POS Stihl air filter design

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
Well, I guess most "chainsaw people" with a little experience know very well that traditional stihl air filtration is no good at all, while newer ones are copied from other brands, and work much better!

blsnelling
Well, I guess most "chainsaw people" with a little experience know very well that traditional stihl air filtration is no good at all, while newer ones are copied from other brands, and work much better!

Stihl copies a lot of technology from Husky, IMHO, but air filtration is certainly not one of them. There isn't anything similiar about them. Husky has nothing that equals the filtration of the new MS261 and HD2 filters.

splitpost

splitpost

Nothing but 32:1
Here's the filter media solution. This the new HD2 filter. MCW reports that nothing gets past it.

IMG7149-M.jpg

yep they work really good ,fitted one to my 660 last week first thing i noticed was the revs were up at idle,so after a retune i went out firewood cutting(gum and ironbark), after about 3 tanks of juice i took the rear cover off and thought ,this will be good as the filter was pretty much chokas with sawdust ,pulled it out and it was clean underneath:clap::clap: i havent had a chance to run one on the 880 yet,maybe this weekend:cheers:

Stihlman441

Stihlman441

Addicted to ArboristSite
Dont get me started on this one,i have had mager problems with Redgum dust going THROUGH Stihl HD filters and i have changed all my filters over to the new HD2 and so far all has been good.But i havnt had a dry Redgum for awhile to give them a real work out.
There is heaps of info in this thread.

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/174782.htm

young

young

token asian
But how do you know the dust was going THROUGH the filter and not AROUND the filter ?

There are known leak points around the HD filters. Easily fixed.

The HDII may have fixed those leak points as well.

i dont think thats the problem.

Yep the filter nut was done up and all my saws have a foam tape on the inside if the filter cover to make sure the filter seals.In this pic is where i tryed a foam oiled inside the filter but it restricted air flow to much.

attachment.php

Stihlman441

Stihlman441

Addicted to ArboristSite
I have a 460,2 x 660s and a 880 and a mate has 2 x 660s a 066,a 460 a 880 and they have all had problems with Redgum dust getting through around under or what ever the old HD air filters,even Stihl Australia admits that they are a problem and suggest to use the new HD2 filters.
So why has Stihl came out with the new HD2 filter if there is nothing wrong with the old one. ?.........................

MCW

Somebody's talking crap here & it ain't the tree!
I have a 460,2 x 660s and a 880 and a mate has 2 x 660s a 066,a 460 a 880 and they have all had problems with Redgum dust getting through around under or what ever the old HD air filters,even Stihl Australia admits that they are a problem and suggest to use the new HD2 filters.
So why has Stihl came out with the new HD2 filter if there is nothing wrong with the old one. ?.........................

I'm sure others have had issues with dust getting around bolts and nuts etc but the main problem in Australia with dust ingression is when it's getting through the filter media itself. This is why oiling your filter with no other modifications fixes the problem immediately. This is common across all brands, not just Stihl. I think some people underestimate the kinds of wood dust we have here. Stihl Australia's fix was not to tighten a nut or use an O-Ring or grease, it was to supply the Extreme Conditions kit or now the new HD II kit to fix this well known issue.

ratso

ratso

ArboristSite Operative
Great thread. I had a Baileys filter separate at the seems plastic meets mesh.Baileys sent me a new one.I caught this before any damage.If you are using a Baileys filter you should check the seems.

BloodOnTheIce

BloodOnTheIce

Addicted to ArboristSite
You were using it for a non-intended or designed purpose, beyond the design of
the product and you're SURPRISED you had an issue?

Milling with the saw is a modification of the product, and an extreme
condition and you're griping, wow some people are just whiners.

mtngun

mtngun

Addicted to ArboristSite
You were still using the hard inner baffle, which can cause sealing problems with the HD1 filter.

I suggest the foam inner baffle if using the HD1. The foam does not restrict flow. In use, the foam soaks up spitback from the carb and becomes slightly oily, though I never oil it per se.

But if the HD2 solved your problem, there is nothing wrong with that, other than the price. :msp_tongue:
192894d1312445341-picture-1113-jpg

MCW, Stihl did not need to add an o-ring or what not to fix the sealing problem, they merely needed to change a few dimensions slightly.

I have yet to acquire an HD2 to examine closely, but from the pictures the HD2 appears to have a layer of rubber where it meets the filter cover, serving the same purpose as Stihlman441's foam tape. If Stihl did not believe there was a sealing problem with the HD1, then why did they add that layer of rubber to the HD2?

I could just as easily ask you, if the problem is unique to Australian wood and not American wood, then why is the more expensive HD2 now standard issue in America ? Why are American AS members rushing out to buy HD2's ? :msp_huh:

Regardless, I'm glad to see manufacturers upgrading their air filters. It's a shame to spend good money on a pro saw and then learn that it has a homeowner quality air filter.

MCW

Somebody's talking crap here & it ain't the tree!
MCW, Stihl did not need to add an o-ring or what not to fix the sealing problem, they merely needed to change a few dimensions slightly.

I have yet to acquire an HD2 to examine closely, but from the pictures the HD2 appears to have a layer of rubber where it meets the filter cover, serving the same purpose as Stihlman441's foam tape. If Stihl did not believe there was a sealing problem with the HD1, then why did they add that layer of rubber to the HD2?

I could just as easily ask you, if the problem is unique to Australian wood and not American wood, then why is the more expensive HD2 now standard issue in America ? Why are American AS members rushing out to buy HD2's ? :msp_huh:

I'm not doubting what you're saying mtn in regard to the sealing issues but you sure as hell seem to be doubting the combined knowledge of all the experienced Australian members here when it comes to our fines passing straight through filter elements. We're not all as silly as you seem to be alluding to. I've accepted your advice on how dust manages to get past Stihl filters and believe you 100% but you have constantly questioned both my input, other Aussies here, PLUS Stihl Australia. Dust going through Stihl's filters was an acknowledged warranty problem by Stihl Australia themselves. Have you ever thought that by releasing the HD2 filter Stihl have killed TWO dust ingression areas of concern with the one filter??? You always seem to comment as if there has only ever been one single area of concern with Stihl's filters. I tell you what, call or email Stihl Australia and ask them. Please...

Regardless, I'm glad to see manufacturers upgrading their air filters. It's a shame to spend good money on a pro saw and then learn that it has a homeowner quality air filter.

Me too. Agree on this one :cheers:

Latest posts