Poulan 5200 Filter Fix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z50guru

errr..
Reaction score
So anyone that owns one of these saws knows the air filters are nearly impossible to get hold of anymore.
I recently got this 5200 with the flocking having been ingested over time.

I tried sandwiching some foam between the two halves of the cage, but found this method too restrictive. So i took a spin over to a surplus fabric outlet and came home with this "Interface". This material is non restrictive and similar to material used for vacuum bags.

With the above items, its possible to make a really nice clean fix. I simply sprayed the cage assy with adhesive and applied to the interface. I used a hobby knife to then remove the extra material and used my fingers to apply pressure between the plastic ribbing forming the interface to the screen as well.

I used a Q tip and some rubber cement just around the edges of the filter. Just a bit extra to prevent the material from lifting.

Im pleased with the results and really looking forward to finally putting this old hammer to some wood. ;)

Ill "revise" to "attempted" 5200 filter fix :D. I have to see if the adhesive will hold up to fuel exposure. I'll update:

Not sure that's gonna work - you'd better just send that saw to me. :p Just kidding. ;)

Awesome work! Please let us know how that works.

I've done this, but used material from a B&S air filter with hot glue through the mesh.

I like this and will try it on another candidate I have here.

Thanks for posting!

Just be careful with the amount of adhesive not to let it spread out or wick into the new filter medium
and cause excessive restriction to the air flow.
also watch out for bridging the openings of the original filter grid.
...overly rich and reduced rpms
I suspect it tends to promote more edge leakage too.

and ditto on updating us on the results.
hopefully successful ones!!

i've done it with material from a fabric store. can't remember what it was called (still got some in the shop) but its not organic and you can just see light through it. i was very careful to only apply glue to the ribs rather than the fabric since i didn't want to clog the material with glue; kinda makes it hard to suck air through blocked pores, eh?

Good work.I repaired the air filter from my 4200 with a similar way.I used the paper from the air filter of my car(new it cost only 10$).It has great air flow,it don't let anything to pass through it and saw dust don't stuck on it.I used some Dirko for the begining and then filled the outer edges with some gas resistant epoxy.I tryied the hot glue but it didn't hold up.It was getting soft after some work(when the saw was hot)or if i had the saw under the sun.The epoxy hold up perfect.

Thanks for the compliments and the positive feedback! I did get the Big Green in some Ash today for a cookie cut'n frenzy. I heat cycled the saw 3 times to see if the heat would weaken the adhesive any and it didnt. Everything about the fix stayed in tact. I would call this method safe at this point for occasional use such as GTG's and playing in the wood pile. I'll never know if things will hold up over time and regular use, but so far, so great! Heres some pix. I tried for dirty dusty conditions, but humidity was high, and i throw nut'n but big clean chips ;)

Also after noticing the rubber cement wasnt working well, i opted to seal the outside edge of the material with silicone glue. MUCH better results!

The "Interface" material far exceeded the amount of air flow as opposed to the foam setup i had tried first.

Nut'n but clean air!

Only thing I would do different if me, I would use Seal-All for adhesive.

Gas & Oil-Resistant Adhesive
The contact adhesive and sealant that's the Mechanic's Choice. Seal-all adheres with superior strength to all substrates and materials except paper, cardboard and Styrofoam™. In a class of its own, the "repair-kit-in-a- tube” is ideal for automotive and garage repairs. Available in 2.0 and 1.0 fl oz carded packaging.

Practical: Seal-All is resistant to gasoline, oil, paint thinner, and most solvents.
Seal-All is also water resistant immediately upon application.
Thin Formula: Seal-All is a thin adhesive.
Quick Dry: Perfect for all your craft needs. Sets in 2-3 minutes.
Fully cures in 2-6 hours.
Waterproof: Use to decorate craft projects in and around water.
Paintable: Paint over for UV-resistance.
Seal-All Uses

• Distributor caps, interior panels, radiators, gaskets, transmission carburetor
floats, body and trunk leaks, battery cables and terminals, generators, tools,
and much more.
• Repair and maintain oil pans, gasoline tanks, oil lines, golf club grips, fletching
arrows, fishing rod tips and guides, tents, canoes, boats, outboard motors,
fishing lures, woodworking, model kits, glass, china, crockery, leather, metal,
porcelain, fiberglass, plastics, ornaments, figurines, linoleum, oilcloth, furniture,
knobs and drawers, screens, tile, plumbing, gutters, and much.

Looks good. I'm curious about how well that adhesive holds up to fuel exposure.

Theres nothing special about any of the adhesives i chose to use, so im guessing fuel would have negative effects. My saws pretty dry back there as far as leaks an such. I suppose other than some back spray from the carb over time might weaken the grip some. But like i said, i think this will serve just fine for "occasional" use. The material flows and filters very well from what ive learned so far.

Only thing I would do different if me, I would use Seal-All for adhesive.

Gas & Oil-Resistant Adhesive
The contact adhesive and sealant that's the Mechanic's Choice. Seal-all adheres with superior strength to all substrates and materials except paper, cardboard and Styrofoam™. In a class of its own, the "repair-kit-in-a- tube” is ideal for automotive and garage repairs. Available in 2.0 and 1.0 fl oz carded packaging.

Practical: Seal-All is resistant to gasoline, oil, paint thinner, and most solvents.
Seal-All is also water resistant immediately upon application.
Thin Formula: Seal-All is a thin adhesive.
Quick Dry: Perfect for all your craft needs. Sets in 2-3 minutes.
Fully cures in 2-6 hours.
Waterproof: Use to decorate craft projects in and around water.
Paintable: Paint over for UV-resistance.
Seal-All Uses

• Distributor caps, interior panels, radiators, gaskets, transmission carburetor
floats, body and trunk leaks, battery cables and terminals, generators, tools,
and much more.
• Repair and maintain oil pans, gasoline tanks, oil lines, golf club grips, fletching
arrows, fishing rod tips and guides, tents, canoes, boats, outboard motors,
fishing lures, woodworking, model kits, glass, china, crockery, leather, metal,
porcelain, fiberglass, plastics, ornaments, figurines, linoleum, oilcloth, furniture,
knobs and drawers, screens, tile, plumbing, gutters, and much.

Very good! I will definitely look for some of this seal all :rolleyes:./

Also, ive got a full yard of this material. Enough to do a hundred units! It cost me a whole dollar! I'd be happy to send some your way via snail mail if you'd like to give it a try. I think the materials spot on for flow and filtration, but im sure theres plenty of improvements to be made in the adhesives dept. This could easily result in a "bomb Proof" filter fix to serve all interested. :clap:

Just shoot me a PM with your addy, an i'll get some off to ya!
:chainsaw:

Do you have some more specifics on the material? Name, type, UPC, etc. I want to look around for it.

You guys may also look in the heating and air section of lowes.there are some pretty good fabric In those air filters.

Do you have some more specifics on the material? Name, type, UPC, etc. I want to look around for it.

Motti, all i can tell ya is the material / fabric is referred to as "interface". There are different kinds of this stuff. Some thin, some thicker. I physically blew through each roll of the stuff to find the perfect flow / filtering combination. This behavior had the store reps more than curious as to why i was putting my mouth on all the fabric rolls. o_O Ive seen similar material behind the door panels of various cars while doing speaker installs. If ya dont have any luck, i have more than enough. I'll gladly send you some :D

Heres a bit of 5200 action with the repaired filter installed. Carving up sum White Ash. :chainsaw:

ps. My top cover rattles ;) I know, it nearly sounds as if she's come n apart!

Latest posts

Back