Power Assist

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WidowMaker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Has anybody come up with any kinda of power assist to help us broken down, old guys bench start bigger saws after working on them... I have a hellufa time with them..often having to wait for one of the son in laws to show up be fore I can finish a repair on one...:cry: :cry:

Not OSHA approved

I saw an old guys setup where he tied the saw down and had a motor mounted above the saw with a pulley and a idler pulley below it on a slide. The slide had a spring on the bottom so the belt he had on it would not grab till he moved the lower pulley against the spring. A grip on the belt was to loop the starter handle on. Tap the lower pulley quick, belt grabs, release and recoil, rewinds it. It was slick.

Neighbor has a small shop to suppliment his retirement. He puts the bar in a vice a wood block under the saw. He uses a big air drill with a special socket he made. Just look inside the recoil cover there is a pattern to copy.

I knew there had to be some ideas out there.. A combination of post 4 & 5 is kinda what I been mullin over ion my mind Some kind of belt pully setup to the crankshaft end starter mechanism w/o the recoil parts in place...have to make a winter project out of it...

I hate to admit it, but just awhile ago while cutting a big stump, I couldnt start my SXL925 when it was hot.

Got my 22 year old son to pull it while I held it down.....

Make my power assit portable please.

Thats my fear of anything that makes a solid connection to the crankshaft. Therfore the leanin toward a belt drive of some type...

If you set the socket up to engage the starter pawls like the recoil pulley does it will automatically disengage when it starts just like the rope starter.

Check out how bike saws are started with a drill or impact, just before the competition.
Otherwise a decompression valve, Elastostart handle, and drop starting all help.

A crazy idea...

About a 2" hunk of PVC pipe with fittings, make a piston to slide in there, air fitting and a bit of pressure from the compressor with a valve it pulls on the rope for ya. Should have plenty of pull as well. Well over 200# at about 100 psi using a 1/2" rod.

Mount the saw in the vice, and tie the handle down.

This could work pretty slick.... :chainsaw:

-Pat

Back