cc saws with a 20" bar. Once you step up in bar size then it's not as close. I think I'm holding off until the 2260 hits here in the jonsered line. If you cut clean wood square ground chain is like adding 10cc to a saw also.

Ported saws are louder, more tempermental, require more maintainence, and carefull attention to running, tuning, mix ratio, and sharpness of chain. A ported saw will use more fuel.
All my using saws are ported and I would not have it any other way. If you can not deal with the above don't run ported. Unless you are a chainsaw nut and ready to pay complete attention to what you are doing, stick with stock or just a MM. Most people should stick with the stock Chevy not the 600 HP Corvette. Of course there are different tunes of Corvette.

562 runs right on the heels of 70cc saws with a 20" bar. Once you step up in bar size then it's not as close. I think I'm holding off until the 2260 hits here in the jonsered line. If you cut clean wood square ground chain is like adding 10cc to a saw also.

I've got a 20" Techlite bar on mine and I think it's a sweet setup. Good balance, not too heavy and is right size for most of the stuff I cut.

A 350 husky done right will keep right up with a stock ms361 with an 18" or 20" B&C. A 361 done right will make a ms440 ide in the corner & piddle on itself.;)

"Square ground chain", whats this? I use stihl full chisel.

Ported saws are louder, more tempermental, require more maintainence, and carefull attention to running, tuning, mix ratio, and sharpness of chain. A ported saw will use more fuel.
All my using saws are ported and I would not have it any other way. If you can not deal with the above don't run ported. Unless you are a chainsaw nut and ready to pay complete attention to what you are doing, stick with stock or just a MM. Most people should stick with the stock Chevy not the 600 HP Corvette. Of course there are different tunes of Corvette.

In the case of my ported M-Tronic, I'd agree it's louder (due to MM, not porting), and uses more fuel. Other than that, can't say I'd agree with the rest of the characteristics cited.

Think 555, as a firewood saw it fits the bill, even with the small bar mount at 20" normally, it fits the bill.

The 555 is the forgotten child, thats doing more than its brother in the limelight.

I have almost 27 tanks through my 555 running 18" .325 (21BP)...........it has woken up big time.

Weight over my go to saw CS2152 ala 2153/346, negligible, no different than payday in my wallet versus everyother day, but my wallet dont run like that.

Can`t agree with you there! A WELL modified saw is like the factory should have made it, but didn`t of different reasons. The porting is more ballansed, carb venturi is the correct sice, muffler is more open to prevent exhaust blowback, sqish clearense is correct, and so on. Bottom line, the modified saw will be more reliable. :msp_wink:

Last edited:
The 562xp is the most impressive stock saw I've ever run. Mine is a keeper!

But I'd rather run a ported 346xp most of the time.

Best to have both. :msp_smile:

Latest posts

Back