Poulan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preston

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Can anybody tell me about a Poulan P3318. I think that's the model. It has a 14 inch bar. Is it one of the new model's from China?

I suspect the model is 3314, with 33 being the displacement in cc's and 14" being the bar length. It is a throwaway consumer saw, the point of origination will not help nor hinder the quality.

They are a great little homeowner saw.
It will either be a 3314 (as Gary said) or a 4018 but either way they are real nice saws FOR THEIR INTENDED PURPOSE.

You won't want to buy one in hopes of supplying an OWB with your winter firewood.

What do you need to know???

Mike

Can anybody tell me about a Poulan P3318. I think that's the model. It has a 14 inch bar. Is it one of the new model's from China?

Well they are sold at Walmart and quality is average. As long as it used within its limitations you'll be ok.

Actually all of the Poulan small line of saws are 42cc reguardless of the badging and model number, just look at the back at the engine info and you'll see its 42cc. They are all made in the US of A. There a pretty good saw when tuned right and using a real chain instead of the garbage double safty chain. The carbs are pitifully lean from the factory and should be adjusted, a nice muff mod does wonders, little tough with the sealed muffler but it can be done. Runs best with bars lengths up to 16". A good weekend homeowner saw.

Thanks everybody. A fellow in Macon has one on craiglists for $60. Just wondering if it would be good enough for very small sapling and limbs. The trouble I'm having with my wrist make limbing with the 034 a little rough.

Thanks again.

$60.00 would be about the TOP price I would give for one and then only if it is practically NIB.
They were only around $100.00 when new.
They would be great for the use you describe.

Mike

I'm not familiar with the Poulan 3318 but if it is like the Wild Thing it doesn't have anti vibe. If you are having problems with your wrists you may be better off looking for a used Stihl 017, 018, MS170 or MS180 seeing that you already have an 034.

I'm not familiar with the Poulan 3318 but if it is like the Wild Thing it doesn't have anti vibe. If you are having problems with your wrists you may be better off looking for a used Stihl 017, 018, MS170 or MS180 seeing that you already have an 034.

The saw he is considering is a much better option than the doorstops you mentioned and he wouldn't be tied to Stihl and their shenanigans for at least ONE of his saws!

Mike

I owned a 3314 as a "loaner" saw for several years, it took all the abuse and kept on ticking. I personally used it to buck up a large Red Oak and had no issues, though I did stop and allow it to cool off a few times. The section I bucked was around 24" x 30'. Had one neighbor that always returned it with the chain off, dull as dull can be and had obviously been ran without bar oil for much of it's use..........

I suspect the new McCullochs are made in China, and I also suspect it will happen with the cheaper Poulans as well - but I have no evidence that it already has happened with the Poulans.....

I bought a Wild Thing twenty years ago, and another ten years ago. They are both still running, although I had to repair the bar on one of them when I pulled too hard after getting it stuck in a tree. They are great saws for the money, and if you take care of them they will run a long time. Keep the chain sharp!

My POS poulans have been good to me. They were all under $100 nib to me. I also just bought a pickup truck bed full of stuff, 4 of these Poulans(two work) two junk pushmowers I already gave away, and a crappy jondeer backpack blower, all for $100.

The saws are good saws for every once in a while use. I keep a few around to loan to people or to use around the house. I only have a big saw to cut big stumps low, as I am a part time stump grinder, othwise Poulan has served my needs at home. My “POS poulans of this century”(as I term all the black and yellow ones, the wild thing ones, and some of the green ones), and also my “vintage” XXV and super 250 have treated me well.

$60 might be a little much for me even running and in good shape when you can find the new ones on Fleebay for not much more, unless of course there’s extra chains, a sharpening kit, a case or something else that comes with it to add some real value.

Good luck
Don’t let the bad press ruin Poulans for you

Bruce

Roanoker.. with a neighbor running it hard without oil.. why would you ever loan a saw ? You can easily find a small consumer saw for 100 bucks.. i would advise telling your neighbor to invest in one.. why set yourself up to have gear abused ?

If it is a Poulan Pro, it will be a strato (pain in the butt) engine with AV mounts and a chrome plated cylinder. If it isn't Pro, it will have a regular non-strato engine with a non-plated cylinder and no AV mounts.

If it is a Poulan Pro, it will be a strato (pain in the butt) engine with AV mounts and a chrome plated cylinder. If it isn't Pro, it will have a regular non-strato engine with a non-plated cylinder and no AV mounts.

mine is a Poulan Pro, what are the things that suck about this Strato engine that you speak of?

Some of you guys do a lot of saw loaning ha ha. I am 56 and live in woods country if there ever was any and I have never in all my life ever know anyone to "loan or borrow a saw"... ever. Must just be a whole bunch of self reliant Mainers up here I guess. A lot of Poulan owners only "own" them to "Loan them" it seems ....

Latest posts

Back