Poulan 3700 compression numbers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AK Steve

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a 3700 AV in Craftsman grey rhat runs when it runs, but hard starts at times. Good spark, just cleaned carb and put in new diaphrams. I can't seem to tune the hard start out. Actually got it going the other day and tuned it like a beast. 1 pull start and idled great. Then 30 minutes later it wouldn't start. I"m guessing it would start better with more compression. Anyone know what the spec for compression on this saw is.

The grey ones I have had were the thick ring Poulan 3800 and like above 150 at best on compression. The poulan 3700, 4000 in good shape 160 or above on the compression. Some red craftsman's have the thin rings (poulan 3700) and will do 160+ compression if in good shape.

The 3400 run around 125 to 135 psi.
The 3700 will run around 150 to 160 psi, 3800 around 135 to 140.
The 4000 is the same as the 3700 they both have two thin rings and the only real difference is in
the bore size as far as compression goes.

Steve

Run a compression test on it,maybe it's too low,needs repair. I worked in a shop that sold Poulans(and Stihls) in the late 80's,we sold 3400,3700,400 models,great saws for the price,reliable too. However,their compression was lower than other saws,I tested a fairly new 3400 one day and was surprised to see only 110 psi. I tore down the top end and everything was fine so I yanked the base gasket and of course that improved it. The older ones just did not have a lot of compression but were fine.

Latest posts

Back