Poulan 3400 oiler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Probst

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just bought a Poulan 3400 as a spare saw , I the previous owner said that the oiler was not working because the bar gets hot. How hard is it to fix/ adjust the oiler and how do i start or should I take it to the shop?

The automatic oiler is pulse operated. There is a diaphragm inside the oiler that you cannot get a replacement for.. I took mine apart cleaned it out real good. There is a sponge filter right in the oiler housing you can replace, I make mine out of a similar material. When you pull off the assembly check the pickup tube for cracks, look hard because there is a spring around it. You can use fuel line as a replacement. Does the manual oiler work? I try and flush out the oil tank before I put it back together. good luck.

As mentioned, test to see if the manual oiler works. If not I'd bet the oil pickup line is cracked or split in two. Very common occurrence. The diaphragms are NLA so if it's stiff or torn , you either have to locate some similar material and make a new one or somehow try to soften it. Of course in a bind you can always use the manual oiler. Three screws hold the oil pump to the saw, while one screw holds the oil pump cover on to the pump. For better access to the pump you you can remove it by unscrewing the output line from the oil pump.

I was able to source and order the auto diaphragm and also the manual oiler "quad o ring" a couple years ago, from my dealer right from poulan. The entire oiler assembly though is either luck out new old stock someplace or good used.

Those two will get both oilers working if the internals are not broken.

Just accumulate other saws in that series for parts and spares. Save them from the scrappers.

LOL... I have two and haven't touched either yet. Not sure i ever will. I heard they were good saws and kinda wanted to run one but just haven't had the time.

Latest posts

Back