Porting, You get what you pay for

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With all due respect...after reading this entire thread including the tlandrum post I've noticed the op is out of line for his entire purpose of this thread. It seems to only be an attack and nothing else.
As if the bearing failure was proven to be the fault of the modification. That would mean bearings never fail unless saws are hopped up am I correct?

Also high end porters who have posted here, trying to make themselves look good at someone elees expense, have lost my respect and future business. This thread is a waste of my time.
This is an oxymoron. You've learned who not to respect and have dodged future bullets in your opinion. How can that be a waste of your time?

I don't care who the manufacturer or service provider is. If they are not prepared to own the issue when it can be reasonably suspected to be their doing, they deserve to be outed. Just as much as those who are willing to stand up and be counted when the time comes that they make a mistake they need to own. The latter type get my business, because they have a phucking backbone and moral compass in a world where disrespect and moral decay has become so common we hardly notice the erosion any more. The former, including those who deliberately mislead, can rot in purgatory.

You would think by now you would have learned to keep your mouth shut. Why do you think God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth. If someone posted some of the crap you said about you, you'd be crying like a baby. Think about why so many do not come on here anymore
For what? Standing behind Terry for not being responsible for the P&C damage? For the owner being fortunate to have bought the saw from a dealer who was willing to replace what was obviously defective crank bearings? For giving Terry kudos for doing the right thing in doing his best to salvage the P&C? For not telling Terry how he should or should not have modded a particular saw? By all accounts, the mods were sold at a discounted rate. I fail to see the problem.

Bearings new or used can fail could be a bad ball, retainer cage, or a flaw bearing races, or as stupid as being pressed on wrong. That is beyond anyone's control. **** happens. .

I don't apologize for my sarcastic remarks. Oh wait I tried taking the blame and having fun with it.

What if a guy payed you 250-300 to do your "port job" and paid the same for what you consider "not a port job" and that saw kicked your saws ass, who got ripped off?
Like any unhappy customer should, I would request that he contact me and have him return the saw. Quit looking for trouble.

Not right, not wrong, just different... Things aren't always as they seem from either end... Sometimes we need to remember these are just chainsaws guys...

If you don't like some business got use it. I know who I'm happy with. Freedom...

With all due respect...after reading this entire thread including the tlandrum post I've noticed the op is out of line for his entire purpose of this thread. It seems to only be an attack and nothing else.
As if the bearing failure was proven to be the fault of the modification. That would mean bearings never fail unless saws are hopped up am I correct?
:crazy2:where was the bearing attributed to terry's work?

I'm thinking that if the owner knew so much about what porting was supposed to look like he should have done it himself.
the owner knows how to put gas in a saw...he also knows when its not running right and sent it back twice....tired of paying shipping fees to get a saw fixed he tried to trade it off and decided on just getting it fixed instead.

Is that fair to your customers charging full boat for a job that could be done at home by most guys that have a local machine shop.

I ain't a porter and don't have a dog in this fight. I do work at one of those "local machine shops", and will offer my opinion as to the cost of cutting a jug. You will be paying $200+ to have the base and squish cut to whatever specifications you provide. We don't have a shelf full of mandrels and fixtures to cut jugs, and we likely don't have appropriate material to make them. I don't know of any other shop that would keep stock on hand that they aren't going to use, or only use once every 10+ years(if that)....and we aren't likely to make them for a single job consisting of a single low dollar part. On top of that, we also assume the risk of damaging/destroying the part. Most likely, we aren't even going to take the job. Assuming we do, and assuming a 50mm jug....

2" UHMW(for the mandrel) is $9.30 a foot, plus shipping. I have no idea what it would cost to ship, but let's call it $10. So $20 to round it off.
Now we have to turn that to fit the bore, so we will figure on a half hour for that. Another $32.50(our shop rate is $65/hr unless you want it right now)
Next is figuring out how to hold the jug and drive it without damaging it...and still being able to move it to get it indicated in. So we build a rinky dink fixture from some random odd lengths on the shelf. There's another $15 in material and an hour($65) spent looking for junk that would work and then making it work.
Now we spend another 45 minutes($48.75) screwing around with the rinky dink fixture, getting the jug to run true, and cutting the base.
If we're lucky, we can cut the squish without moving anything. $0
We might not be, and then have to spend another 1/2-3/4hr fiddling with it to get it right again. $32.50-$48.75
Assuming we didn't have to move anything, we're at $181.25 before tax. You still have no porting done(which we aren't going to do anyway), and no popup.
If we did have to move something. then $213.75 to $230.....still no porting or popup.
If we destroyed the jug with a crappy fixture, setup, or some unexpected cluster**** occurs, we lose money.

I can guarantee that I have removed less material from a part and charged more for it than the "porting" from this thread cost. Should I have taken more off so the customer "got their money's worth", or only taken off what was necessary for optimum function of the part? It's a no brainer IMO. On the other hand, an agreement for services needs to have very precise and appropriate use of language to adequately define the scope of work to be performed. "Porting" implies(to me anyway) work being done on the ports to change the size or shape in some way. That doesn't appear to have been done from the photographs, but there isn't a pic of an unmodified jug for comparison either. I don't know for sure either way. In one of the pictures it doesn't appear that the liner has been matched to the port( or port matched to the liner, however you view it). The jug ain't in my hands, so again, I don't know for sure. I do know that if that's the case, I would be quite displeased at having paid for a service that was not(in my opinion) rendered in full. At the least, I would expect such a flaw to be corrected when "porting" a jug. That said, $200 wouldn't buy you that much at a "local machine shop".

I'll tell you a little more of what I think, based on what's been posted, while I'm here. I think this thread is pretty chicken**** in origin. The issue has been represented by the original poster as if the builder was unwilling to resolve the problem. The poster then admits to not having all of the information necessary to reach anything even close to an informed conclusion, while submitting enough information for others to make a guess as to the builder was. I believe you omitted the builders name purposely in order to avoid a clear case of libel. The peanut gallery has jumped in, clearly without anything resembling an intelligent, logical, thought process, and finally the builder shows up to present his case, by which time the more easily influenced individuals have already formed their bias. Anyway, I'm out of this thread. Ya'll do whatever it is you are going to do. :rolleyes:

This is a good example of why you should buy from a local (reputable ) dealer. Then go cut a bunch wood,the manufacture defects usually show up quick. Then there is no question of what caused what damage. Once broke in then send to get ported.
Umm, perhaps an exception to that rule would be the guys down-under looking for more grr from their work saws and not only finding the extortion of local dealers offensive, a dearth of reliable local builders, but shipping costs to/from USA are not cheap enough for more than a one-way ride.

Perhaps there's an opening for a verified list of USA good buggers who want to play with new saws, to take delivery of and run in, the new saws us fleas on the pimples down here on the arrse end of the world buy, before sending those to the USA builder to do their thing. Heck, if the roles were reversed and NZ was the international hub of saw builders, I'd gladly take a few for the team and run a bunch of new saws before sending off to the builder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back