Possible Stihl 039 project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tallest

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just this past Saturday a friend gave me, in exchange for a few cords of wood, an 039 Stihl that he got new in the 90's. He's taken good care of it, but never worked on it himself. It has been a firewood saw in national forest and farm land primarily cutting oak or locust. I would say on average it has cut 7-10 cords/year. Last year it started giving him some trouble: hard to start and would sometimes randomly cut off during use. So he replaced it a few months ago with an MS362 C-M.

This is a model I have absolutely no prior experience with. I'm pretty sure it's more a consumer saw than a pro saw, but would it be worth working on? I have nothing to lose, but I don't know where to begin either.

Any thoughts, suggestions, experience?

Youre right that is a “homeowner” type saw. Kind of a binch to work on, but decent power and generalky reliable and durable. As harley said, the condition of top end woll determine where you go with it.

Just to give you up front. The 029 and 039 are essentially the same saw, with just a different piston diameter, as is their more modern reincarnations the ms290, ms310, ms390. But the newer saws have different fuel caps and a different shape top and tank vents.

If you gave a few cordes of firewood for a esentially non running saw your buddy got a good deal. Good hardwood firewood around here is over 100 a face. So rou d numbers thats 300 for a non runner. But if its in good shape and you can make it run well for very little parts you can brake even selling it. Its crazy how much people will pay for something that says stihl or farmboss

If you gave a few cordes of firewood for a esentially non running saw your buddy got a good deal. Good hardwood firewood around here is over 100 a face. So rou d numbers thats 300 for a non runner. But if its in good shape and you can make it run well for very little parts you can brake even selling it. Its crazy how much people will pay for something that says stihl or farmboss

Giving me the saw was afterthought. I’m cleaning up some family property with the intent to eventually re-cultivate deciduous forest, and there is more here than we will burn. We cut down 5 locust trees, and he was happy to have them and help remove them. Mostly we burn oak if we can, and I haven’t started actively selling what extra we have.

The friend in question has been a pivotal figure in my life, and deserves 1,000 free cords if he wants it. Perhaps the “exchange,” as it were, wasn’t the best way to set up the context of how I obtained the saw.

Thats great now that you explained it that way. They are a very popular saw that people love. Just not us saw enthusiasts. We only like pro saws.

Thats great now that you explained it that way. They are a very popular saw that people love. Just not us saw enthusiasts. We only like pro saws.

Agreed. I have a MS390 and it's a great saw. Just my MS360 is stronger and lighter. The 039 should have an adjuoiler at least.

Those 039's were, and still are, a very good saw for what they're made for. Great for firewood and homeowner use, etc., and no EPA crap.
Sounds like you got the saw practically free. It would be well worth putting a few bucks into it, and parts are not hard to find.
But from the symptoms you described, the first thing I'd check is that the tank is venting properly. Might be a real easy fix.
Good luck

All good to know, hopefully it will be a simple fix and it’ll last me a while as a felling saw with 24” bar. 10-20 cuts/year max.

Alas, hunting season happened to me last night. Went out thinking I’d “just look around to see what the deer are doing...” Yeah right, decent buck had to walk right to me. So....

No disassembly it pictures yet, but I’ll get to it ASAP.

Thanks again for the words and the time!

They are pretty easy to work on and parts are readily available.

Back