Poulan Micro XXV dating/version and carb problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Purdum

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My efforts to bring this saw back to full function have hit a snag. It starts fine and idles OK but as soon as I pull the trigger to full throttle it stalls. The carb has never been touched. I'm going to run Sea Foam carb cleaner through it and also add the Sea Foam treatment to the fuel tank which is now full with Trufuel 40:1. If I have to I'll tackle replacing the gaskets and diaphragm in the carb but I can't tell which of the kits to order. The serial number on the saw is 30546864. I can't find a date code but don't really know where to look. From the parts list #645472 dated 9/1/85 there are three types of carbs. To the best of my recollection I purchased the saw between 1976 and 1979. Any hints on which of the kits I should order will be appreciated.

I don't feel comfortable doing a full rebuild (at least at this point). I am hoping a good cleaning and opening up the high speed screw a tad will get me going. Any other hints are welcome.

If you haven't changed all the fuel lines on the saw, do that first. Every one of these I've had needed new lines.
Secondly, if the carb has never been worked on, there's your likely problem if the lines have been replaced. The diaphragms get hard after several years and need to be replaced. It's a simple job and usually just taking the two covers off and cleaning out what you can access and then replacing the pump and metering diaphragm will solve your trouble.

Fuel line has been replaced while I was working on the oiler. The markings on the carb indicate it's a WA-19A which is sort of a bummer. The newer carbs have a gasket/diaphragm kit but there is only the full rebuild kit available for my model. Fortunately, it is available! Over at Old Wood Working Machinery (or Vintage Machinery), there are some tables which map serial numbers to manufacturing dates for some manufacturers.

There is a gasket kit and a full kit available.
Could only find the full kit on on the IPL for the WA-19 and that's all Jack's had listed too. I checked for each individual part to make up the smaller kit and some are unavailable so I ordered the full kit.

Here are my 3 amigo
When I was struggling with the XXV oiler, I almost gave up and took the drive to Nevada to pick up what looked to be a really clean 2000. It would have been almost 2 hours one way but the wife said she would make the trip for me as long as she could spend a few hours at the tables in Reno. Near as I could tell, the XXV and the 2000 specs are very close.

P 2000 1994 still going 2nd from bottom. Have owned so many of the micros have lost count and many just set in parts now.

CopyofDSCF0011-1.jpg

CopyofXXV002.jpg

Like this baby.
So how much does it weigh? Micro XXV is 7.7 lbs. I've got a steep slope that has been graded and has at best loose footing. I need a small light weight saw to deal with manzinita which is a fire hazard.

Latest posts

Back