Poulan cluth or sprocket slipping?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triathlete123

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I can't figure out if the clutch is slipping or the chain is slipping on the sprocket. Once the bar is in the cut the chain continues to rotate on the bar but doesn't cut. If I cut from the underside (using the top of the bar), the chain cuts as normal with no problems. But the moment I try to cut from the top (the underside of the bar), it seems as if the rakers are set way too high. I took the clutch off and the contact surfaces looked fine. I cleaned it up and reinstalled it but to no avail. I'm thinking the chain is spinning on the sprocket. Has any one experienced this problem?

put up a pic of your teeth.

Bad-Teeth-Heart-Attack-2.jpg

Turn the bar over and try cutting. Sounds like the bar rails are worn or spread
You're right. I measured the bar gap and it was a little over .06" wide on one side. Too much for a .05" gauge chain and was enough for the chain to twist out of the grove and not cut. It was an easy fix in the vise. Thank you.

Btw, I picked up this saw used. It's a yellow poulan pro 32cc, 14" bar, maybe 8-10 years old. It has seen a lot of abuse and no maintenance, but it still runs fairly strong for a little motor. It surprises me. And sips fuel too.

I normally sit the bar on a stump or something solid and close the bar rails with a hammer. If you close them up too much you can hit a flat blade screwdriver in the groove to open it up. People will tell you that you cant fix a bar like this, but i have been doing this for 20 years or more. When i drove a tree harvester the bar rails would always wear on one side from felling trees so i just tapped that side back in so i could keep working.

Back