Posting mpeg videos

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marky Mark

Hell's Kitchen Trapper
Reaction score
I just opened a yahoo briefcase account so posters can post there mpegs if you want the user name and password send me an email at [email protected] Who knows where this will takes us. once we hit the 30Mb limit we will have to come up with other ideas.

Most people here use windows so if you are going to post videos let's try to use windows media player for simplicity sake. I guess us few that use Linux will have no problems either. Mac users your on your own.

MPEG is a universal standard. Anyone with a somewhat modern computer of any type should be able to watch them. AVI and WMA are the more restricted types.

MPEG is <i>supposed</i> to be a standard, but I've encountered some that have been encoded with some weird Microsoft codec or something so that I'm unable to use them in the standard, Linux.

I think it's a great idea, Mark, but my vote (if it counts for anything) would be for standard MPEG streams that haven't been touched by WiMP (unless it can do so without lifting it's leg on the data).&nbsp; And Quicktime would leave me out in the cold as well last I heard.

Glen

Yes Glenn the standard is mpeg. but most hotdog computer users get sucked into the bla-bla programs. Just posting on a forum doesn't mean your computer savy. I always try to speak in laymans terms as far as computers.

So an behalf of the few Linux users please post in standard Mpeg.
John in Ma I hate to break it to but most people are using linux, you just don't know it. 73% of the internet is powered by Linux, most cars,CNC machines, watches, every navy boat is powered on the unix-Linux flavor. You don't think they would use windows on a Aircraft Carrier do you?? They tried it, Microsoft gave them the software and hardware the system froze.Today they run Linux. This website is powered on Linux.

And to be chainsaw related Husky uses Linux.

Hi Mark.

That is a kind thought, and it would be sweet indeed, but here's a cut-n-paste from a terminal window:

<font face="fixed" size="+1">$ for j in husqvarna stihl stihlusa; do wget -Y off -S --spider $j.com; done
--08:45:26-- http://husqvarna.com/
=> `index.html'
Resolving husqvarna.com... done.
Connecting to husqvarna.com[193.183.104.114]:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response...
1 HTTP/1.1 200 OK
2 Set-Cookie: BIGipServerLive=100706496.20480.0000; path=/
3 Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.0
4 Date: Sun, 04 May 2003 13:45:58 GMT
5 Content-Length: 892
6 Content-Type: text/html
7 Set-Cookie: ASPSESSIONIDQSSTABDA=ILHPDCNCEGMMKJCHOEJJCPHJ; path=/
8 Cache-control: private
9 Connection: close
200 OK

--08:45:27-- http://stihl.com/
=> `index.html'
Resolving stihl.com... done.
Connecting to stihl.com[212.184.80.170]:80... connected.
1 HTTP/1.1 200 OK
2 Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.0
3 Content-Location: http://stihl.com/Default.htm
4 Date: Sun, 04 May 2003 13:45:59 GMT
5 Content-Type: text/html
6 Last-Modified: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 14:31:59 GMT
7 ETag: "e8a2807836eac21:a48"
8 Content-Length: 25952
200 OK

--08:45:28-- http://stihlusa.com/
=> `index.html'
Resolving stihlusa.com... done.
Connecting to stihlusa.com[64.82.99.176]:80... connected.
1 HTTP/1.1 200 OK
2 Date: Sun, 04 May 2003 13:46:00 GMT
3 Server: Apache/1.3.26 (Unix) FrontPage/5.0.2.2623
4 Last-Modified: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 15:23:12 GMT
5 ETag: "718e57-5252-3e885d60"
6 Content-Length: 21074
7 Keep-Alive: timeout=15, max=100
8 Content-Type: text/html
200 OK

$</font>

So we see (by the "Server:" header in each response) there's only one sensible IT department of the three... (and that husky sets two cookies on ya just for knocking on the door)

I still like your idea and thank you for your efforts.&nbsp; It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Glen

Glen I don't think alot of users will understand the Apache but as far as husky goes in house they use linux. Instead of me trying to break typing records I should drop it down to 60 words per minute and read the bs out of my fingers.

> as far as husky goes in house they use linux

Well, some users here have been stating that Husky is on top of the technology curve, so I'd believe it.&nbsp; It's probably the marketing dept. that oversees the websites anyway, and not the engineers.

Glen

Mark, your response doesn't seem terribly coherent to the original posts. What are you trying to say?

Originally posted by Marky Mark
Yes Glenn the standard is mpeg. but most hotdog computer users get sucked into the bla-bla programs. Just posting on a forum doesn't mean your computer savy. I always try to speak in laymans terms as far as computers.

So an behalf of the few Linux users please post in standard Mpeg.
John in Ma I hate to break it to but most people are using linux, you just don't know it. 73% of the internet is powered by Linux, most cars,CNC machines, watches, every navy boat is powered on the unix-Linux flavor. You don't think they would use windows on a Aircraft Carrier do you?? They tried it, Microsoft gave them the software and hardware the system froze.Today they run Linux. This website is powered on Linux.

And to be chainsaw related Husky uses Linux.

John,
Here’s what I am trying to say not everyone uses standards when it comes to files. If an apple user posts a video clip in Quick Time then a Linux user can’t view it. If someone installs AOL 8.O and doesn’t read while clicking away than they can make the Aol viewer change the file association. Same with Winamp. What I was trying to do was see how many people would use it to post videos.

From there my intention was to maybe add another computer to my network of web servers I own for people to put larger files than what the AS site will host. I would be supplying the Bandwidth no charge. Not to mention the time it would take me to maintain the fileserver plus the cost of the hardware.

To me it seems obvious you just can’t make everyone happy so before this project gets underway I would like to bail now. I will email you the account info and then you can take over. I feel bad for Dennis, it must be tough trying to moderate this site.

Last edited:
> before this project gets underway I would like to bail now

Mark, don't quit on us yet!&nbsp; Nobody's even posted any clips yet, have they?

Glen

Mark, Are you seeing something I'm not? I got your email. I'm a little confused as to what's prompting this change in attitude. An MPEG repository for AS members sounds like a neat idea. That's cool. I'm for it and it's fine with me for it to be there. I think lots of folks will sooner or later post vids when they feel like it. Keeping it MPEG is a good idea, too--I haven't had any trouble viewing them on my various platforms.

However, I have neither the time, money (I could buy several good cars for that), nor a great interest in joining in the setting up and administration of a media server. I also can't say I want to be the one in charge of that Yahoo account. It's your baby, not mine. Give your account info to someone else if you really drop it on a whim.

Will someone please tell me what the hell I'm missing? The ideas and attitudes here seem to go beyond the topic.

Back