Possibly downgrading my firewood hauler...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife and I traded in a 2wd short-bed, reg-cab V6-5spd Silverado 1500 with 185k and a Hyundai Santa Fe with 200k on an '06 Sequoia 4x4 (the SUV version of your truck) with low miles. After driving it around a bit I understand your passion for that truck. I've had a few trucks mini and half-ton. I also had a 2x4 '92 Toy 22re/5spd which I bought w/110K (for $700.00) and sold with 220k (only because the head cracked out and I couldn't justify the $$$ for a 2x4). I miss that truck dearly as it was an awesome motorized wheelbarrow. I would NOT sell your truck as you know it's history and (I assume) it's in good order. I am in the process of doing what others have mentioned and am buying a '93 4x4 S10 4.3/5spd ext cab. When I'm done it'll have a one-off flat bed, lift, rancho shocks and good tires. It will not get much worse (or better) mileage than my 4x4 '02 F-350 Powerstroke CC/LB dually with a 6spd trans and 4:10 gears. It WILL be cheap to tag, insure, and fix. It will also go places that the dually will not or should not go. If you get a 4x4 mini truck, the mileage won't be much different than your SR5. It will offer less and more though.

I guess after that rant, I would say don't sell your truck. If you really want a small one, buy one right and laugh all the way to the bank. It will compliment the one you have now. think of it as the 50cc/70cc saw plan in trucks.
BRAVO!!! :rock:

I don't think it's worth it to downgrade for the extra few dollars you might save on gas, because then you are stuck with a Chevy S 10 that can't even hardly haul a lawnmower on a trailer, good for nothing. Just my opinion
:laugh::laugh:

If I was you Reggie, I'd get an older 3/4 ton. My wife has an 04 tundra and while I love the thing for commuting it is a pile'o'shite for hauling or even just driving in the woods despite toyota's claims. The Toyota tundra and Nissan Titan are the shittiest 1/2 tons around IMO. About the only 1/2 ton truck I personally think is acceptable for any kind of duty is the f150. Don't tell anyone though cause I'm a Chevy guy.
I would have to disagree, granted 1/2 tons are not going to haul like 3/4 or 1 tons but I have owned many 1/2 ton chevies that have towed and hauled well for 1/2 tons and the 1/2 ton 2001 I have now has 310k on the stock motor. And the tundra 4.7l is a very reliable motor even if the tundra is slightly smaller than the domestic 1/2 tons still I would buy one before a f150 of the 96-2002ish body style. The newer f150's seem to be better, but the newer tundras are also.

If I was you Reggie, I'd get an older 3/4 ton. My wife has an 04 tundra and while I love the thing for commuting it is a pile'o'shite for hauling or even just driving in the woods despite toyota's claims. The Toyota tundra and Nissan Titan are the shittiest 1/2 tons around IMO. About the only 1/2 ton truck I personally think is acceptable for any kind of duty is the f150. Don't tell anyone though cause I'm a Chevy guy.

I don't need a 3/4 Ton...as I stated I barely cut & haul 5-6 cords.
My experience with my Tundra has been wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy different....else I would've sent it packing long ago!
Made my mind up...KEEPING MY TUNDRA...unless I can double my $$$$$$$$$$$$!! :blob2:;)
Thanks for all the feedback...much obliged!

I would have to disagree, granted 1/2 tons are not going to haul like 3/4 or 1 tons but I have owned many 1/2 ton chevies that have towed and hauled well for 1/2 tons and the 1/2 ton 2001 I have now has 310k on the stock motor. And the tundra 4.7l is a very reliable motor even if the tundra is slightly smaller than the domestic 1/2 tons still I would buy one before a f150 of the 96-2002ish body style. The newer f150's seem to be better, but the newer tundras are also.
PREACH!!!!!:bowdown:

we had a whole test done here. we **** kicked all the half tons to see which one held up. the tundra was so bad that by the time we were done on our logging roads the cab had dents in it from where the box was hitting it!!!! of course, the average hack ain't gonna be that hard on a vehicle but i know very well which one held up and handled the best in rough terrain. it was the f150 (which you will never see me drive) :laugh: we actually had a titan snap and axle shaft believe it or not and then later found out the axle was made of carbon fiber!!!! grosse. i have nothing against carbon fiber but it has it's place os use just like everything else and axle shafts should not be one of them.

the wife and i have a tundra and i would not lie saying things that weren't true. it is a commuter truck and does not belong in the bush or hauling big weight. that is my personal opinion on the vehicle at hand. although, it would be one of my top choices if i were only cutting 5-6 cords a year and driving the pavement all the rest of the time though so sounds like you got the right truck for your needs. i get the best of both worlds, tundra for commuting and a sierra for bush bombing.

just be like Dancan and use a mini van or stick with what you got because it works. i can't have a small truck because im 370 lbs and 6'7.

the wife and i have a tundra and i would not lie saying things that weren't true. it is a commuter truck and does not belong in the bush or hauling big weight. that is my personal opinion on the vehicle at hand. although, it would be one of my top choices if i were only cutting 5-6 cords a year and driving the pavement all the rest of the time though so sounds like you got the right truck for your needs. i get the best of both worlds, tundra for commuting and a sierra for bush bombing.
Yep!...wholesalers license for over 20 yrs....Fords, GMC's, Silverodos...I can put my mitts on em pretty cheap...if I were to need em. I never fall in love with any of too much...pieces of metal to accomplish a task...that's it.

Honestly if you want to spare your toy from some of the wear and tear, go find an early '90's Toyota Tacoma (or pickup prior to the Tacoma naming convention) or S10/Ranger V6/4x4. As long as the drivetrain is solid, for scrounging wood the body condition is a moot point. It's going to get banged up and dented anyway and ugly trucks get used more (as you're not afraid of using them).

I like the older smaller Tundras better than the newer larger ones. But like the smaller original Yotas better than the full size...

I like the older smaller Tundras better than the newer larger ones. But like the smaller original Yotas better than the full size...

Diesel toyota hilux like in the vids. There's other youtube vids out there showing them doing some amazing toting and travelling deeds.

You can get the ratsun 720s in 4x4, and they are stout and built well, but not with the diesel in the US, that was an overseas option, and I think some in canada. Those had either a 4 or six gasser in them. There's some forums where the guys converted them, some sorta not too terrible mods are needed to stick the nissan sd22 or 25 forklift diesel in them (I have the sd22), but nothing too terrible. Also can have a turbo hung on them.

*Eventually* I want to do that, 4x4 with the diesel.

Diesel toyota hilux like in the vids. There's other youtube vids out there showing them doing some amazing toting and travelling deeds.

You can get the ratsun 720s in 4x4, and they are stout and built well, but not with the diesel in the US, that was an overseas option, and I think some in canada. Those had either a 4 or six gasser in them. There's some forums where the guys converted them, some sorta not too terrible mods are needed to stick the nissan sd22 or 25 forklift diesel in them (I have the sd22), but nothing too terrible. Also can have a turbo hung on them.

*Eventually* I want to do that, 4x4 with the diesel.
Oh I'm sold bubba. Have thought about puttin a diesel my hilux, if the 22r ever dies. 4x4 diesel small truck is the ****! :D

Oh I'm sold bubba. Have thought about puttin a diesel my hilux, if the 22r ever dies. 4x4 diesel small truck is the ****! :D

Ha! Start scrounging up the engine now..once ya got it sitting there and all rebuilt purty..won't take much gumption to get it swapped! You would have no trouble selling the gas engine to recoup some costs.

I keep trying to scrounge up the 720 4x4 donor truck, come close a coupla times, holding out for swaps though.

You know both those little trucks had one ton dually versions?

Nice to see you came to a decision. I've found the small Toyota to work harder than many trucks built after '95.
Heavy_04.jpg

There was a long discussion here about that one... nearly a ton of Sugar Maple in that load back in 2011. Folks were pretty concerned for safety but that truck was built more like a 1 ton than people imagined. Sadly, it got parked last summer due to rust in the cab.

As far as small truck options, S-10's aren't that good IMO and GM's small trucks don't get great mileage if they're 4X4 equipped. I'm a fan of the buy old, build to suit approach since it's usually cheaper. I actually sold off a '95 Blazer that routinely got 16 mpg to get a '99 Suburban a few years ago. I replaced the blown 5.7 (Intake gaskets allowed coolant into the oil) with a 302 Chevy of my own build. That truck gets 20 mpg on the highway fairly consistently. It has more space and more comfort than the Blazer, is still 4X4, and yet gets better mileage. When needed I have a car trailer with sides that I use to bring home firewood.

Ultimately the expected goal of both trucks is slightly different. If your truck already meets most of your goals then you'd better have a really good reason for letting it go. Trading on a whim is only good if you like to gamble, and a loss here could last for years. I'd stay with what you got and take time to borrow or test drive friend's rigs before deciding to let yours go.

Back