Poulan 306A Muffler questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The body you have is the cast type and takes the third choice, cast...

Some came with cast and others with the stamped sheet metal, I'm not familiar with the one in the first link though.

Bill

Thanks

Thank you for answering. see i just got this saw on Friday from my friend for free and he said it wouldn't run and had no spark and the recoil was bad other than that its clean, so i checked for spark and it has some very good spark to it, so i checked the recoil and it was bad so it is temporarily fixed until i can get a spring, then took the top plate off the carb and noticed gunk on the filter, then the air filter was missing a lot of flocked material so i removed the rest and cut some 1/8" sticky back felt and put it on the original screen , lastly it had no muffler so i took apart a muffler off an echo trimmer that was seized and fit the top part of it to the muffler body and and it made it a lot quieter but i just have a feeling that there should be something inside the muffler it self. will try and post a pic of what i did tomorrow

You will see in your first couple of links a flat plate with screened holes, this sandwiches between the two muffler halves and quiets things down a bit.
Not particularly quiet saws in any case though...

Bill

You will see in your first couple of links a flat plate with screened holes, this sandwiches between the two muffler halves and quiets things down a bit.
Not particularly quiet saws in any case though...

Bill

Yeah tell me about it, when i first started it up to see if it would start it echoed for a couple of seconds:dizzy:. do you think my filter set up should be ok?
Jack.

Here is a pic of my 306 type saws where you can see all the muffler choices. The two in the center have the cast mufflers, like yours has. The two outer ones are the tin type, with the one on the far right being an early 2 screw type. While the one on the far left being the newer single screw type, which is just like the one on my 245A.

AllPoulan022_zps1c463f62.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

:cheers:
Gregg,

Here is a pic of my 306 type saws where you can see all the muffler choices. The two in the center have the cast mufflers, like yours has. The two outer ones are the tin type, with the one on the far right being an early 2 screw type. While the one on the far left being the newer single screw type, which is just like the one on my 245A.

AllPoulan022_zps1c463f62.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

:cheers:
Gregg,

Nice 306`s you have there Greg, I have the two my dad and I used for 5 or so years for logging and firewood duties. They originally came with the two screw tin mufflers that wore/rusted out after many years of faithful service and the saws were too loud to run with bad mufflers so they got shelved. Found new cast mufflers for them after finding the internet and now they run much quieter.

I have a feeling that the sticky felt is going to have problem with getting clogged
And then not being cleanable.
if you find the saw keeps needing to have the carb tweaked a smidge leaner
Then it could be the filter is building up stuff on top of the glue layer.
Also watch closely for dirt being pulled in around the edges
as it would possibly point to restriction in the felt.

But do post how it works out as we're always needing ways to refilter
the oldies!

I don't want to hijack the thread, but since we are talking about 306/245 mufflers....... Ihave one of each, both are the cast, one bolt type and I can't for the life of me find a way to keep the bolts from backing out after a tank of gas or so. Tried red locktite tried a lock washer on a longer bolt. Nothing...
Anybody had this problem and found a solution???

I don't want to hijack the thread, but since we are talking about 306/245 mufflers....... Ihave one of each, both are the cast, one bolt type and I can't for the life of me find a way to keep the bolts from backing out after a tank of gas or so. Tried red locktite tried a lock washer on a longer bolt. Nothing...

If they are backing out on their own from vibration then the threads are worn out.

I have a feeling that the sticky felt is going to have problem with getting clogged
And then not being cleanable.
if you find the saw keeps needing to have the carb tweaked a smidge leaner
Then it could be the filter is building up stuff on top of the glue layer.
Also watch closely for dirt being pulled in around the edges
as it would possibly point to restriction in the felt.

But do post how it works out as we're always needing ways to refilter
the oldies!

Here's the muffler cover and air filter.
View attachment 290564View attachment 290565View attachment 290566View attachment 290567View attachment 290568

Are you sure you have #12 bolts in them? That IS the proper size for them.

Seen more then one with #10's in them that someone put in them.

The245 never came with the cast muffler and if the original bolts were used from the tin muffler they will be too short.

Nice 306`s you have there Greg, I have the two my dad and I used for 5 or so years for logging and firewood duties. They originally came with the two screw tin mufflers that wore/rusted out after many years of faithful service and the saws were too loud to run with bad mufflers so they got shelved. Found new cast mufflers for them after finding the internet and now they run much quieter.

Jerry, are you sure your 306's had tin mufflers with 2 screws in the cover? Those were never used on 306's far as I can tell.( at least in the states) They only came with the cast mufflers and the later elect ign saws got the later tin mufflers with only one cover screw.

The early 200 series 3.6 saws did come with the 2 screw mufflers. The one Greg pictured with the 2 screw muffler is not a 306 but is a 203.

The245 never came with the cast muffler and if the original bolts were used from the tin muffler they will be too short.

As for the 306, I'm sure that the bolt is origiinal as I have owned it from new - the 245 looks exactly the same.

Luckily the two inner bolts hold fine. Its just the one that hold the outer half on.

Would the bolt wear faster than the muffler casting - meaning that a new #12 bolt would fix the problem?

Otherwise, I'm thinking of re-tapping to the next closest size.

Anybody done that?

What would be the next larger size? Metric?

Perk

As for the 306, I'm sure that the bolt is origiinal as I have owned it from new - the 245 looks exactly the same.

Luckily the two inner bolts hold fine. Its just the one that hold the outer half on.

Would the bolt wear faster than the muffler casting - meaning that a new #12 bolt would fix the problem?

Otherwise, I'm thinking of re-tapping to the next closest size.

Anybody done that?

What would be the next larger size? Metric?

Perk

I thought you were meaning the bolts holding the muffler to the cyl.

As for the screw holding the cast cover on, its common to see the threads in the base stripped, and its a easy fix to tap them to 1/4". A allan head bolt works well and you will probably never have trouble with it again that way.

Jerry, are you sure your 306's had tin mufflers with 2 screws in the cover? Those were never used on 306's far as I can tell.( at least in the states) They only came with the cast mufflers and the later elect ign saws got the later tin mufflers with only one cover screw.

The early 200 series 3.6 saws did come with the 2 screw mufflers. The one Greg pictured with the 2 screw muffler is not a 306 but is a 203.

What I meant was the muffler was secured to the cylinder by two screws and the cover was held on with one screw, looking closely at Gregs picts I now see the one saw with two screws holding the cover on. Back when I needed mufflers for both our 306`s a fellow sent me a muffler just like the one with two screws holding the cover on and I never used it as I had a line on two new cast mufflers and just installed them when they arrived. I may have cut up two trees with mine since getting mufflers for them, I start them often but don`t actually do any cutting with them nowadays.

What I meant was the muffler was secured to the cylinder by two screws and the cover was held on with one screw, looking closely at Gregs picts I now see the one saw with two screws holding the cover on. Back when I needed mufflers for both our 306`s a fellow sent me a muffler just like the one with two screws holding the cover on and I never used it as I had a line on two new cast mufflers and just installed them when they arrived. I may have cut up two trees with mine since getting mufflers for them, I start them often but don`t actually do any cutting with them nowadays.

Thanks Jerry, I was just checking for my own info. The later Canadian Poulan's did vary some in small ways sometimes.

Even though the 306 predated the Markham Ont plant by a bit, they still sometime varied the export saws.

Thanks Jerry, I was just checking for my own info. The later Canadian Poulan's did vary some in small ways sometimes.

Even though the 306 predated the Markham Ont plant by a bit, they still sometime varied the export saws.

The fellow that sent me the muffler with the two screws that held the muffler cover on did claim it came off his 306A but I have no way to verify it came off a saw that came that way from the factory. We could only get parts for the 306A for a couple of years after we bought them, the dealer told us there was a trade embargo at that time and just wanted us to buy another new saw. We told him to shove it and went to Sachs Dolmar saws.

Back