Poulan Pro

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that I did turn it out to much. I am going to use a dremel and create slots so I can use a regular screwdriver.

Also, when tuning the chainsaw, can I take the bar and chain off? Thanks.

I would not... It's best to have some load on it...

Okay I got the new saw and I ran it without adjusting the carb. It only took a few cuts to realize it needs adjusted thanks epa standards!! So, since I do not have the tool I turned the high setting one and half turns counter clockwise but it still was not blurbing like I though. I think I need to cut slots on the crab adjusters so Ican use a regular screwdriver instead of the 40 dollar tool. Should I do that or did I adjust the high setting too much because I don't know about others but my poulan gets hot only using it for a few minutes. Also do I nee to adjust the low and idle eventually. Let me know, If I should post this on the poulan thread cause so many n here use these regularly.

How did you adjust the carb without the tool? Maybe all you did was turn the idle speed up...

I just used a pair of locking pliers to adjust them. However, I do need the tool and I wanted to ask if it is a 4.5 mm. There is this tool for 17 dollars on Sears and I just want to make sure it was the correct item. Also, the one at sears says it is a hex where I think I need a twelve socket. Thanks.

Last edited:
I just used a pair of locking pliers to adjust them. However, I do need the tool and I wanted to ask if it is a 4.5 mm. There is this tool for 17 dollars on Sears and I just want to make sure it was the correct item. Also, the one at sears says it is a hex where I think I need a twelve socket. Thanks.

I have one and still can't answer that question...
I feel pretty stupid right now...
But I'll try and measure it and get a pic of it...

Doesn't sound right. And I'd be willing to bet it's more than 12 points. It's a knurled connection.

This is crazy!! 40 dollars for a tool on amazon and many sites say that you can no longer purchase the tool? Really you cant even buy a tool.

This is crazy!! 40 dollars for a tool on amazon and many sites say that you can no longer purchase the tool? Really you cant even buy a tool.

Yup. Luckily you can make one with a wooden dowel, which is what I'm going to do.

If the saw was making dust instead of chips it was being run at too high of a RPM and thus would melt down.

Hmmm.....really? I thought a dull chain did that?
Scotts nitro burnin 116 was turning 19k and was still throwing some nice "chips"

so do us both a favor and settle down.

Couple too many beers Matt?
You're the only one that became defensive!
Maybe the mini fridge isn't a good idea......just sayin.

No hard feelings.....beer gets to me sometimes too :msp_wink:

i don't have the special tool. never could find one cheap enough to induce me to buy one. i always cut slots in the end so i can use my screwdriver. i use one of those electrical connectors and needle nosed pliers to get the screws out for modification.
i agree the knurled tool would be much easier to use but gotta use what i got.
also, this is very important, be advised that once you remove the limiter caps and/or cut slots in the adjusting screws you have voided the warranty and won't be able to take it back.
that's no big deal once you get with the program and learn how to set, adjust, and maintain your saws.
just sayin.
welcome to AS.

Hmmm.....really? I thought a dull chain did that?
Scotts nitro burnin 116 was turning 19k and was still throwing some nice "chips"

That's what he was saying. If it was making dust (dull chain) as opposed to throwing chips (sharp chain) there wouldn't be enough resistance on the engine and the rpms would increase.

That's what he was saying. If it was making dust (dull chain) as opposed to throwing chips (sharp chain) there wouldn't be enough resistance on the engine and the rpms would increase.

If you go back and read Matts post, you can easily see where / how a newb could be mis-led by his diagnosis.

Thanks for the concern.
Jeremy

It gets even better with the 40 cc RedMax I bought a few months back. While carb was "on", ferocious engine. Then "L" went very lean (dirt?) had to take it to dealer and smooch butt. They told me it was federal offense even to divulge the tool required. Really. Like they're omniscient and I'm an idiot. Dealer mech. told me after adjusting carb that he dumped my (fresh) mix and used his own. Really? WTF?

Couple weeks ago, "H" mixture went suddenly very lean- visions of melted piston. Not good. Took it to dealer, with note to leave mix in tank. Got saw back, adjusted pig freaking rich, like some sophomoric stunt. Took it back again today, with expression of extreme displeasure at lack of professionalism. Like I couldn't have adjusted it enormously better than this guy. In my sleep.

Meanwhile, still no info as to even what tool is needed. I asked a sponsor here, who's a dealer up the Hudson, and one of his mechanics, about the tool. Just seeking tool ID. Silence. Paging Spike. Paging Matt.

If no-can-do just say so.

Having to smooch butt just to get someone to totally frig up carb is BS. Not acceptable.

It gets even better with the 40 cc RedMax I bought a few months back. While carb was "on", ferocious engine. Then "L" went very lean (dirt?) had to take it to dealer and smooch butt. They told me it was federal offense even to divulge the tool required. Really. Like they're omniscient and I'm an idiot. Dealer mech. told me after adjusting carb that he dumped my (fresh) mix and used his own. Really? WTF?

Couple weeks ago, "H" mixture went suddenly very lean- visions of melted piston. Not good. Took it to dealer, with note to leave mix in tank. Got saw back, adjusted pig freaking rich, like some sophomoric stunt. Took it back again today, with expression of extreme displeasure at lack of professionalism. Like I couldn't have adjusted it enormously better than this guy. In my sleep.

Meanwhile, still no info as to even what tool is needed. I asked a sponsor here, who's a dealer up the Hudson, and one of his mechanics, about the tool. Just seeking tool ID. Silence. Paging Spike. Paging Matt.

Having to smooch butt just to get someone to totally frig up carb is BS. Not acceptable.

I think that this, along with other things, really points to AutoTune and similar being the future.

You've been playing by the rules... Time to demand a carb that will hold a tune.

Hey guys I agree this is crazy it is just a tool. I forgot that you already stated how to make it with a wooden dial rod. I will try that tomorrow and let you know if it worked. Thanks again all.

Last edited:
Hey guys I agree this is crazy it is just a tool. I forgot that you already stated how to make it with a wooden dial rod. I will try that tomorrow and let you know if it worked. Thanks again all.

Some fellas have had good luck gently tapping a proper size copper tube over the splines.

My No-Brand-Name-At-All spline tool purchased for $9.99 from a small local independent tool shop is basically a hardened copper tube with a handle on it.

Some fellas have had good luck gently tapping a proper size copper tube over the splines.

My No-Brand-Name-At-All spline tool purchased for $9.99 from a small local independent tool shop is basically a hardened copper tube with a handle on it.

I was hoping to be able to find a generic spline tool that would fit but haven't found ANY generic spline tools. Where could I get one? What was yours called on the package etc?

Back