Possibly downgrading my firewood hauler...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can haul way more in a utility trailer behind a 1/2T than you can in the bed of a 3/4T. This may be an economical way for you to go, just something with 2 axles you can put up sideboards on......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys,
A lot of thing have changed for me in the past 6 months, and I'm looking closely at possibly selling my full size 03 Tundra Access Cab V8 with 169K.
At best I cut 4-5 cords a year...so its not a truck needed for survival or work related.
I've got several good offers...I can get about 35% more than I paid for it from a friend of mine.

I'm looking at taking some of cash and buying a smaller truck ext- cab...perhaps a Ford Ranger, GMC Sonoma or maybe a Tacoma Pre-Runner with higher miles. Might just buy a decent utility trailer for extra hauling as-needed.

Funny, thing even though this truck really sucks down the gas...I've really grown kinda attached to the power, comfort and safety of it...almost getting the @#$ blues before I sell it!!! lol:cry:
Have any of you guy downgraded in trucks before...is the fuel/insurance savings worth it...did you REGRET it?
As small trucks go...What would you studs recommend or AVOID?

View attachment 359641View attachment 359642
Thanks,
Reg
I down sized to a smaller truck my gas mileage was no better with my big truck. I have Fords a 250 / a350 / a450 would not trade down no way. Take a small truck load it down your fuel mileage will drop big time. I put a rank of firewood in my 250 fuel mileage stay the same. I hauled a 3 1/2 ton log on my 450 fuel mileage did not change. The little truck I had a rank of firewood in the bed fuel mileage went to about 8. But if you looking for something to drive to church on Sunday be alright I guess. Later

You can haul way more in a utility trailer behind a 1/2T than you can in the bed of a 3/4T. This may be an economical way for you to go, just something with 2 axles you can put up sideboards on......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Or add hydraulic tilt and make unloading really easy.

I have a 20' power tilt deck car hauler I use for big loads of wood. Had 3 cords on it the other week in split and just tilted it up and turned the rounds to roll off the end one by one.

A actual dump trailer would prob be better for a 1/2 ton though because I doubt a 1/2 ton truck would have touched that 20' trailer with 3 cords of black oak on it. Even felt it behind the one ton with the bed full.

I down graded from my 09 F350 crew cab 8'4" box to a 14 ram 1500 quad cab 6'4" box in December, I miss the power 6.4 diesel juiced to the tits to a 5.7 gas stock. I miss the height 35" tires leveled to 33" leveled. I miss the length except every time I have to turn or park. I miss the box capacity and towing. If I didn't blow the transmission and turbo in the Ford I'd have kept it for another couple years. However I am *grind my teeth* happy I down graded. It's better for fuel, and space, comfort. However you have a vehicle that meets your needs why get a different vehicle that meets your needs. I don't need anything my dodge has that my ford didn't except that my dodge runs and ford died

Find a nice clean pre 2004 tacoma, something with a clean frame and enjoy. The cost of ownership of a toyota tacoma is hard to beat. I am going on 40k without any issues besides oil changes, however it will need tires soon. Our 1998 carmy gave use over 100k miles of driving for less than $1200 of labor and parts that's including tires, brakes everything but oil changes. We sold it with just under 200k to purchase the tacoma.

I'm pretty sure ford stopped making trucks in 79. I haven't driven a post 79 ford truck worth a f#ck. The new f 150s are a joke.

Find a nice clean pre 2004 tacoma, something with a clean frame and enjoy. The cost of ownership of a toyota tacoma is hard to beat. I am going on 40k without any issues besides oil changes, however it will need tires soon. Our 1998 carmy gave use over 100k miles of driving for less than $1200 of labor and parts that's including tires, brakes everything but oil changes. We sold it with just under 200k to purchase the tacoma.

I'm pretty sure ford stopped making trucks in 79. I haven't driven a post 79 ford truck worth a f#ck. The new f 150s are a joke.
100-200k is nothing for a Toyota, they are 300k+ vehicles.

Ford had an off spell in the early 80s' with their truck, but have made many good models since. I do like the pre 80 models though.

The S10 I'm going to build, once done will give Don's truck a pull for it's money. '93 ext-cab 4x4, 4.3 V6/5spd. It will have 31's, Helwig overloads, good shocks and a RV cam. should be a nice micro-skidder. Once it's done, I'll build a tow-able log arch and it'll really earn it's keep. And it has functional A/C for weekend creampuffs like me... LOL

The S10 I'm going to build, once done will give Don's truck a pull for it's money. '93 ext-cab 4x4, 4.3 V6/5spd. It will have 31's, Helwig overloads, good shocks and a RV cam. should be a nice micro-skidder. Once it's done, I'll build a tow-able log arch and it'll really earn it's keep. And it has functional A/C for weekend creampuffs like me... LOL
My 94 4wd Yota is all stock, 5sp, 4cly, but it might surprise ya. ;)

The 22re in my old '92 toy was one of the gutsiest 4-bangers I've ever come across. I'd rather have that than a 3.0 any day, so I DO understand where you're coming from Don. I just couldn't justify buying a new head (to replace a cracked one) in a 2x4 (no a/c or pwr steering) truck. If it would have been a 4x4, I'd have done it without batting an eyelash.

Good ole 22r it's a shame you can't buy one a early 90s yota new today. Better yet one of them chevy luv 4x4s with a diesel. My friend had one the mpg was crazy

The 22re in my old '92 toy was one of the gutsiest 4-bangers I've ever come across. I'd rather have that than a 3.0 any day, so I DO understand where you're coming from Don. I just couldn't justify buying a new head (to replace a cracked one) in a 2x4 (no a/c or pwr steering) truck. If it would have been a 4x4, I'd have done it without batting an eyelash.
Agreed, I wouldn't put big money in a 2wd. I have to have 4wd here! Bryan, that S-10 will do ya right.

Good ole 22r it's a shame you can't buy one a early 90s yota new today. Better yet one of them chevy luv 4x4s with a diesel. My friend had one the mpg was crazy
you should drive one of the 96-2002 tacomas with the 2rz or 3rz (2wd and 4wd respectively), it will blow the 22r or 22re out of the water in performance and longevity.

Dave630 makes a great point, I regularly haul over 1/2 cord of green oak using my tacoma and a nice heavy duty single axel trailer.

you should drive one of the 96-2002 tacomas with the 2rz or 3rz (2wd and 4wd respectively), it will blow the 22r or 22re out of the water in performance and longevity.
those are definitely better than the 3VZE 's, since those were just big heavy valve burning turds in those trucks...

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you will regret downsizing later.
Down sizing is like trading a pretty wife for a ugle one I had a ford 150 now I got a 250 ford 350 GMC 450 ford all are diesel I'm looking for a 550 now. I you just haul wood around for the fun of it. I bought a new little truck it didn't take me long to get rid of it If I had the 450 then I would have hauled around for a spare truck. and a truck with out a dump bed on it is usless but these are my thoughts sorry if I hurt somebody fellings I beenat firewood hauling for 30 plus years If your going to down size go get a side by side then you can go to the wood and fill the other seat up with firewood sorry agin later

Hey guys,
A lot of thing have changed for me in the past 6 months, and I'm looking closely at possibly selling my full size 03 Tundra Access Cab V8 with 169K.
At best I cut 4-5 cords a year...so its not a truck needed for survival or work related.
I've got several good offers...I can get about 35% more than I paid for it from a friend of mine.

I'm looking at taking some of cash and buying a smaller truck ext- cab...perhaps a Ford Ranger, GMC Sonoma or maybe a Tacoma Pre-Runner with higher miles. Might just buy a decent utility trailer for extra hauling as-needed.

Funny, thing even though this truck really sucks down the gas...I've really grown kinda attached to the power, comfort and safety of it...almost getting the @#$ blues before I sell it!!! lol:cry:
Have any of you guy downgraded in trucks before...is the fuel/insurance savings worth it...did you REGRET it?
As small trucks go...What would you studs recommend or AVOID?

View attachment 359641View attachment 359642
Thanks,
Reg
My 250 power stroke gets 26 mile to the gal empty on flat road. My GMC 350 454 get I don't want to know MPG. My LCF 450 get 30 mpg empty flat road. They make me money so I stay with big but under 26000 gross tons

100-200k is nothing for a Toyota, they are 300k+ vehicles.

Ford had an off spell in the early 80s' with their truck, but have made many good models since. I do like the pre 80 models though.
Yep...you're not telling me anything new. I sold & financed them for yrs at a Toyota dealership...although I'd been in the business for years...still, I had never seen so many people buy so many high mileage vehicles in all of my life...I rarely sent anything to the Auction or did wholesale!

Latest posts

Back