Poulan pro 295 oiler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alleycat

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Last year after Katrina I bought the 295, and the oiling troubles that came with it and posted here: .http://arboristsite.com/showpost.php?p=320405&postcount=1 For anyone interested, this is an update on this wonderful saw: After the trip to the store's service dept, the saw seemed to work ok for a couple of hours, but obviously, still not putting enough oil on the chain. Rather than go back to the store with it, I looked up an authorized factory repair center and took it there, where I was told in so many words, that I had bought a piece of crap. I took it home, put it in it's box, and it stayed there until last month when another tree snapped and had to be cut up. When I opened the saw case, it was full of oil. I cleaned up the mess, filled the oil and fuel tanks, and cut up the tree, using the Poulan for the big stuff, six or eight cuts, and my 25 year old Homelite for the rest. When finished I cleaned both saws and put them in their cases. A few days later Iopened the Poulan case and it was full of oil again. I took the saw to another factory authorized service center. A bigger operation with lady up front who writes down your complaint, and gives you a claim ticket. You don't get to talk to the repair guy. She says that she doesn't like Poulan saws. 3 Weeks later, my saw is ready. The bill says "Oiler". I ask to see the guy who worked on it, and ask him what he did to the saw. Replaced the oiler he says. I ask if this is going to be a regular routine, and he shruggs and says: "Who knows with a Poulan."
By now I'm pretty sure that the saw is junk. What surprises me is that the "Factory Authorized Service Centers" are so eager to down the brand. I get the impression that they would just as soon not have Poulan's business. I would just as soon not have this saw. :angry:

Not fixed. Same problem. Chain not getting enough oil, gets hot and binds. Saw cools, and oil runs out of it until the tank is empty. I called Poulan. What a joke. All the woman would tell me is to take it to a repair center. I told her that it just came from a repair center, but that is all I could get from her. I wish Electrolux had this saw where the sun don't shine.

Question

Alleycat , if you ask that woman to speak to someone about the oil pump on a Poulan Pro 295 she will get you someone that can help you . You could tell her that the new pump does not put out enough oil to keep the chain from stopping and you want to know how much oil is required to properly lubricate the chain . I've read where others said that her remedy for the leaking oil was to drain the oil tank . You and I know that is not the real answer , it's just an excuse to get rid of you .

Scott, If you have had to negotiate the Electrolux / Poulan website, you know that it seems that their intention is to not be bothered. Once I finally contacted the warranty dept. by telephone, all I got was attitude. It was obvious that teh person on the phone with me had no knowledge other than some canned references to the problem. Ie: Did you remove the oil tank cap and check to see if the little white tube is in the groove? i asked if she thought a factory authorized repair center would'nt have sense enough to check minor details before replacing the oil pump. That was my mistake. She went off on me for questioning her. When I told her thet the service guy told me that poulan saws were junk, and I felt he wasn't interested in fixing my saw, she suggested I take it to a different service center. I did that yesterday and the man there refused to work on it. After about 30 minutes of discussion he agreed to fix it but only if I paid a $50.00 warranty filing fee. (his way of getting rid of me). I'm going to take it back to the center where the oil pump was replaced, and have them check it out again, if only to get another piece of paper documenting proof of the attempts to get this saw working. The next step is a letter to Electrolux/Poulan, with a copy to the Consumer Affairs division of the Atate Attourney General.
By the way, I also stopped by the dealer where I bought the saw. He no longer carries Poulan, but offered to give me $100.00 for it if I bought a Stihl from him. I'm considering his offer.

Scott, If you have had to negotiate the Electrolux / Poulan website, you know that it seems that their intention is to not be bothered. Once I finally contacted the warranty dept. by telephone, all I got was attitude. It was obvious that teh person on the phone with me had no knowledge other than some canned references to the problem. Ie: Did you remove the oil tank cap and check to see if the little white tube is in the groove? i asked if she thought a factory authorized repair center would'nt have sense enough to check minor details before replacing the oil pump. That was my mistake. She went off on me for questioning her. When I told her thet the service guy told me that poulan saws were junk, and I felt he wasn't interested in fixing my saw, she suggested I take it to a different service center. I did that yesterday and the man there refused to work on it. After about 30 minutes of discussion he agreed to fix it but only if I paid a $50.00 warranty filing fee. (his way of getting rid of me). I'm going to take it back to the center where the oil pump was replaced, and have them check it out again, if only to get another piece of paper documenting proof of the attempts to get this saw working. The next step is a letter to Electrolux/Poulan, with a copy to the Consumer Affairs division of the State Attourney General.
By the way, I also stopped by the dealer where I bought the saw. He no longer carries Poulan, but offered to give me $100.00 for it if I bought a Stihl from him. I appreciate his offer and may take him up on it.

Factory

Alleycat , I didn't understand that you were talking to the warranty department . When I had a question about my muffler and called the number on my saw they referred me to the factory in Arkansas . I asked the lady to speak to someone about the muffler and she put me in touch with someone that was very helpfull . Another time she gave me one of the general get rid of you answers because it was close to lunch time and no one else was available .

After posting my last response to Scott, I went outside and took the bar and chain off the saw. Also removed the rubber plug that goes over the oiler hole. Then Cranked up the saw to see if oil would come out of the port. No oil flow. Ran it wide open for a few seconds and still no oil. Leaving for the shop in a few minutes and going to have some words with the owner/mechanic.

Well, wouldn't you just know it. I took the saw back to the shop and showed it to the guy that had fixed it. We cranked it up, and oil ran out of the port just like it is supposed to. The guy looked at me like I was nuts. I didn't remember to bring the chain with the saw, so we couldn't test it with the chain on it, so I took it back home, assembled it with the chain and cranked it up. Slings oil like a champ. Still leaves a puddle in the box :censored: but at least it will cut wood now. For now that is.:givebeer:

I don't know Scott, but my guess is probably one of those catch 22 things. The seal is slowing the oil flow, and the same seal is leaking oil. Go figure.

scottr said:
Alleycat , could the #37 seal cause the oil to leak into storage case ? The PDF is not clear of its location .
I forgot to mention that the .PDF file is about the same quality as the saw. It requires a lot of guess work to figure out what goes where.
There is a rectangular recess in the case that the rubber seal goes into. When you remove the seal, you can see in the bottom of the recess, what appears to be the side of a silver tube with a small hole in it. I'm guessing that the tube is the oil pump cylinder. The oil comes (should come) out of this hole when the saw is running. I'm not sure if this is where the oil is comming from when the saw is not running. It gets on everything so it's impossible to be sure.

Back