Posting a Craig's List add

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're selling a high dollar, function specific item. CL doesn't generally attract those types of people.
I would try another venue.

Ah, you never know. My wife looked on CL for a harpsichord one time. I told her there was NO WAY that any respectable musician would put a remotely decent harpsichord on CL.

It's sitting in our music room right now!

What's fb?
You are correct on person contacting you about being in Military or Job does not allow time off, will pay asking price with Paypal and arrange for pick up, get it all the time usually right after listing. Sell saws and equipment with Craigslist. Just sold a $32,000 Loader for a friend on CL. Just reply, will only do a face to face transaction with cash and they stop. Ebay and Paypal fees add up fast. Your's is a great unit and may want to build fees into price and get added exposure with ebay. Sold a boat on ebay, had a listing fee and selling fee, was not 10%, but a fixed fee and took cash at sale to stay away from Paypal. Good luck with your sale.

I had a guy that emailed me last year trying to sell a TW6. He wanted something like 10k for the setup!

I had looked up the specs, and I couldn't see how they cost so much. Decently built, but the cycle time was quite slow. I remember it being about the same as my ~$2000 "box store" splitter.

For commercial use (what it's designed for) I'd expect to see maybe 3-5 second cycle. Afterall, time is money.

I just say that because it'll probably be a hard sell. The group of people willing to pay $$ for a splitter is pretty small.

I just say that because it'll probably be a hard sell. The group of people willing to pay $$ for a splitter is pretty small.
Very true.
It seems to be way more splitter than a TW-5. Same hydraulic pump, larger engine, larger cylinder, larger stand alone fuel tank, dump valve, hydraulic tank may be the same (?), but cycle time is faster also.
As I said before, I bought it for large tree service wood, and it is great for chunking up that size stuff. 066 w/25" bar.
IMG_1476.jpgIMG_1472.jpgIMG_1384.jpgIMG_1385.jpgIMG_1362.jpgIMG_1361.jpg IMG_3343.jpgIMG_3279.jpg IMG_4625.jpgIMG_4630.jpg

There is one drawback to this splitter.
You need a key to start it.
Surprising how many times I've gone to start it, and didn't have the key with me in the wood lot.
The flip side is, I turned the key on to read the hour meter when I first listed it last April, and left the key on over night, which added twelve hours on the meter.
It reads ninety, but really has about seventy eight hours.

For commercial use (what it's designed for) I'd expect to see maybe 3-5 second cycle.

I believe 8 second cycle time is pretty normal, pretty standard, for a two to ten thousand dollar machine. The extra money is quality components and beef. This splitter weighs 1,449 pounds. It is no light weight, and Timberwolf built it to last the daily grind. I think the hydraulic tank is 20 gallons, and a GX 630 twin cylinder, 18 to 20 hp., pulling a 22 gpm pump. There are better designs. For example, I would have like to try the vertical, table splitters with log lift, but they were the next step up, and considerably more money. I wanted a splitter with a log lift and adjustable four-way. I read some bad reviews, and experiences, with some custom builders, and one name brand. I kept coming back to Timberwolf after seeing and reading some of the posts on here about them. I don't regret buying it. If I could get some logs for it at a decent price I will keep it. Has not happened this summer, so it is now listed for sale. Three to five second cycle times? I've only read that on circular blade processors in the upper five digit dollar numbers. You probably would not want it on a big log, log splitter anyway. You still have to man handle and re-split, even with the vertical splitters. Then there is fatigue after a bit where your reflexes slow down. Processors split in a cage, or trough with shields.
I think I 'saved time', cumulative cycle time if you will, with my Timberwolf by not getting the six-way splitter wedge for it. For one, many people posted they had one they did not use. Several reasons, but jamming seemed to be the main reason. Having to re-split anyway was another. Timber wolf used to make a TW-5 fast cycle splitter. A TW-5 with a smaller cylinder and less tonnage. They also used to make a TW-6 with a box wedge. I believe both are discontinues, and assume it is due to tonnage issues, but perhaps cost also with the TW-6.

I've had good success on Craigslist. I've sold many things and bought many things on CL over the years. Post it in multiple cities but change the title just a little. don't be afraid to state in the add to call, put your phone number. I don't see why people are so afraid to put their number in an ad. I want to talk to the potential buyer so I can get a feel for them. You will still get some emails and maybe texts but I respond with "call if interested please" and they either will or wont.
Just yesterday I sold two items on CL, I put the adds up on Sunday night about 9:00 pm , got the first call at 9:30, they guy picked it up yesterday afternoon and the other item was sold by noon.
I price fairly, want the stuff gone and try to list what I know about the items.
The items I sold were a 6' Mott flail mower, it was ugly as sin, needed one side bearing and had been welded up and reinforced, priced it at 300 and it was gone by noon. I could have sold 10 of those!
The other item was a 6' King Kutter rotary mower,t he guy who called Sunday night called me back in the morning, he had been searching for some time for one, he picked it up yesterday afternoon, I sold it for 600, about half of a new one and it was in great shape. they came with a tractor I bought and I have no use for them.
when i do my number I do it like this : Call eight zero two 555 1234 that way bots can't pick it up.

I have had pretty good luck saleing on CL. I Bought 8 large hyd cyl from up in Mn or Mi, cant remember, anyways, I wanted 2 of them but had to take the whole pallet to make shipping feasible. I Listed the extra 6 on CL and sold them all within days. Made enough to pay for the cyls I kept, so basicly, for a few min of internet time and a few phone calls I got what I wanted for free. Sold a Isuzu "pup" truck with diesel engine in less than a week. Doubled my money on that. I had a few contact me wanting to help me sale and wanting to send money orders and such, but I tell them cash in my hand when they pick it up and that pretty well ends the conversation. I have also had to deal with the scammers when I was trying to buy a boat. Anymore, If I am searching Cl and find a too good to be true deal, I just mark it as spam and CL will take the ad down. I like to use google image search on those items. Usually can find the pic listed on several sites, with different locations. Sure sign its a scammer that has stole a legitimate for sale pic and is using that pic to sucker someone in. Another give away is someone giving only a gmail address for contact info. I will google the email address and usually it will show up in the search engine as a scammer. If address is being used in scams, I mark the ad as such and CL takes the ad down.

It'll probably sell in a month or two. Hard to sell stuff like this in the summer.
If it doesn't sell this Fall, then it's priced too high.

I'm sure if I dropped a zero off the price, it would move rather quickly.
I've had one response, but has not gone anywhere as yet.
What would 1,500 pounds of scrap go for?
or, 1,350 pounds subtracting 20 gal. of hydraulic fluid.
My Super Splitter is calling me...
One of the custom splitter mfg's that I follow will sell competing brand trade ins on their site. Perhaps they could consign yours as a "trade in"?

A tw-6 is going to be a tough sell unless you are willing to take a bath on it. It is simply too big of a machine for the average “joe homeowner”. I passed on one several years ago that was $6k. Try placing ads at your local farm stands. As crazy as it sounds, the simple one-page ad with tear off number work amazingly well. It might help to get the word out about your machine. You can also try to contact the company who sold you the machine or timberwolf directly. They might be interested in buying back the machine or know of someone who is looking. Good Luck.

Latest posts

Back