Porting a Poulan 25da

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How did you approach the exhaust width and the port bridges? I'll be leaving the bridges, but I'm debating how wide to go and how narrow to thin the bridges. Being a full circle piston and a brigded port, I bet I can go pretty wide. Here we are back at time/area.

I thinned them a bit but not much, yes since it's bridged you can go wider on the exhaust. A lot of improvement can be had on these just by matching the muffler to the port.

Man, I shouldnt be watching this. I got a overbored and replated S25 P/C just setting on the shelf. I think it was like .030 over but would have to measure again to be sure. :hmm3grin2orange:

It looks like it will always be sitting there on your shelf, you old scoundrel!!!

You won't sell it trade it or use it!:cheers:

Mike

You guys are making me want to go back in mine. It's the only top handled saw I have. Well, actually, I have two of these. I'm sure I left plenty on the table. There are just too many other fish to fry though.

It looks like it will always be sitting there on your shelf, you old scoundrel!!!

You won't sell it trade it or use it!:cheers:

Mike

Thats BS and you know it. :hmm3grin2orange:

There aint hardly nothing I got that couldnt be bought if a fella wanted it bad enough. The ole lady and my gran pappys rifle are about the only thing off limits. :cheers:

chain saw porting

I am looking into getting my saw ported? Any ideas on who to send it to? Thanks

I've read where a few of you have mentioned porting a Poulan 25da or some variant, yet I haven't been able to pull up a thread with any details shared. Anyone have any strategies that have worked out well? Any numbers?

I've never ported a reed valve saw and am not sure where I should be headed. My stock numbers are as follows.

Exhaust - 105*
Transfers - 119.5*
Squish - .052"
Base Gasket - .030"
Bore - 38mm
2-ring piston

Thats BS and you know it. :hmm3grin2orange:

There aint hardly nothing I got that couldnt be bought if a fella wanted it bad enough. The ole lady and my gran pappys rifle are about the only thing off limits. :cheers:

:msp_ohmy:

Uh Oh!!!
When did your lovely wife get to be "off limits"!!!:cheers:

Mike

So which Poulan models in this family of saws are the "good" ones? Does 25da = s25 = xxv = ???

More or less. s25da or cva, xxv,etc. You can look on the fineprint on the saw and see 38cc. Some have some antivibe components to them. They used a variety of lettering etc for the decals and there are other brands who offered the same saw in different colors, craftsman, dayton I believe and some more. The big confusion is with the "micros". similar in appearance but not in function or power and not so much parts interchageability. those were I think 32 and/or maybe 33 cc.

Examples for comparison

Model Profile: S25DA

--I have this one, it rocks! It's what a little saw should be.

Model Profile: S25CVA

Model Profile: Micro 25 (XXV)

Its a Husky 357xp. I am just going to use it for firewood and play I guess. I am new to the site so where you you find the sponsors? Thanks for your help Mike.

What saw is it?

What do you want it to do when finished? (Milling, firewood, play, etc,)

There are several good porters here that are sponsors.
That is where I'd start.

Mike

So, are you just saying' that Mike's just cheap?:hmm3grin2orange: How much you want for that P&C?:cool2:

I think he prefers the word "frugal" :laugh:

What you got interesting to trade?

:msp_ohmy:

Uh Oh!!!
When did your lovely wife get to be "off limits"!!!:cheers:

Mike

25 years ago, as soon as she became my lovely wife. :msp_biggrin:

Did you hollar at me? :msp_sneaky:

So he and your wife have something in common? :laugh:

I don't know what I was thinking, but I didn't think to order rings until today. I guess that give me plenty of time to wrap up the porting. I ended up ordering Caber G15 38mm x 1.5mm rings since I didn't have any luck finding square ended rings. I figure since this is a two ring piston, I can run one taper up and one taper down and be just fine with. I picked them up from Northwood.

Here is the before pic with my mark at 103* on the exhaust (poor picture:msp_sad:). There is a very pronounced lip on the exhaust roof that felt very gratifying to remove.

A8A58FD2-16A7-4628-B158-C19B3DAFFACD-129-000000203A5F7346.jpg

I got the exhaust and transfer heights roughed in. There sure doesn't seem like there is much porting necessary on this cylinder, but it may be due to the fact that it is only 38cc. I'll probably just clean up the exhaust port from here and not really hog it out.

D3A46130-E866-4F62-AD3F-D6A7D13C0E1F-129-0000002117825E24.jpg

DA3921BD-8369-4724-BA8A-AF25D98BB963-129-000000211E46B8A7.jpg

I'm debating on what to do with the bottom of the transfers.... I'm thinking of putting a knife edge on the divider, but keeping it down low as to not take too much volume out from below the piston. Suggestions?

Back