Poulan model 86 bowsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walterg

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I thought id share some pics of my Poulan model 86, and ask some questions.
I've had the saw a few years, just never got around to doing the repairs.

It's missing the spark plug wire end, and boot.
I believe it's also missing a cover that goes over the plug.
Atleast that's what I assume the screw holes are for.
Sadly, the saw is locked up.
Any advice on unlocking it would be welcome.

uploadfromtaptalk1425442710442.JPG

uploadfromtaptalk1425442752203.JPG

uploadfromtaptalk1425442794849.JPGuploadfromtaptalk1425442836407.JPGuploadfromtaptalk1425442870983.JPG

Really nice piece there. I was just looking at the 80 series tonight. Have you taken the starter off yet to see if that may be the issue? I was just into a 1050 homlite where the starter spring had broken into many pieces binding the saw.

Yes it is missing the spark plug cover. You can replace the plug wire with a new one, no biggie. Your oiler plunger is broken. You have no chain and its a obsolete 1/2" pitch. Who painted that thing the wrong color? Looks like Key Lime green and not very good

As to unlocking the saw, that depends on why its locked up? If its from rust setting around, fill the cyl with Aero Kroil oil and let it set, it will come free after a bit of soaking. You will need to totally tear that saw down to inspect everything and replace all the rubber parts if you ever want it to run right again.

Really nice piece there. I was just looking at the 80 series tonight. Have you taken the starter off yet to see if that may be the issue? I was just into a 1050 homlite where the starter spring had broken into many pieces binding the saw.
Not yet, but I will. Thanks.

Yes it is missing the spark plug cover. You can replace the plug wire with a new one, no biggie. Your oiler plunger is broken. You have no chain and its a obsolete 1/2" pitch. Who painted that thing the wrong color? Looks like Key Lime green and not very good

As to unlocking the saw, that depends on why its locked up? If its from rust setting around, fill the cyl with Aero Kroil oil and let it set, it will come free after a bit of soaking. You will need to totally tear that saw down to inspect everything and replace all the rubber parts if you ever want it to run right again.
Thanks, I didn't notice the. Broken plunger.
Their are some old shops in my area that might still have the 1/2" pitch chain.

I bought the saw several years ago. It was that color when I bought it.
I guess I need to spend some time on it to see why its locked up.

Or I'll save ya the work and dirty finger nails, head ache's, angry wife...by shipping it to me...
I actually keep going back and forth on whether I'm going to sell the saw or keep it.
A back injury from a few years ago has kept me using only smaller saws.
I had to sell my Husqvarna 445. Couldn't even use it anymore.

A little good news. Even tho the oil plunger is broken, it still seems to work.
That's the only thing I had time to check today.

I actually keep going back and forth on whether I'm going to sell the saw or keep it.
A back injury from a few years ago has kept me using only smaller saws.
I had to sell my Husqvarna 445. Couldn't even use it anymore.

Walter, if you are "going back and forth on whether" you are going to sell it, why is it listed on the Eastern NC Craigslist?

http://eastnc.craigslist.org/grd/4910682439.html

Jon, since the ad indicates that he will not ship I guess that he is not using the Forum to troll for offers...

Vintage Model 86 Poulan Chainsaw with Bow bar - $125 (Duplin County)

00A0A_40VrEvuXKF2_600x450.jpg

00j0j_hNKoYOuY8YQ_600x450.jpg
00N0N_cIc3m7SwIQS_600x450.jpg

00606_7zZmpgwPXn1_600x450.jpg

00H0H_i7PmYqZlHFK_600x450.jpg

00z0z_kKQeM2oCj3G_600x450.jpg

Model 86 Poulan Chainsaw with Bow bar.
I'm selling my project saw.
I believe it's locked up from sitting.
Also needs spark plug wire end.

Really cool rare old saw. I just dont have the space to keep it, or the time to fix it.

As is. No Warranty.
No Shipping must pick up.
$125. Cash only.

preferred contact method:
  • email
  • phone
contact name:
  • Walter
contact by phone:
  • ☎ 9104417667
reply by email:
webmail links:
copy and paste into your email:

Its against the forum rules to post for sale items in the regular forum area.
That's why I didn't mention the Craigslist ad.
I am still undecided about selling it.

I don't like selling saws
That i don't know what all the issues are.
Still deciding if I'm going to delete the Craigslist post.
I'm short on cash, so I might be forced to sell it.
If I keep it listed I will update the ad with what I find broken on it. Like the oiler.

The reason i posted it on this site, is because as far as I know this is the first one posted here.
Just thought it was a cool saw.

Well, well Walter, how about that.

I don't know if I should laugh at you or be mad at you and guys like you. Typical if its old it has to be worth a bunch. Then to top it off your too lazy to even check it out close to justify your asking price.

Not everyone would want a saw like that and chances are the ones who would are not able to pick it up from your house so it would need to be shipped. Why no shipping? Again, too lazy? Might be the only way to get your or a decent price for it. Problem is for the buyer, the shipping would be expensive for a over priced maybe parts saw.

That saw needs a major restoration to ever be worth anything other then a parts saw which is likely all it might ever be if the P/C are shot or if the crank is rusted up. The bad paint job kills any chance of just getting it running and be worth much.

The bow is worth a little bit no doubt, but that bow only fits a very few Poulan saws and not a lot of guys looking for it as they don't have a saw to use it on.

I dare you to keep it, restore it, and try to find parts for it for a restoration. Then see what it would bring restored then come back and tell me if it was worth it, especially if you had to pay what your asking up front for it.

Mark. I have searched for pricing and found none.
Just one guy trying to get $395 for one that runs.
I priced the saw by using the worth of the bow bar.
Last one sold made $125. My bar is a lot nicer.
If you list something for $125 on craigslist you
Will get $75 offers.
You post it at $75 you get $25 offers.
That's what I've found by selling stuff on Craigslist in my area.

I dont think anyone would be willing to pay the shipping on a saw this big and heavy.
The bow bar would have to ship in a second box.
That's why I did pickup only.

As you noticed, the one on ebay has not sold nor will it for that price, at least I would be very surprised if it did. Same with the bow thats been for sale now for months and months.

There only worth what someone is willing to pay for them.

Like I said, yours would be a pig in the poke in the end at least the one the guy is trying to sell runs so it would be at least restorable.

If your not going to fix it, you should separate the bow by itself and offer to ship it. You could then sell the saw for parts and ship it also. You would be way ahead doing that, but that would require some effort.

Shipping price is based on size of box and weight.
So wouldn't a saw that large and heavy be $65 or so to ship.
Then you'd still have to ship the bow separate.
I've never shipped a saw before so I'm kinda wary shipping one.

There's no reason the bow would have to ship separate, you would just need to use a box large enough for the bow to lay flat in it. (I've mounted them to a piece of plywood before), then add packing and the powerhead. Yup, it would be expensive to ship but if someone wants it, probably cheaper than driving hundreds of miles. I've found UPS or Fed Ex ground to be cheaper on heavy boxes than USPS (not always, depends where it's going)

Thank you. I will keep that in mind.

I took the top of the oiler out. Its not broken.
Was their a knob that slid over the nut.?
I took a real close look at the Bow Bar and I dont see any wear in the groove at all.
It looks like it might be a NOS bar.
Might have to keep this saw.
Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics.

uploadfromtaptalk1425526176353.jpguploadfromtaptalk1425526261273.jpg

Tore it down today. The saw had been torn partly down before, so no issues getting it apart.
Pretty much what I expected to find.
Piston is locked up in the cylinder.

One bolt and nut holding the handle was missing.

A bunch of screws that hold the carb access side plates are missing.

Kill wire end was broken.

The only other bad thing I noticed is there is one fin broken on the flywheel.
So it would need to be rebalanced or replaced.
uploadfromtaptalk1426044551237.JPGuploadfromtaptalk1426044564193.JPGuploadfromtaptalk1426044577786.JPGuploadfromtaptalk1426044587881.JPGuploadfromtaptalk1426044602387.JPGuploadfromtaptalk1426044645691.JPG

That looks rusted in... Is it scored that you can tell? I freed one worse than that with ATF. It took months and in the end.... Some heat.

Pore some of your favorite oil down the spark plug hole and heat the hell out of the pot with a propane torch or a heat gun...and pray...or just send it to me.....

Latest posts

Back