Porting 394 cyl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't loose faith.
There has been enough info here for you already.
Do your exhaust and inlet as described.
Remove base gasket checking squish.
Do a muffler mod.
Put it back together and see how you like it.
You can always go back in if you want more.

Al.

Thanks for the kick in the butt!!

When I ported my 359 I removed the base gasket and used some playdough on top of the piston to measure the squish. I then put the jug on and used a pencil to trace around the inside of the exhaust port with the piston at top dead center. Then I started removing some material I widened and raised my exhaust and widened my intake a little. I then retraced my exhaust port with the piston and I could see how much material I had removed. Your idea of measuring from the bottom of the jug to the top of the exhaust is good for height but I like to trace the port on the piston so I can see the room on the sides of the skirt.

Also I have to give credit where credit is due tracing the port onto the piston was not my idea I learned that from another saw builder.

When I ported my 359 I removed the base gasket and used some playdough on top of the piston to measure the squish. I then put the jug on and used a pencil to trace around the inside of the exhaust port with the piston at top dead center. Then I started removing some material I widened and raised my exhaust and widened my intake a little. I then retraced my exhaust port with the piston and I could see how much material I had removed. Your idea of measuring from the bottom of the jug to the top of the exhaust is good for height but I like to trace the port on the piston so I can see the room on the sides of the skirt.

Thanks for the tips.

Will

Well sorry guys. I chickened out on this build. I just put it all back together stock. I'm running on limited time lately, and didn't want to chance messing up a 394 cylinder. I have a 395xp project that I will do it on, when I have more time.

Thanks again for all your advice.

Latest posts

Back