possible skidder alternatives.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But who is buying it?
I guess things are a little different in Maine than other parts of the country.The only equipment that doesn't sell good is old CTL's and harvesters.Although my neighbor just bought a '96 Timbco.I've never talked to a logger that isn't looking for a newer or better cable skidder.

if i had somewhere to keep mules and convince my family we needed a few then mabey but unless i can give them about 10 good reasons to get a team of mules its not happeneing. :jester:

well if i rent the machine i will be operating it so no operator costs would be included but thats what i thought about the 10K, to rent it i could just buy my own or even leave the pine in the woods untill i have a bigger machine.

Yeah as a hobby not counting your time is ok, but if it's something you're trying to justify the dollars and cents on then you need to figure in operators cost to get your real cost. When ever I hear someone saying 'not counting my time' with something they are planning on making money on I wonder why they would do it in the first place.

Nice to see some guys from Maine. Where in Mid Coast are you Jon? Short of a skidder, I think anything with a choker works good, (tractor, atv)

Jd 440

If I were you I would get a professional that you have gotten more than one refernce for. If thats not an option get on ebay you can pick a decent 440 up for under 10 with out a problemyou can probably get it around 5 or 6 I would recomend a 440b they have a powershift tranny none of the other 440 models do. There is actually a 540 B on there for 8 right now needs a pump, thats about 2 grand and you would have a decent machine. If you are going to clear cut it what does size matter. It is going to take a damn big tractor to pull a 3ft diameter tree out wholesale.

Monk

as of now the pine is iffy, it may or may not get cut, although i might be getting a 3/4 ton truck, that should probably be able to handle the smaller logs that are in there, most are around 8-10" diameter or less.

im not sure, im actually going to look at the land today, i know my grandfather said that the main area doesnt have much land but off to the sides about 10 feet of the trail were cutting out is where the REALLY big pines are. But im trying to do this as a firewood deal with my grandfather and myself, and if i cut out some of the bigger logs or find that some of the firewood wood is good enough to be sent into the sawmil it will get sent to finance some of the work and the gas.

I have never seen anything other than a 440 B with a powershift unless it was put in but anyhow try to find a powershift sync drives work good but are a pain in the arse.

I have never seen anything other than a 440 B with a powershift unless it was put in but anyhow try to find a powershift sync drives work good but are a pain in the arse.

The sync (direct) drive may be a pain, but I would be a little leary of an old machine with a powershift. When I was looking for a 440 I found one that needed "a little transmission work". I sat down with the JD dealer and he told me that if he did the work the tranny could cost as much as $15000, and for parts only could be as much as $10000.
I went with a direct drive I found, and did the tranny work it needed for a little less than $2000 in parts. The 440-B is an excelent machine for a small operator in my opinion.

Andy

im probably not going to be getting a skidder any time in the near future. I really dont have the money to spend 10-20K on a skidder or the work to need one now. if i did have the work then i might consider it. but right now im going to do some work on my own and probably next summer get a job with a tree company if i can. although i am pretty sure im getting a used Ford F250 and hopefully can use that to get the firewood out of the woods either all cut or in 10-12foot lengths.

Hire a Pro

You've gotten good advice here--take it. With little experience with heavy equipment, forestry science, or logging, the learning curve can be tough. You may think that running a skidder well is simple; not. You stihl have got to get the harvest out to the mill, and get paid.
There are many Consulting Foresters, CPL's (Certified Professional Loggers) around in Maine to interview FIRST. Running a skidder, Timberjack harvester, skilled logging with a chainsaw, or knowing how to make the harvest efficient and productive for all the parties is a career skill.
When we bought our woodlot in 1998, we interviewed 7 Consulting Foresters ( a more qualified class of forester here in Maine and U.S.), then chose the one that met our needs and goals for the woodlot short, and long term. We must have spent a week in all transecting the woods, marking trees, mapping out soil types, species concentrations, and corridors and patch cuts. Yes, the forester takes a well earned cut, yet makes it back for you many times by managing the cutting, the revenue, and the results working WITH the loggers. Worth every dollar. A skilled logging crew gets the job done the way you and the forester planned, and fast. We asked that the work be done in winter only, on snow if possible. Cleaner.
So think about what you and your grandfather want out of the forest: high grading lumber for money only, long term management for diversity and crop trees, recreation, firewood, hunting, wildlife.
Take advantage of the skills around that you may not have in logging and forestry. There'll be plenty of years to enjoy the woodlot after a professional job. JMHO. (Well maybe not so humble :confused: )

Back