Poulan 4000 Scored Piston And Piston Removal Tool.......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all. I've picked up a nice Poulan 4000 that has a scored piston. The jug appears good and only has one very slight ridge that I can catch with my nail. I will use sandpaper and muriatic acid to try and bring the ridge down as much as possible. I also may have located a damaged 4000 that has a good top end. If not, I will need a piston. This is my first venture into a Poulan Countervibe top end, so do any of you have recommendations for a replacement or source for a NOS piston? Yes, tall order I know. Lastly, what about a/the tool to remove the piston from the rod? This looks like a bear and I wanted to ask before I try anything. I saw where some members have made them in the past, but I don't believe I have that skill. Thanks for your input and recommendations, and enjoy your Memorial Day Holiday! Best, Max.

I made a wrist pin puller for the open-style pins. If the cir-clips are the type without the inward-pointing hooks, I remove only the one on the end that the pin is coming out of. The puller is a long 10-32 bolt that passes through a piece of tubing whose ID is just larger than the OD of the pin. On the other end that protrudes through the piston pin, there is a nut that has been turned down so its OD is small enough to pass through the cir-clip and bear against the piston pin. This set-up lets me remove or install the piston pins without any pounding or stressing. I have different diameter sleeves for large or small pins. A washer is placed at the outer end of the sleeve for the tightening nut to bear against.

I made a wrist pin puller for the open-style pins. If the cir-clips are the type without the inward-pointing hooks, I remove only the one on the end that the pin is coming out of. The puller is a long 10-32 bolt that passes through a piece of tubing whose ID is just larger than the OD of the pin. On the other end that protrudes through the piston pin, there is a nut that has been turned down so its OD is small enough to pass through the cir-clip and bear against the piston pin. This set-up lets me remove or install the piston pins without any pounding or stressing. I have different diameter sleeves for large or small pins. A washer is placed at the outer end of the sleeve for the tightening nut to bear against.

Galde, thanks for the idea, I appreciate it. I plan on trying to remove the pin this weekend. Best, and enjoy your weekend. Max.

galdes sounds like the one i made for my 4000. the all thread and coupling nuts came from a box store.
the sleeves on the left(smaller than wrist pin) were the spacers from inside the muffler. pretty simple.
check out post #5

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/188577.htm

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/188577.htm

That's a neat tool in the link you sent me. Simple and useful, I like it. I believe I understand it and probably would have no issue with the concept if the tool was in my hand. I will try to assemble one, or something like it, later this weekend. Thanks for your comments and the link, I think I just may get this done now! Best, and enjoy your weekend. Max.

Here are a couple pics of the real Poulan tool, if it helps ya at all to come up with a method.

PoulanPistonTool005.jpg

PoulanPistonTool001.jpg

:cheers:
Gregg,

I went ahead and bought it just for the heck of it. I hope I get a piston, or at the least a cylinder gaslet! I'll follow up when I receive something. Thanks for looking up parts, I appreciate your time. Best, Max.

We'll be waiting for your update. I just got a 4000 with a good top end............but if I can get a spare piston for that price I'll put ten on the shelf 'just in case'.:D

Edit:

Found the piston kit for cheap, Im sure its a typo...in stock too.

Kit- Piston [10643] - $2.97 at eReplacementParts.com

How did you come up with that link? When I go to the ERP site and seach for a piston in the 4000 IPL I come up with this:

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/kit-piston-p-544549.html

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back