Poulan Pro chain tightening problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doktour

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I purchased a reconditioned Poulan Pro 20" 50cc chainsaw and it arrived an hour ago.
I assembled it (bar and chain) and it seemed ok.

I cut for about 1/2 hour and stopped to tighten the chain. Since it was a brand new chain I knew it would stretch a little right off the bat.

Well I tightened it as far as the adjustment would go and the chain is still hanging off the bar. There is no more adjustment left on the screw, it is hitting the frame.

Since the saw and chain are both only a few hours old, I have to determine if this is just a bad chain or if the saw is so poorly designed that you can only get 1/2 hour out of a chain, in which case I will just return it. This is my first poulan pro (in the past I have had wildcat and Remington).

Does anyone have any experience with a poulan pro that would lead them to think that a new chain will fix my problem?

Put up a pic of your sprocket, and one of the chain.

The chain is show at with the setting at its tightest
sprocket.jpg
chain.jpg

There's a Oregon D78 and H70, both for 20" bar, could be somthing there?

-Efisher26-

Count the drive links, that saw is supposed to have 70 drive links, someone may have put on a 72 which most 20" bars use.

BINGO!
The chain that was packed with it clearly says 72 so someone must have pulled the wrong chain. I will pick up a 70 and that should solve the problem.

Thank you for the help!!!!

BINGO!
The chain that was packed with it clearly says 72 so someone must have pulled the wrong chain. I will pick up a 70 and that should solve the problem.

Thank you for the help!!!!
Not so fast. Where do you read 72? If it is embossed on the chain that is not the drive link count, it is the chain series. Count the drive links.

Not so fast. Where do you read 72? If it is embossed on the chain that is not the drive link count, it is the chain series. Count the drive links.
Exactly. The numbers stamped on the drive links do not indicate the number of drive links in the chain loop.

I think it's possible that OP does not have the little chain tightener stub engaged in the bar hole so that the tightening screw can pull it tight. I've run into this with other saws also. Or, the threads on the tightening screw could be stripped.

Actually I contacted Poulan and they confirmed the chain was the wrong one. The part number of the WRONG chain 578426301. On the package is has: 72 VO70 PN 678426301. Poulan has agreed to send me the correct blade and advised me that I can remove 2 links from the incorrect chain and it would fit.

That made me wonder: Since the 70 DL chain is more expensive and harder to find then the 72, could I not just buy a 72 DL bar and replace the bar on the poulan pro?
The saws model number is: PP5020 AV.

What do you think?

Exactly. The numbers stamped on the drive links do not indicate the number of drive links in the chain loop.

I think it's possible that OP does not have the little chain tightener stub engaged in the bar hole so that the tightening screw can pull it tight. I've run into this with other saws also. Or, the threads on the tightening screw could be stripped.

As mentioned above the blade is confirmed to be 72 DL by Poulan, and yes, I did have the stub engaged. (not my first rodeo ;), but good point)

Back