Poulan chain pitch? 2nd try

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dynodave

equal opportunity gearhead
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
On my two poulan based saws, S25DA & Craftsman 2.1PS one has a (now obsolete) Oregon 19779 rim type sprocket. The normally supplied rim is 1/4"... 9pin... mini 9 spline.Never seen this before.

On the 2.1 the previous owner had put a 3/8"??? 7pin-mini 9 spline rim. He also put a 3/8lp chain.
The 3/8lp chain is super sloppy in the rim. Rim is not worn...almost new.
Is the rim really meant for a regular 3/8 chain??? it fits soooo much nicer.
Was there ever really a 3/8lp rim made???
thanks

The 19779 was also called for on a husky 121...what ever that is?

It sounds like a real mish-mash.

Yes, there were/ are rim sprockets in 3/8lp.

I believe the number for the Poulan would have been an Oregon 41569. Replacement rims should be available, maybe OEM, or Aftermarket.

This is what is being presented on the internet:
Oregon 41569X Consumer Spur Sprocket .3/8" Pitch 6-Tooth. I'd guess it's 3/8lp not regular 3/8.... The Oregon listing for a poulan 255 shows this 41569X spur clutch and .043 and .050 3/8lp 90 or 91 series chains.

The thing I find interesting is that the 3/8?-7- 9 spline mini rim (I have), laid side by side exactly matches my full/regular 3/8"-7 rims, of course, except for the drive splines.

info on mini splines rims? Even if just historical and obsolete.

I have some NOS rim drive setups for those. I never bothered to pay them much mind. A 7 tooth 3/8 setup is too much gearing for a 2.1 anyway. Same with the 1/4 x 9 as far as I'm concerned.

My 26cc homelite XL2 has a 9pin 1/4" and my 32cc stihl 015L has 9 pin 1/4" seems pretty peppy to me and yet on a 34cc 2.1PS or 38cc S25DA same 1/4" 9 pin sprocket is to tall?
I never intended to use the full 3/8-7pin-9spline RIM on any of these. Maybe the full 3/8 mini rim drum was used on a husky121 what ever that is...
To be clear......my question is.
Was there ever really a 3/8lp mini 9 spline rim made??? It probably would be a 6 pin.

My 26cc homelite XL2 has a 9pin 1/4" and my 32cc stihl 015L has 9 pin 1/4" seems pretty peppy to me and yet on a 34cc 2.1PS or 38cc S25DA same 1/4" 9 pin sprocket is to tall?
I never intended to use the full 3/8-7pin-9spline RIM on any of these. Maybe the full 3/8 mini rim drum was used on a husky121 what ever that is...
To be clear......my question is.
Was there ever really a 3/8lp mini 9 spline rim made??? It probably would be a 6 pin.

Read that part again where I said I never paid them much mind.

That said, yes I do believe there was a 3/8 7 tooth 9 spline rim made at one time. I also think I may have one. I'll look next week when I get back home to see if I'm messed up or not.

Not a problem MM.
I have been paying attention now that I am trying to figure out what was "done" to this saw and I am trying to plan their mechanical recovery.
Being I only have a bit over 2 years very occasional involvement with OPE I don't have a lot of experience. This new mini spline thing was a whole new area for me. I know there is a 3/8-7-9 rim because it's here on my desk.
Based on the fitting of the chains I believe it to be full 3/8 and not 3/8lp.
I have 2 ea 1/4-9-9 rims coming from ebay. Be here in a few days.
I am confident all 4 of the saws I mentioned could be upgraded to 3/8lp. three have been done previously with factory/industry chains, spur sprockets and bars. I would be shocked if the 015L has not the capability to go 3/8lp also.

SOOOOOO
inquiring mind wants to know. :chainsaw:

Latest posts

Back