Porting, You get what you pay for

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I've seen these new 2260's are a nightmare to work on so value wise I wouldn't think the standard 200-300 is really out of line. Also, who's to know what fuel has been ran through it and how much grit has been getting past the ****** air filter these things run? Base cut is sloppy surface finish regardless I'd agree.
what does the fuel matter? there is no damage from lack of oil or bad fuel.

saw was clean...tiny bit of sawdust in the intake which is normal for any chainsaw...especially these.

they look intimidating to work on but the fact is that once you have had one apart they are easy. we had this down and pressure tested inside of 15 minutes....called customer and spent 45minutes explaining what we had found and what the fixes were....another 5 minutes and the cylinder was off....45 minutes of phone time again explaining what we found.

FWIW I called who I believe the builder is, not specifically about this but just to get his POA on these saws to see if its consistent with what's found here. I applauded F150 as a business owner for not bashing another business but I do have heartburn over folks that pay $ with good intent and get problems. (Not specific to just this instance.)

You want to act like you're exposing some kind of truth(s) here. You know who the builder is, Did you contact him for any info? Is he a well- respected person on the forums or some flash in the pan?

You've stated it's a 2260, and the porter is a dealer. The saw has a popup. That makes me wonder if you're calling out TLandrum, or maybe it's one of Moody's. Or?.. Or?

Maybe the owner burnt the dang thang up on his own, and the porter did him a solid by patching it back up. Maybe somebody else has been in the saw besides you and the porter.

If you're gonna call somebody out, man up and call them out.
never said it was a dealer...or ? or? or?.. you see i have tried to keep the names out of it and use this as a learning event for all on what to expect and what questions to ask, if the builder wants to step forward and claim his work and defend it, well im all for that but until then we are going to look at the quality of the work and rework.

i dont see any indication that the previous damage was something the owner did....and the owner sure has no control over an air leak at the base gasket

Need more gasket maker around the bearings and base gasket and intake boot to for insurance reasons

All this and not one mention of where the cylinder came from. What I'm seeing here is a cylinder that has damage from a piston with almost no damage. Those little scuffs and scratches on the piston are nothing compared to what it would look like if it had scored that cylinder.
I suspect the brand new cylinder was pulled and never put back on and a used recovery took it's place.

Thats an interesting thought, and could solve why the cylinder wasnt warrantied. I will say good for you nate in trying to keep this constructive. None of my business who built this saw. Ive seen plenty of evidence of the "top builders" showing off their failures, usually in a highly educational thread of its own. Also like brads perspective, curious about the owners expectations etc...

The crank was probably easy to warranty since it could be returned unmodified.

From my viewpoint, there are two totally separate issues here.

First of all, the owner of a saw must accept that the factory warranty is null and void as soon as he has it ported. He's fortunate that he bought it from a dealer that could get the crank warrantied at all. No way though is the factory going to warranty a modified topend. IMHO, the builder did him a favor trying to salvage it, which I would expect. The builder can't be held responsible for topend damage due to a defective crank or bearings.

On the other hand, the really question to me is, what was charged for this "port job". I've caught a lot of flack for doing similar mods and calling it Stage 1. Since no real port work was done, it's worth far less money. If the owner paid $250-$300 for these mods, he got ripped off. The work simply isn't there.
What if a guy payed you 250-300 to do your "port job" and paid the same for what you consider "not a port job" and that saw kicked your saws ass, who got ripped off?

this will be my one and only response to this thread so if you want more ,read it twice.
jonsered 2260 msrp for power head only is $699.95 I believe this sold for 900 plus shipping. so that means $200 over msrp for modified saw.

the saw had a crank bearing failure early on in its life and was sent back to me to be fixed. saw was repaired at no cost other than shipping.
owner was told about the scaring in the cylinder and piston at that time. owner new the cylinder was not 100% and was agreed to try it as it was before putting more money into it. after a few hrs of use the saw was acting up and returned for a carb swap. at no cost other than shipping to the owner. this was the last I heard of the saw until a few days ago.
seems that every time a saw is taken apart and the port work doesn't look exactly how they think it should ,or was told it should,the customer must have been screwed over. ive told people and posted many pictures of exactly what I do to the 562/2260. I may have tried a few minor different things over the years but I have pretty much stuck with the same thing. ive tried about every combo you could try and found this is what I liked best. no one ever gripes about how little is done to the saw when they are out showing off how well they run against others, "until" someone decides that what has been done isn't a proper port job.

just because some guys have a pound of aluminum dust after a job is done ,doesn't mean its the best way. its just there way..

when porting a saw you figure out what timing numbers you like in the saw and that's what you use. so if the transfers have the timing you want from the factory,should I grind it anyway ,just so it looks like I did more work? no...

if the exhaust timing is high enough from the factory should I raise it up just to make it look like I did more work? no...

polishing the exhaust doesn't make a saw faster and is not a necessary step,although I used to polish them like a mirror in the early days,it wasn't needed.

the intake on a 562 has very little room to do anything with ,other than take out the casting flash ,so should I have ground it more just to make it look like I did more work? no...

when you do a pop up piston on the 562 and lower the cylinder to get the squish set it gives you added intake duration and added compression. I like the factory transfer and exhaust timing so I don't touch it.
the lower transfers have a lot of casting flash in them so this needs to be removed. I do not hog out the transfers just for people to think I did more work . in my opinion the more you grind out of them the slower the saw will get.
when lowering the cylinder base on this saw it got some chatter in the finish,did it ruin the cylinder,no it did not. it was using a paper gasket that would conform to the ridges and seal up.

so im still trying to figure out what it is I did wrong??????????
I warrantied a saw at no cost other than shipping
I modified the saw for the agreed cost
once I found out from the guy that started this thread there was a problem with the saw I told him to send it to me id repair it at my cost.
once the owner finally sent me a pm saying he wasn't happy and the saw had more problems I told him to return it for repair at my cost.
I also told him id replace the saw if it got to that point at my cost.
so what im gathering from this thread,is that someone wanted to start trouble where there was none. just because they thought there should be more work done.
this was just lack of communication to the sum of me not knowing what was going on til now.
I have every email from day one on this saw and there is no he said, he said on my end. although in an email from the original poster "the owner changed his story a few times"
I stood by my word from day one of the sale and will continue to do so now even after what the original poster has tried to do.
I found out years ago that when you deal with as many different customers as I have there will always be a unhappy customer somewhere,you may not know it ,but they will be sure and tell everyone but you without giving you the chance to make things right regardless of whose at fault.
ive stayed in business this long because I do whatever I need to to make things right.

I will not be responding to any posts on this thread after this one, ive stated my case. you can think as you want about me or the situation but rest assured I can sleep well at night knowing I have done all that I could to make a customer happy in this case.

All this and not one mention of where the cylinder came from. What I'm seeing here is a cylinder that has damage from a piston with almost no damage. Those little scuffs and scratches on the piston are nothing compared to what it would look like if it had scored that cylinder.
I suspect the brand new cylinder was pulled and never put back on and a used recovery took it's place.
Nah. Those scores are small enough that it may be the plating and aluminum that was cut and ground out and never fully cleaned out before assembly squish band looks clean same as Slug top. It's small **** that caused it.

I don't believe it is being underhanded, there is no difference between a builder who charges for a service and a corporation, if he puts his name out there to make a profit he should be able to take his lumps for performing substandard work, the fact that we are not going public with the builder is pretty nice to say the least, like I said I've had my suspicions and will tear the saw down this weekend deal with it appropriately.
Look above you.

I hope someone didn't charge $300 for a pop-up and re-assembly.
You would think by now you would have learned to keep your mouth shut. Why do you think God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth. If someone posted some of the crap you said about you, you'd be crying like a baby. Think about why so many do not come on here anymore

I warrantied a saw at no cost other than shipping
I modified the saw for the agreed cost
once I found out from the guy that started this thread there was a problem with the saw I told him to send it to me id repair it at my cost.
once the owner finally sent me a pm saying he wasn't happy and the saw had more problems I told him to return it for repair at my cost.
I also told him id replace the saw if it got to that point at my cost

As I read this thread, this was my only question, was/will the builder be willing to make the repairs. Stand up response I think considering the way the thread was heading.

As I read this thread, this was my only question, was/will the builder be willing to make the repairs. Stand up response I think considering the way the thread was heading.
repairs are already taken care of.

I have owned 562 and 262 both ported my Terry. Both ran/run great and i have no complaints. It sounds that he has stood behind his work and repaired and personally warranted this saw as far as being prepared to replace it. I do not have a dog in this AS "preferred porters" fueds that have been taking place latley. If WWS has repaired warranted and helped the customer then I fail to see the purpose in this thread other than trying to run sombody down. I believe the issue is betwen the buyer and seller and seems to have been resolved in a good manner. Imo tlandrums response makes the neg posters in this thread look bad. Also high end porters who have posted here, trying to make themselves look good at someone elees expense, have lost my respect and future business. This thread is a waste of my time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back