Porting and torque

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ndigity26

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
After a saw is ported, they become faster but do they loose or gain torque? I wonder this because cutting fast is nice but a loss in torque would not be good, but a faster cutting speed and a gain in torque sounds pretty sweet. I own a few saws, mostly husqvarna and one stihl and I was thinking of having it ported but then wondered would I loose torque and I guess also potential lessen the life of the saw. I know the 372 ports well and I thats what I thinking of porting. I was quoted about 200.00$ from a reputable individual on this forum.
Thank you once again for any and all feed back

if the saw is done right it will gain torque and rpm without any loss of life. if you can get a reputable builder to do a saw for 200 then you better jump on it like a duck on a junebug.

Porting can take a saw both ways and also combine both if done by someone that really knows what has to be done to attain the target. There is gains to be made in either direction, its just what the customer wants and what type of use the saw will see.
Like all high performance engines a little longevity will most likely result, depends on how the saw is used after porting but if its maintained properly it won`t loose all that much longevity. There has to be some tradeoff going from mundane to high performance.

if the saw is done right it will gain torque and rpm without any loss of life. if you can get a reputable builder to do a saw for 200 then you better jump on it like a duck on a junebug.

Porting can take a saw both ways and also combine both if done by someone that really knows what has to be done to attain the target. There is gains to be made in either direction, its just what the customer wants and what type of use the saw will see.
Like all high performance engines a little longevity will most likely result, depends on how the saw is used after porting but if its maintained properly it won`t loose all that much longevity. There has to be some tradeoff going from mundane to high performance.

+1 on these posts, both of these guys should know. Their reputation on this site is well known and well respected.

in my experience, if exhaust height is left the same and compression is increased, one can easily gain torque even when gaining some revs.

I have one ported saw a 365xt. It had the restrictors removed the muffler modified and some work done to the cylinder. It is both higher revving and has more torque. I have been happy with the results.

Two strokes are not torque monsters.

Compared to a four stroke, it is pretty easy getting equal or better torque to Horsepower numbers from four strokes.

Two strokes are all about making their power with high RPMs.

But pound for pound, a two stroke can't be beat.

Compared to a four stroke, it is pretty easy getting equal or better torque to Horsepower numbers from four strokes.

A 2 stroke can run higher compression for the same octane fuel(before it is mixed) than a 4 stroke. A high compression 4 stroke can do as little as 120 psi per cylinder. A typical KTM 2 stroke from the factory will easily do 210 psi and pound out plenty of torque - more than a 250 or 300cc 4 stroke could ever hope for. If you keep your compression high and do not go crazy on your exhaust timing, you can get plenty of torque out of a chainsaw engine for it's displacement.

Mine pulled a 32" bar through a 30" log and I didn't get bored waiting for it. I was actually quite impressed with how it pulled compared to what I expected. Definite gain in torque here.

well if my math is right the 372xp rated at 5.3 hp at 9600rpm is making about 2.90 ft lbs of torque at 9600 rpm not alot.
if after porting the hp increases to say 5.6 at 10000 rpm would be 2.94 ft lbs of torque at 10000 rpm.
but what if its 5.6 hp at 10500 rpm then it would only be at 2.80 ft lbs of torque at 10500 rpm.
guess in the end there isnt alot gained or lost in torque and chain speed in the cut is what really matters in how well it performs.

well if my math is right the 372xp rated at 5.3 hp at 9600rpm is making about 2.90 ft lbs of torque at 9600 rpm not alot.
if after porting the hp increases to say 5.6 at 10000 rpm would be 2.94 ft lbs of torque at 10000 rpm.
but what if its 5.6 hp at 10500 rpm then it would only be at 2.80 ft lbs of torque at 10500 rpm.
guess in the end there isnt alot gained or lost in torque and chain speed in the cut is what really matters in how well it performs.

if your gonna mod a husky ,the 372 reponds real well to mods ,i have an xpw and it runs real good ,its faster than my stihls ,my 461 is the touquiest (is that a word ?) 70 cc saw i have , its not as fast as the husky but i can lean on it a lot more and not bog power down

try one/two-a bunch out.

To the OP,I am from Southborough Mass..I have a bunch of modded work saws.T-Wolf-Mastermind-Treeslinger.If you want to try some in some wood,pm.me.My experience has been very positive with modded work saws.I don't own a saw that isn't modded now.My only regret is having waited so long.Gary

Last edited:
To the OP,I am from Southborough Mass..I have a bunch of modded work saws.T-Wolf-Mastermind-Treeslinger.If you want to try some in some wood,pm.me.My experience has been very positive with modded work saws.I don't own a saw that isn't modded now.My only regret is having waited so long.Gary

I think I'm going to go for it I'm just trying to get educated about it first, I know all those guys mentioned are where it's at for porting. Have you ever heard of dillion tree frome shrewsbury?

That is not entirely correct. A four stroke would need higher RPMs to produce the same power and torque as a two stroke of the same volume.

Latest posts

Back