Porting Tools

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theoctagon

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am wondering what tools it takes all of you who port to get the job done? I want to start experimenting and getting the right tools right away will make life much easier. Any and all things used would be great. Also if you have any input for a noobie to all of this that would be great. Thank you in advance.

Randy

For light work, or small ports, I personally like an 1/8" pencil die grinder, with a seperate foot control valve.
Much smaller & lighter than a Dremmel type electric grinder, and is easier to work with, especially in small ports.
For cutters, I use both single & double cut carbide burs, with 1/4" diameter cutting heads in different shapes.
I never run them at very high rpm, as they will tend to plug with aluminum, and I am constantly dipping them in fuel oil, or WD-40 to keep them from plugging.
If the cutter does plug with aluminum, I use a awl, or scribe to pluck the aluminum out of the cutter teeth.
The trick is to see how little material to take off, as you can always take more, but it is difficult to put it back.
I normally finish up with abrasive roles, or small flap wheels.

Sometimes I use just a round file, if the situation calls for it, like widening or 'eye browing' a port.
Just be carefull not to run the tip into the opposit cylinder wall.
A piece of rolled sheetmetal will protect the other side side of the bore.

And don't forget to put a slight chamfer where the port meets the cylinder bore to keep the rings from hanging up on the edge.

I buy much of my cutters from McMaster-Carr, but any machine shop supply house will have the stuff.

Thanks for all the info! I ordered a 1/8" die grinder w/ the foot control off amazon. Just a generic one to see if this is something i can handle or not. I got some cheap diamond crusted burrs but i need to get some carbide as well. i figured the carbide may be a bit too easy to overcut with so i got the other for now. If all goes well and i begin to do well at this i like the machines that cc specialties sells, but thats for another time. I have been trying to research as much as i can w/ the crappy search function on this site. I think what i will do is what Blsnelling told me to do. Do a little work and take pictures post them on here for critique and go from there.

When I attempt going after a new cylinder, I try to pick up a junk one to try ideas on.
You might also want to read through the book by Gordon Jennings, called 'Two Stroke Tuner's Handbook'.
There are different web sites that have it posted in PDF form, on line.

When I attempt going after a new cylinder, I try to pick up a junk one to try ideas on.
You might also want to read through the book by Gordon Jennings, called 'Two Stroke Tuner's Handbook'.
There are different web sites that have it posted in PDF form, on line.

That is a good idea. I have a dolmar 5100 cylinder that is bad. Seems like a good saw to hop up anyway and i know it has been done on here a few times for me to check out as i go. I'm kinda excited to get going on this but my stuff wont come until the 7th ha.

Latest posts

Back