power companies

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hooch27

hooch27

ArboristSite Lurker
hi all
Up here in pa alot of the ugliest trees that I have cut have been the ones that the power compnay messed up in the first place. I am new to this but I can see what happens when things aren't done right. I was a logger before this and my partner and I specialized in hazardous removals. I climbed in spikes but really no safety at all. That is why I am going to take a climbing class and do things right.
By the way i see you guys talking about pulling with capstan winches and I laugh cause you can get over confident with a caterpillar skidder there that can pull 40000lbs.

well I will talk later

John Paul Sanborn

John Paul Sanborn

Above average climber
That is why we joke about pulling with a truck:D

The yatch winch I use is a Harken adapeted for tree use by Greg Good, called the GRCS. 44:1 one way 22:1 the other, then you can use it as a bollard for lowering. Straps to any tree.

hooch27

hooch27

ArboristSite Lurker
hi
I can see where those things can come in real handy. I only use my skidder for jobs that I know I will be on for awhile and I am going to get a triaxle load of logs. I imagine that carrying a 3/4 inch rope into the tree is better than a 5/8 cable and 5 slides....LOL
mike

TheTreeSpyder

TheTreeSpyder

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Power is power, best when judiciosly applied, at leverage points of hinges. Almost like some kind of martial arts i guess. Truck is portable power too- i think.

A truck can be used for pulling and lifting quite gracefully when applied through a 3/1; that is generously overwhelming force for a whole lot of things.

Especially if you apply that 3 x 1 ton truck (or whatever ya got) pulling force to a high leverage point on the load; compounding the effect. Nice meaty hinge feeding into a wide knotch, aimed right all thrown in.............. Can be an awesome piece of macinery; moving slow and controlled, when powered by this pulling force.

Last edited: