Poulan Forrester 3300 help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctiedt

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What should the H and L needle settings be for a Poulan Forrester 3300. I got this saw several years ago and it ran great, until last weekend. I took the carb apart and cleaned it and it still won't run right. It starts with the choke on, idles some but when the choke is shut off and it is given gas it dies. I figured I would start with the basics and go from there, but I am not too sure of what the basics are. I know, I know...I should of counted the number of turns before I took the needles out....I remembered when both the H and L needles were in my hands.... Also thinking of replacing the internals of the carbs because I never have and the saw itself seems to be pretty old. Any ideas of its age?
Thanks, Chris!

http://www.madsens1.com/sawtune.htm
Should have a walbro carb HDA-49. The complete kit is K22-HDA.
Link to where I just ordered my kits. http://www.mowers4u.com/walbro/walbrohome.htm
Make sure you check your impulse line and fuel line for cracks. Fuel filter plugged. Sounds like the diaphram to me. But I am just learning this things too. Will post 3300 info from mikes acres site when it is back up. GL

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your help! I will have to check out those sites and give it a try. I tried calling Poulan for a manual, and they had to have the serial number....In looking at the sticker for about 15 minutes....I think I finally got it, but the sticker is so old that it is really hard to read. According to Poulan, the first 2 numbers of the serial number are the year it was made....I belive then this saw was made in 1971...Does that seem correct to you? Thanks again for your help!
Chris

ctiedt said:
I belive then this saw was made in 1971...Does that seem correct to you? Thanks again for your help!
Chris

No :givebeer:

Madsens is a good read. Set your H and L to one turn out from lightly seated and see if just that changes things any. If it doesn't change the situation at all you might not be looking at carb issues.

ctiedt said:
I belive then this saw was made in 1971...Does that seem correct to you? Chris

I dont think thats right. I think it was introduced in 1987 - ??.
Cant find the 3300 manual on a pdf file either. Maybe Scottr will help you out with that.
HammerComputer.gif

The 8 must of worn off...as I mentioned, the sticker is in extremely rough shape. Is there any other place on the saw that Poulan would of stamped or marked the serial #? I really do appreciate all the help!
Chris

retoocs555 said:
No :givebeer:

Madsens is a good read. Set your H and L to one turn out from lightly seated and see if just that changes things any. If it doesn't change the situation at all you might not be looking at carb issues.

What other issues are you talking about? Rings? Spark? Fuel Issues?

For $4 you can throw in a diapharm kit in 5 mins and find out. For $7 you can buy the whole carb kit if needed. I bet if you replace the diaphram and gasket, go to other side of carb and replace the membrane thing and gasket. You will be fine. Your carb should be a Walbro HDA-49. I just did one on my 3750 and thats all it took. Heres where I get my carb kits, Shipping is $1.60 for upto 6 kits. First class mail. http://www.mowers4u.com/walbro/walbrohome.htm
talk006.gif
You want either D22-HDA or K22-HDA complete. Like I said before check fuel filter(plugged),cracked fuel lines or impulse line?

I ordered the parts from Jeff at Mowers4u and currently am still waiting for them. I am hoping today or tomorrow they should be here and then I will see just how things run....:chainsaw:

Thanks!!!!

Just wanted to quick thank everyone for their help! I got the parts from Jeff and put them in this weekend. Since I had it apart, I replaced all the fuel line, the fuel klunk/filter and the impulse line. Set the carb to 1.25 turns out started her up and then fine tuned it as well. It runs better thenit has ever run before!!!! WOW!!! I was amazed at how well it ran, even out of tune, but once I tweaked the adjustments.....PHEW!!! :rock: Watch out wood because chips are going to fly now!!! Thanks everyone for the help! I am certainly hooked on this site now, especially for all of the help I got! Thanks again!!

ctiedt said:
Just wanted to quick thank everyone for their help! I got the parts from Jeff and put them in this weekend. Since I had it apart, I replaced all the fuel line, the fuel klunk/filter and the impulse line. Set the carb to 1.25 turns out started her up and then fine tuned it as well. It runs better thenit has ever run before!!!! WOW!!! I was amazed at how well it ran, even out of tune, but once I tweaked the adjustments.....PHEW!!! :rock: Watch out wood because chips are going to fly now!!! Thanks everyone for the help! I am certainly hooked on this site now, especially for all of the help I got! Thanks again!!
Great. Keep the mag cased poulan fires burning. Not many of us out there that will stand up to be counted. Glad to see everything worked out.

Back