Poulan 3400 counter vibe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds to me like it wants to go...if you used a little throttle. I use the throttle lock on my saws all the time to start them. As soon as they start, just hit the trigger so its not racing, and let it warm up a little. Does the same thing as the fast idle on older cars & trucks etc. with an automatic choke.;)

:cheers:
Gregg,

Sounded like he didn't have the throttle lock engaged,which was why I asked. On a cold start I always use it.

If I go any richer on the L screw the saw floods and won't start. The saw was a hot start and the chain was sharp on the first tree sorry this was the third only one I could get the phone to record and not fall over

Last edited:
If I go any richer on the L screw the saw floods and won't start. The saw was a hot start and the chain was sharp on the first tree sorry this was the third only one I could get the phone to record and not fall over

Remember that tiny increments in the screws like 1/16 of a turn can make a big difference. When you get close go really slow.

I have run a 3400 for damn near thirty years and its still going. Your chain is some kind of dull of it takes that long to cut through that little limb. Have it sharpened by someone that knows what is what and try it again. Those old saws will cut good enough and they have grunt in the cut , if they are tuned right. Sounds like it is tuned pretty good, but that cut took waay too long. Keep working on it,and if it just don't wind yer watch,I'll cheerfully take it off your hands.

So I turn the L screw 1/16 richer the saw started cold but would not restart hot turned it back 1/16 lean and the saw fired right up. Is there any damage that could be caused by the L screw being a little lean

I have run a 3400 for damn near thirty years and its still going. Your chain is some kind of dull of it takes that long to cut through that little limb. Have it sharpened by someone that knows what is what and try it again. Those old saws will cut good enough and they have grunt in the cut , if they are tuned right. Sounds like it is tuned pretty good, but that cut took waay too long. Keep working on it,and if it just don't wind yer watch,I'll cheerfully take it off your hands.

I have no problem sharpening full chisel chains for some reason this semi chisel just dose not cut that fast

Sent from my MB855 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

So I turn the L screw 1/16 richer the saw started cold but would not restart hot turned it back 1/16 lean and the saw fired right up. Is there any damage that could be caused by the L screw being a little lean

Lean on any of the two screws will cause issues. The starting point for both needles is 1 turn open. Here's how I adjust the Lo needle. After saw is warm and idling, I turn Lo screw counterclockwise until saw starts to die. I then turn it clockwise until the same thing happens. Midpoint between those two extremes is where I set the Lo. I then adjust the idle screw so the chain doesn't turn. On the HI needle, with throttle wide open, I adjust clockwise until the saw isn't burbling, then turn counterclockwise until it starts to burble. You want the saw to burble out of the cut and clean up in the cut. May need to make a few cuts to fine tune this procedure.

Yeah it was semi chisel rounded corner I just picked up a loop of lgx so to the woodsI go to make a even comparison with my 026 with full chisel I have a feeling the poulan will cut faster

The old 3400 may be old but it ain't ready for the scrap heap yet. Wish they still made a good simple saw that would last like these.

Latest posts

Back