Porting a MS660 w/BB Kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brad, you can't perfectly port match that muffler to the exhaust manifold without grinding into the muffler. I'd done a bunch of them.

It's holding 11,200 when letting the chain self feed, and about 10,200 under a nice load.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yABNUCty6ns?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yABNUCty6ns?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

It's holding 11,200 when letting the chain self feed, and about 10,200 under a nice load.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yABNUCty6ns?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yABNUCty6ns?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I would say that about does it !! That customer should be grinning soon. Great job!

one of these days your gonna reach for that tach and that tip thats still in the middle of that wood gonna catch and your gonna get a face full of ms 660

I saw how much reefing was going on in the cut, the chain makes the saw, a ported 90cc saw is not doing much good when it is "self feeding" at the speed of a cross cut saw. . . :snail:

Ya know what I mean?

one of these days your gonna reach for that tach and that tip thats still in the middle of that wood gonna catch and your gonna get a face full of ms 660
You are right. I shouldn't have done that.

I saw how much reefing was going on in the cut, the chain makes the saw, a ported 90cc saw is not doing much good when it is "self feeding" at the speed of a cross cut saw. . . :snail:

Ya know what I mean?
It's the wood. This is super hard Oak and it's frozen. Just this morning, the chain was sharpened with a file/jig and the rakers set with an Oregon combo guage.

Brad I'm just watching this on a computer, but it looks like it's maybe the strongest 660 you done?
I think mine's still faster:)

That thing rips pretty good for a stihl, do you still have the Husky 350 that you turned into the 346 killer? BTW thanks again for the flywheel, My 362 is running tops now:cheers:

I've cut frozen oak before Brad, and its no contest for hickory. your saw does have the capability to eat faster. you need to go above and beyond the file plate if you want a fast chain. I have never been satisfied with them. . .

Im not sure what the notches are, but you could start by lowering the drags some, correct angle will make most of the difference between a crappy jumpy chain & one that cuts fast. Mess around with how much hook & angle you want on the bit. . . I guess its kind of like the blade on a tractor, you lower it into the earth more & more till it bogs, then ease up some and do work. Too little and any mods to the tractor are pointless. Your a smart cookie you can figure it out:disdain:

Brad here's a picture for you an Fatguy. A used crusty old 66 muffler with a brazed in plate I had lying around. Alot more work than just grinding out the front plate. Without brazing in the plate after removing all the guts in the muffler the muffler is weak and will crack, and you can't perfectly port match the muffler to the cylinder because of the over lap in the muffler opening. I do this little mod to all my 66's, along with matching everything else including cases. Paying attention to "detail" is a must if one expects to have an excellent running saw, especially if it's your own. LOL

066muffler002.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back