Poulan 25D. Worth anything?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acarpenterdad

I like Husqvarna chainsaws...
Reaction score
I saw this saw at a little store thats like a perpetual garage sale. Its been sitting there a couple of weeks. The owner said it ran and the compression feels decent. He's asking 15 bucks. Is it worth it? I dont need it, but im needing parts for other saws. Maybe i could resale it and get what i need...thoughts?

Attachments

• 20190907_103614.jpg
    20190907_103614.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 20
As long as the p&c are good they're a very easy saw to work on. Great little top handle for trimming and pruning.
That's the metal version so you'll need to take it apart to replace the fuel line, the plastic ones the fuel line went through the handle.
I have several of both types and enjoy them.
Homelite collector in training [emoji879]
12cfc91731354f1a55baf07d5e4cdc87.jpg

As long as the p&c are good they're a very easy saw to work on. Great little top handle for trimming and pruning.
That's the metal version so you'll need to take it apart to replace the fuel line, the plastic ones the fuel line went through the handle.
I have several of both types and enjoy them.
12cfc91731354f1a55baf07d5e4cdc87.jpg
Cool. I do want a top handle, but not one with a manual oiler and no chain brake.

For $15 I would leave it. Taking that cylinder off, tank and all is a pita. Oil seals are impossible to get and if I remember right you have to split the case to put them in. I have 3-4 laying around here that are worthless IMO.

Great little saws and easy to work on, but oil pump diaphragms are becoming hard to come by if you happen to need one. Almost easier to buy another one of the little Poulans just for the oil pump parts as they all use the same basic setup. None have chain brakes, but later ones have automatic oil pumps. And yes, free would be a better price for one o' those. LOL

Another great top handle option that shows up cheap everywhere is a Homelite Super 2 with the dual trigger. Can use it as both a rear and top handle saw. Nice top handle balance with a small bar. Another easy to work on saw. Again, automatic oiler, but no chain brake.

A MiniMac may be tempting because they're everywhere and cheap and great saws when running right, but there is a definite 'inconvenience factor' when needing to work on them. Known to have carb issues depending on carb and tend to vapor lock under certain conditions. 'Bout the only one of the cheap little saws with a chain brake, tho.

For $15 I would leave it. Taking that cylinder off, tank and all is a pita. Oil seals are impossible to get and if I remember right you have to split the case to put them in. I have 3-4 laying around here that are worthless IMO.
You can send them my way!

You can send them my way!

My dad had one that he really like as it was the first model Poulan made of the little saws. I still have it and the last time I started it ran right. It has almost zero AV, manual oiler only and came with a 1/4 chain, sprocket and a solid nose bar. It had a small little muffler that was basically a straight pipe, talk about loud. He use it a lot as we built two tobacco barns with it. As I said earlier other than the sentimental value of that one saw the others I have are not much.

No oil pump diaphragm is used on the early “manual only” 25D, and the crank seals are readily available in SKF brand. You don’t need to split the case open to install new crank seals.

It’s the orange & white euro saws’ crank seals that are now impossible to find.

The 530022124 oil pump diaphragms, used on the later S25DA saws, can easily be rebuilt with new diaphragm material.

The green S25CVA & last of the series (yr 1993) yellow & black Poulan power pro S25AV all had full AV mounts on both handles & make a great little limbing saw.

I'm with Hotshot. Always liked these little rascals. Way more power than an XL2/Super2(though I like those too). Easy to work on for me(at least compared to a Mini mac). I gave 15 bucks for an S25DA about a year ago. Was missing the diaphragm for the auto oiler. Carb kit and fuel line got it going. Paint looked nearly New, with barely used bar and new chain on it. Oh yeah, needed duckbill valve in gas cap.0409191849a_HDR.jpg

I'm with Hotshot. Always liked these little rascals. Way more power than an XL2/Super2(though I like those too). Easy to work on for me(at least compared to a Mini mac). I gave 15 bucks for an S25DA about a year ago. Was missing the diaphragm for the auto oiler. Carb kit and fuel line got it going. Paint looked nearly New, with barely used bar and new chain on it. Oh yeah, needed duckbill valve in gas cap.View attachment 758283
It just has no appeal to me as a project saw.

I'm with Hotshot. Always liked these little rascals. Way more power than an XL2/Super2(though I like those too). Easy to work on for me(at least compared to a Mini mac). I gave 15 bucks for an S25DA about a year ago. Was missing the diaphragm for the auto oiler. Carb kit and fuel line got it going. Paint looked nearly New, with barely used bar and new chain on it. Oh yeah, needed duckbill valve in gas cap.View attachment 758283
My first chainsaw in 1978. I ran the hell out of mine for 20 years and then put it out to pasture when I got newer saws. Manual oiler was NBD; your thumb soon learned to push the button occasionally. Just don't run it out of fuel; that metal body will get too hot and it vapor locks.

I’ve got the sears model in school bus yellow, haven’t run it in a while. I prefer my ms 200t for the trim jobs.

It just has no appeal to me as a project saw.

Not really much of a project there even if you rebuilt the whole saw. If you want a top handle project saw challenge, find a Stihl 020AV top handle (not 020T) in a box and have at it! A couple of other Stihl candidates would be an 019T or an 015L with the latter popping up on CL and elsewhere fairly often and relatively cheap. The 019T is a bit more modern design and a very capable top handle saw when running right. The 015L is an older design all magnesium saw that is also a strong runner when dialed in.

Echos are another option altogether, but for cheap and readily available you aren't going to beat the little Poulans regardless of what vintage, color, or brand they're wearing.

Not really much of a project there even if you rebuilt the whole saw. If you want a top handle project saw challenge, find a Stihl 020AV top handle (not 020T) in a box and have at it! A couple of other Stihl candidates would be an 019T or an 015L with the latter popping up on CL and elsewhere fairly often and relatively cheap. The 019T is a bit more modern design and a very capable top handle saw when running right. The 015L is an older design all magnesium saw that is also a strong runner when dialed in.

Echos are another option altogether, but for cheap and readily available you aren't going to beat the little Poulans regardless of what vintage, color, or brand they're wearing.
i might look into one for a winter project. It would be nice to have one.

Back