Porting Saws on the Cheap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris-PA

Where the Wild Things Are
Reaction score
I thought I'd start a thread for tools and techniques for porting saws when you don't want to pony up for a Foredom grinder and right angle hand pieces and the like.

My first advice for cheap porting is to port cheap saws - don't risk something expensive.

Second, recognize that there are some operations/modifications that you won't be able to do properly, so you might have to compromise and work around that - but this does not mean you can't make a very good running saw.

Third, but most important, is that knowledge doesn't cost money. Just because you have not spent big bucks on tools doesn't mean you can't fully understand what you are doing, and in fact that is what allows one to get good gains without spending a bunch. There is a lot that can be learned by reading threads here.

With that in mind, there are some things you will need to be able to do, especially including measuring port timing. You can do this by means of careful linear measurements, knowing the stroke, piston height, squish clearance and rod length, and then doing some careful drawing and a little trigonometry. However, this is really too much of a PITA to be worth it, and has accuracy issues, so you'll need a degree wheel. You can make one out of a CD and a printed label. I cheated here and turned a mounting bushing at work on the old lathe, but there are other ways, such as an only drill chuck.
IMG_5765-800.jpg
IMG_5763-800.jpg
IMG_5767-800.jpg

Regardless of how you do it, you need the angle numbers to do an effective job.

Next, you will need something to grind on ports. I use a cheap Dremel clone from HF and a variety of tips, but mostly a 1/8" carbide cutter from the hardware store. However, I have a secret weapon - my $10 HF Rotary Tool. This thing is a real POS - it has no front shaft bearing and is basically a toy motor with a small chuck stuck on the shaft. However, it is quite small and comes with some diamond grit tools. It's no right angle hand piece, but it does help get into smaller places and helps with port edges. I've actually ported several engines using only this tool, and I can't believe it still works.
image_12000.jpg

While you're at HT you might want to pick up some measuring tools, like these, although a little better caliper would be good:
image_14905.jpg

The inside spring caliper is good for measuring port widths.

I'll try to add more info later and I hope others will add tools, tips and techniques for economical porting.

My first advice for cheap porting is to port cheap saws - don't risk something expensive.
Not to be a jerk, but IMHO, this only applies if you're careless or haven't done your homework. I actually recommend starting with a decent saw that gets known good gains, and is something you'd want to use when you're done.

Not to be a jerk, but IMHO, this only applies if you're careless or haven't done your homework. I actually recommend starting with a decent saw that gets known good gains, and is something you'd want to use when you're done.
Well, different strokes I guess. With maybe the exception of the GZ4000 all of my saws are considered to be ones nobody would want to use, but I find that with some port work they run great and I enjoy using them. And I do use them to cut the wood that heats my home. I'd have no issues porting a more valuable saw but see no need for one.

In part I think that people who are interested in porting and have not spent a lot on tools will probably also be beginners, which means a high likelihood of mistakes, which is why I recommended starting with something that is not a big deal if it gets damaged. Some may go on to buy more equipment and/or higher priced saws, but other may find their results are good and don't require it.

Great thread--after gaining more knowledge, I'm going to start with a string trimmer! I have more saws and trimmers than any old man should, but duplicates of some good trimmers--not as many tears shed if my first attempt at porting goes wrong!!!

The other thing is what you're out if you mess up. I don't see it being much different between cheap or expensive saws. On the cheap saw, you trash the saw, and on the expensive saw you just trash the cylinder and get another cylinder.

Mike

I did one of my 45cc 346s last winter with just a battery dremal, I matched the lower transfers, widened the intake & exhaust, base gasket delete and muff mod, an el42 carb with a cross drilled main.
Turning 14943 RsPM it lays a whoopin on my other 346s:sweet:

Great thread--after gaining more knowledge, I'm going to start with a string trimmer! I have more saws and trimmers than any old man should, but duplicates of some good trimmers--not as many tears shed if my first attempt at porting goes wrong!!!

With help from forum members, I am in the process of porting my first saw, a 50 cc Husky. The interior of that cylinder is barely enough room to work in and a clamshell 27cc trimmer motor must be very restrictive. It certainly would not be my first choice.

I assume its easier to glue on the flywheel than it is to make chucks to fit all the crank end ? Good idea.

Agreed.
If you are worried about ruining it then you shouldn't be grinding on it.
Cylinders are cheap in general.
A saw that gets good gains from little work is encouragement to learn more.

Sorry, I had the joy of installing a washer/dryer today which required relocating water, electrical and vents.

I ported my Poulan Pro PP338PT trimmer/pole saw and it came out great, but IMO a trimmer needs quite different port timing than a chainsaw. It needs power at a lower rpm and often runs at part throttle - it's just a different kettle of fish.

Chris, where did you get your degree wheel ?
Yeah, as was said I made it. I'm a fan of making my own tools.

I like the smaller diameter wheel because it fits on easily, but you do have to be more careful reading it. In this case I could just scribe a line across the bar stud as an indicator.

IMG_0428-800.jpg

Back