Poulan 3400 counter vibe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah it goes against the grain of thinking but like I said, just a nature of the beast. That saw was in production from 1979 to 1989 when the Poulan Pros showed up and several years after that as a Poulan Pro model and was basically unchanged except for the air filter upgrades so I think that track record alone would have to be looked at as outstanding.,

You work on lots of old saws and you know of alot of weird stuff on them when compared to todays equipment.

I strongly agree.Well i am not really sure about what you are calling radial/lateral play but i've noticed on many engines when you grab the flywheel and push it back-frond,it has a little play.This is absolutely normal.I also think that a little amount of up-down play is acceptable as well.My KTM 640 produce more than 30% power compare to other similar in displacement bikes,when you here it idling you think its going to blow up,all the bearings in the engine working with all the kinds of play(lateral,radial) but it can handle over 100.000 klm with no problem (in mine i have 60.000) wich are too much for a 100% racing single cilynder bike.I think that saws wich are working 30+ years with no problem,they must be good.

Eccentric,i can assure you that the carb on my 306A is the one that came with the saw from the factory.I was talking the other day with the main Husqvarna/Partner/Jonsered dealer in Greece and he told me that the only Poulan saw that came in Greece was/is the 2250.I was asking him for some parts for the 2775 and he asked me:"What brand is this saw"?I said Poulan but he knew nothing about it.I don't think that someone could be able to find parts for these models(306A,4200,3400) in Greece.

Last edited:
4000030.jpg
Then shape so the exhaust would go forward right.

Sent from my Slim Photon using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Just like this one (pic borrowed from OhioGregg)

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f201/Gregg500/4000030.jpg

Yeah I picked up it was on the clutch side so just leave the back holes open and drill the diffuser holes to 3/8 8 i think is what I read that modified mark does

So my saw usually starts right away but if it doesn't the only way to get it started is to turn the L screw all the way in let it run a few seconds and turn back out to 1 turn does it sound like a carb rebuild or is it just flooding on me

There are sure enough a lot of posts about a saw that has been out of production long enough that you can't get parts for it anymore. The last time I worked on mine, I had to get a set of rings from GREECE, for crying out loud!!! Mayhap Poulan should reintroduce this saw again! There ain't nothing like a piece of equipment that just damn well won't die! My thanks to ModifiedMark for his contributions to all us old Poulan hands!:lifter::lifter::lifter::lifter::lifter::lifter::clap:

If your saw is warm no choking is needed, in fact shouldn't be used. If its cold or hasn't been run for a few days you may have to choke it until it coughs, then proceed w/o the choke. You shouldn't have to set the idle high to start the saw. Push in the throttle lock on the top of the rear handle. Lack of filter shouldn't affect your starting procedure.

I meant to say that the saw won't start with the throttle lock engaged but I'm gonna wait until I get the air filter on to see if that changes anything

So I did my muffler mod tonight drilled all the baffle holes to 3/8 and slit the side not as nice as Gregg's but ill see how it runs I might be selling a clean 026 after this and go all poulan with the 4400 I'm getting tomorrow View attachment 271528View attachment 271529

Make sure you get rid of all those burrs on the baffle from drilling out the holes. If they break off they could end up in your cylinder and do major damage.

So I did my muffler mod tonight drilled all the baffle holes to 3/8 and slit the side not as nice as Gregg's but ill see how it runs I might be selling a clean 026 after this and go all poulan with the 4400 I'm getting tomorrow View attachment 271528View attachment 271529

That'll work fine. Be sure you retune the H side, as it'll be leaned out now that it can breath better.

I went rich a half turn on it my neighbors think I'm crazy but I got the poulan bug great quality priced right can't go wrong

Mayhap Poulan should reintroduce this saw again!

Well dont hold your breath on that happening.

The one they should reintroduce is the series that came after it. The 3300 style saw with a chrome bore, closed port and super clean.

Then they need to rework that profile enough to make it into a 70-75cc version as well!

Why stop there?

Well dont hold your breath on that happening.

The one they should reintroduce is the series that came after it. The 3300 style saw with a chrome bore, closed port and super clean.

Then they need to rework that profile enough to make it into a 70-75cc version as well!

Beef up the tank/rear handle casting, do away with the stupid 'gotta take half the saw apart to fix it' tank vent setup, and slightly enlarge the crankcase and jug castings so that they can be punched all the way to the five cube range.

If a certain yellow/black saw brand of old can take a 54cc platform and enlarge it to 70cc, and then enlarge it further to 82cc with success (see my avatar pic), then I'm sure a 'modern' yellow/back (formerly green/black) brand can do the same here. If that was to happen, I'd no longer be able to resist buying a new saw.:D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back