What's your favorite chain size for 50 cc saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We picked up a good 'ol Moto 4 225 a couple weeks back for the kid/running the dogs(one retired race sled dog, her nephew, and a 170lb mostly husky mutt make what they think are a team...,) looking for a 4 seat sxs, currently availability has me deciding between a Yamaha Wolverine x4 and a Maverick Sport Max which don't even fall into the same category... LOL Keeping my eye out for a deal on an old Cat like I had too, have a soft spot for those things.

We picked up a good 'ol Moto 4 225 a couple weeks back for the kid/running the dogs(one retired race sled dog, her nephew, and a 170lb mostly husky mutt make what they think are a team...,) looking for a 4 seat sxs, currently availability has me deciding between a Yamaha Wolverine x4 and a Maverick Sport Max which don't even fall into the same category... LOL Keeping my eye out for a deal on an old Cat like I had too, have a soft spot for those things.
So are you running picco, 325, or 3/8 on it :p.

Stihl is moving away from the 3/8 Picco and towards the 23RS pro. I would like to do a back to back comparison on my 026 or 261, but I don't have anything Picco at the moment.

Doorfx: I thought that name looked familiar, been a while since I was over on the Cat forum.
This would be a bummer because the 3/8 picco is great chain on small saws, makes them cut like a bigger saw.
I cant see them moving away from the picco on the smaller saws myself.

So when I posted originally about the chain chatter, I was cutting a lot of dry ash. Today we took down some living elms and the chain was a lot more smooth...go figure eh?

Since my dealer doesn't seem to have a good selection of .325, what sites do you guys like to order your chain from?

Thanks again.
So like I was saying, a bit less hook would have slowed the chatter.
254 with a little extra hook in seasoned cherry, fast cutting in green wood, but likes to chatter in hard seasoned wood.

I run standard 3/8 square filed on my ported 2253. Nothing cuts better on that saw and it is not grabby in the small stuff at all.
Most 50's need higher rakers to enjoy running a standard 3/8'sx20", but one that's properly set up and square sure can be fun, until you hit something, not that it's fun on a round chain either, just not as easy to straighten out in the field.
Smoooooooth.

Stihl 23 RS Pro for clean wood, Husqvarna SP33G for dirt wood.
For 60cc and up, Husqvarna C85 chain.

If rumors are correct Husqvarna is working with a new 325 58 ga full chiesel chain. Would not surprise me if they’re also working with a NK full chiesel chain.

Stihl 23 RS Pro for clean wood, Husqvarna SP33G for dirt wood.
For 60cc and up, Husqvarna C85 chain.

If rumors are correct Husqvarna is working with a new 325 58 ga full chiesel chain. Would not surprise me if they’re also working with a NK full chiesel chain.
Pro, or just the standard RS.
The new husky chain is nice, so is the new EXL Oregon chain. The bummer is the factory angles are very difficult to duplicate. I'd like to see some comparisons to the 3/8 RS

@chipper1, hey Brett, it kinda fits here about 2 weeks ago I picked up this 346XP (OE) for $350

B165B39F-7C5B-4DFC-B413-FBF7109611F9.jpeg9BB9B903-346C-4404-8DD8-E035A7687868.jpegAA16F230-DB9C-446F-AB85-B7A73686211F.jpeg8E5056E2-D9EF-46DE-B2E3-7A29C134F288.jpeg
I know that you would appreciate a Nice 346XP, I hear that you’ve had one or two of them :innocent:

About a week before that , I Picked up a OEM 372XPW, PHO, that I have a 28” Bar for.

Between the two of them, I would have a Pretty Good “2 Saw Plan”, IF All I had was TWO SAWS:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Doug :cheers:

23rs beside the RSP. Very noticeable difference in performance on my ported 026, saws like my 242 are happier with it as well.

I really should try and get my hands on the MS261 tuning kit that is the Picco setup just for comparison sake.
f861886d1612b0160c3eccff472d5a3a.jpg
9e4424fcf85e413acd3c3bed528920b3.jpg

@chipper1, hey Brett, it kinda fits here about 2 weeks ago I picked up this 346XP (OE) for $350

View attachment 840053View attachment 840054View attachment 840055View attachment 840056
I know that you would appreciate a Nice 346XP, I hear that you’ve had one or two of them :innocent:

About a week before that , I Picked up a OEM 372XPW, PHO, that I have a 28” Bar for.

Between the two of them, I would have a Pretty Good “2 Saw Plan”, IF All I had was TWO SAWS:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Doug :cheers:
What's up Doug.
Very nice saw, yes. Ive been known to have one or two of them from time to time :).
Now I know why so many people have problems running that vanguard chain :innocent:. Did you get a deal on it cause it wouldn't cut anymore, or did you do that lol.

Stihl is moving away from the 3/8 Picco and towards the 23RS pro. I would like to do a back to back comparison on my 026 or 261, but I don't have anything Picco at the moment.

Doorfx: I thought that name looked familiar, been a while since I was over on the Cat forum.
I don’t see them putting .325 on a 40cc saw.

My point is I don’t see stihl getting rid of the picco chain. Especially for their top handles
I agree.
Just ran a brand new 194t and it had a 14"x.043x3/8 picco.

Makita does on the 4300.
I don't really put a 4300 in the 40cc class, if so its very fat and heavy and because of that I categorize it with the 50's, that being said they are good saws for the price/power.

Back