Poulan Spring Kit Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris-PA

Where the Wild Things Are
Reaction score
I broke a suspension spring on my 42cc Craftsman/Poulan (358.350180), the upper one that bolts to the cylinder. When I went to order it I found that you can no longer order just the spring, but instead get a kit (545006036) that includes 3 springs and screws. This was a little confusing as my 1998 saw has 4 springs, but whatever.

So I got the kit today and the instructions say you must replace all 3 springs, and that if your saw has 4 springs to discard the lower one on the clutch side. It says DO NOT attempt to mix springs. Further, these new springs appear to be softer than the springs that were on it.

Well I definitely do not want the saw to be softer; I liked the feel I just broke a spring. Pretty clearly using a softer spring AND removing one will make it move even more. So, not being one for following directions I put it together with just the one new spring. The only downside may be that the effective center of rotation of the suspension is now different, probably a bit lower as it's the top spring that is now softer. Then again my sense that the spring is softer is pretty subjective. Anyway, I'm going to try it this way in spite of the instructions.

Does anyone know what the reason is for the change? Are they trying to meet some vibration standard - maybe the kit was developed for a newer saw and you just have to live with it on older saws? I'm kind of irritated, as I like A/V but I really don't like my saws to pivot around too much. This saw is basically an A/V Wild Thing which I got to replace my damaged non-A/V model, and when I switched it took some getting used to the movement. I learned to like it but don't want it moving any more.

I have not actually figured out how to remove the lower spring they tell you do discard, as on my 1998 saw it mounts differently than on a similar PP260.

Latest posts

Back