Porting MS 261 vs MS 261C

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not so much hung up as I like to meet the person who is doing my work,
I have had much work and business through the mail this is just my first chainsaw build.

I recommend getting on the list of Mastermind or TLandrum: take that and $1.07 and you can get a sweet tea at a Georgia MacDonald's ;)

...Several have commented that they run more like a 70cc saw than a 50cc saw once ported.
:rolleyes: My muffler modded and base gasket deleted 359 feels stronger than my ported MS261. Against my old (STOCK) 2171, it wasn't even close.
It's worth it if I can have a 50cc saw run like a 70cc saw
You should just sell one of your 261's and buy a 461... You'll never turn a 50cc saw into a 70cc saw. Maybe with a 16" bar you'd be close, but once you try to run a 28" bar on a ported 261, you'll quickly realize that it's not a 70cc saw...

Here's a graph of a stock vs. Mastermind MS261 C...
Masterminds261cmvsstock261cm_zps7aecf5ff.jpg

and Here's a graph of a stock vs. Mastermind MS461...
graph_zpscaac7a4a.jpg

Once one of your 261's is ported, the other one is going to sit UN-USED. Sure, a ported 261 is great fun (caveat I have never run one of Brad's) but if you want a saw with the balls of a 70cc saw, the old cliché kicks in: "There's no replacement for displacement"

Well I don't want the weight of a 461 and I don't usually cut much over 16 I really like the 261 for weight I just would like more power

I'd port the CM. It won't have the torque of a 70cc saw, but should do fine up to 16" logs.

Great falls
Ah, not too far from running to Lolo. Or you could send it to Brad, Terry, Randy, etc. Not too many builders in MT. Steve's in Lolo has been around for many years, and built a bunch of saws.

WolfMT! Did you end up porting a 261? If yes, which flavor, and who did the work? I am in GF too, and am shopping a 50cc saw, for eventual porting. I was even thinking maybe a 241... Not cutting real big trees in the Little Belts... -Drew

WolfMT! Did you end up porting a 261? If yes, which flavor, and who did the work? I am in GF too, and am shopping a 50cc saw, for eventual porting. I was even thinking maybe a 241... Not cutting real big trees in the Little Belts... -Drew

I just got a ported 261c from Tree Monkey and I am very impressed.

Sweet. Thanks for getting back to me on this very dormant thread. Internet is cool like that.

Yeah, from what I am hearing, a good port adds 17-23% hp gains to a 50cc saw, which just so happens to be the approx. hp loss for my 7,000ft wood cutting elevation. I guess I really do need a port just so I can experience what a stock Stihl pro saw would feel like at sea level...

I just have to decide if I need a 14" bar saw (241) or an 18" bar saw (261), and between old school carbed, and c-m computer-carb... choices, choices... cant go wrong with that sweet new air filter though eh?

Back