Poulan 306A

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gritz

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So my brother-in-law was given this Poulan. Story goes, the guy who gave it to him bought it to remove some downed trees after a storm some 20 years ago. Apparently, and I believe it, he used it on this one occasion and put it on the shelf until now. It needs a little more gentle cleaning, but its in really good shape. I put a quick squirt of mix down the carb and it popped and started for a sec. I replaced the fuel lines and filter tonight along with new diaphragms and needle. It was too late to try and start it this evening, but I'm gonna throw some mix in her in the morning and see what happens.

BTW, what mix should I use? The cover calls for 1/2 pint per gallon (my math tells me that's 16:1). I figured I'd just mix some 25:1 and give her a try.

Here's the pics:

Anyone have an IPL or manual for this thing (owners or service, preferably both)?

Had one of those for quite a while. Only saw I owned when I lived it Maine. That saw kept a family of six warm in Northern Maine for probably ten or so years. Had lots of guts for a 50 cc saw from what I remember. Gave it away to a fellow who was really in need when I moved back to PA. Keep posting, I will see if the man I gave it to still has the owners manual that I gave to him. I know he still has the saw.

I just came across one of these in a fellas basement. It doesn't feel as though it has much compression.

He wasn't clear if he wanted to let go of it so I told him I would stop back. I checked on the bay for rings but only came across a whole sylinder/piston set.

Haven't done a lot of reading on these but are they something worth pursuing?

The 306 is on the same chassis as the 245 which at 74 cc's is a far more desirable saw. I have several but have never done any cutting with them but have actually used some of my 245's to cut wood.

We ran this pair for the better part of 5-6 years cutting 40+ cord of firewood each year, they also cut several thousand BD feet of logs and at least a hundred cord of pulpwood each year.Only part ever replaced on them both were the stamped steel mufflers after they rusted out. The bars and chains were also replaced as they wore out.

2010+Trip+to+Alaska+1339.jpg

The one I saw today had what looked like a complete round roller nose on it. It was a really cool looking bar.

I will definately go back and try to buy it from the gentleman. I hope he doesn't want an arm for it.

The one I saw today had what looked like a complete round roller nose on it. It was a really cool looking bar.

I will definately go back and try to buy it from the gentleman. I hope he doesn't want an arm for it.
How much did you pay for it?

I never noticed the vibration of these saws years ago when they didn't have that anti-vibe stuff. People only started complaining about it after they tried a Stihl or newer saws with it...same way with the chain brake..
  1. When it's the only thing available, you make due with what you have.
  2. When something better comes along, you want that. If you can use that better thing, why would you continue to use the inferior thing?
  3. For those of us who either like the old stuff or can't afford the new and better thing, see #1.

If I used a chainsaw all day long I probably would want the best anti-vibe fastest cutting saw I could find but I'm just a hobbyist due to my age and I find some of these saws kinda nice to have around. I also have an XL924, a Super XLAO, A couple of Poulan 25s, etc. I have some newer saws also but still like the oldies...

Back