Possible to sharpen a Samurai hand saw ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaIt

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I tried hand filling one of those and couldn't get any decent results after sharpening for almost an hour. At the risk of sounding like an idiot, what am I doing wrong ?! WTF :)
Thanks

are you using a diamond impregnated file? those teeth are harder than most files. Only way I do those, when forced to, is with a diamond wheel V type on the tool and cutter machine, pia. I avoid them like the plague.

Nope, just a cheap file the local shop clerk sold me, I think I'm filling the file Lol! They're great when they're sharp though...

Silky blades are very soft, judging by the last one in my about a month ago. The teeth he is working on are induction hardened. Likely in the 60-70 range rockwell, vs file maybe 55 same sale.

Silky blades are very soft, judging by the last one in my about a month ago. The teeth he is working on are induction hardened. Likely in the 60-70 range rockwell, vs file maybe 55 same sale.
Thanks a lot for posting, I almost bought the expensive silky sharpening file, apparently for no reason ...

I found something interesting. There's a file from the Samurai brand that's supposedly capable of doing it. Check it here:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samurai-Kanzawa-Japanese-Sharpenner-DFH-70/dp/B074P51CJ3
They call it the Samurai Kanzawa Japanese Saw Diamond Sharpenner DFH-70.
You can find it in other places other than woke Amazon, I just posted that link because of the description that mentions "hard impulse-hardened saw teeth".

Anyone tried it ?

Silky saw blades are induction hardened. Given their huge popularity with the Arborist industry, I don't think it is fair to call them "very soft". They are also nickle plated, which probably contributes to their hardness.

Each Silky tooth is sharpened on 3 different facets, and they take a long time to sharpen. I don't know what saw you are referring to, but I presume it is something made by these guys in Japan.

http://www.samurai-saws.com/

Back