Power Programmers...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
My 04 F150 gets horrible gas mileage. 4.6L V8, 4wd, short bed extended cab. Stock exhaust, K&N air filter. I'm seeing 13-14 whether I'm on the interstate or tooling around town. My buddy's 5.4L sees 17mph regularly.

I'm thinking of doing a good tuneup with premium plugs and wires and also have been eyeballing those programmers that can tweak the settings from "tow" to "economy".

Anyone here used one of those and gotten good results?

Ian

I'm not sure how much you'd gain. I've used them in the past and not had much luck. They generally add too much timing and cause premature spark knock. IMO, your truck gets less mileage because of the 4.6L. The stroke is so short(3.53") that it has little grunt at low rpm. Therefore it requires more throttle or rpm to keep up.

For instance, in the GM trucks the 4.8 and 5.3 are of the same engine design(like the 4.6, 5.4 and 6.8 Ford), but the 5.3 gets the same or better real world mileage because things are easier for it.

The other thing you may look at is cleaning you MAF. It is located near the air filter and has a heated wire that may be dirty. Use some alcohol and wipe it of VERY carefully.

I'm not sure how much you'd gain. I've used them in the past and not had much luck. They generally add too much timing and cause premature spark knock. IMO, your truck gets less mileage because of the 4.6L. The stroke is so short(3.53") that it has little grunt at low rpm. Therefore it requires more throttle or rpm to keep up.

For instance, in the GM trucks the 4.8 and 5.3 are of the same engine design(like the 4.6, 5.4 and 6.8 Ford), but the 5.3 gets the same or better real world mileage because things are easier for it.

The other thing you may look at is cleaning you MAF. It is located near the air filter and has a heated wire that may be dirty. Use some alcohol and wipe it of VERY carefully.

Well said, good post

Thanks.. I kinda figured that it was the smaller engine working harder that was the problem but I thought I'd ask. My dad had a 72 Grand Torino station wagon that got used as a truck (mom would NOT have a truck in the driveway) and he told me that he regretted not getting the big 8 in it. He said the small 8 struggled and didn't get as good mileage as the big one would have.

Oh well, I guess a good tuneup can't hurt. I was thinking that the high flow air filter with the stock exhaust might be a problem.. Will a Flowmaster or similar exhaust help any?

Ian

if u are trying to go faster they work! but 4 more mpg they are not cost wise ! u will spend more $$$ then u will get back in mpg's

I'd consider a set of headers over exhaust. The mod motors have notoriously restrictive manifolds.

What gears does the truck have?

Should be 3.55. It'll say on the tag on your rear diff. That may be hurting you as well. With your smaller engine it helps to spin it a bit. A 3.73 or even 4.10 would probably help a bit.

I think the smaller engine working harder idea is bunk. I've got a 4.3. in a half ton and routinely get between 20 and 22 mpg. Driving style and conditions are a major player, as are engine design.

IMO, your truck gets less mileage because of the 4.6L. The stroke is so short(3.53") that it has little grunt at low rpm. Therefore it requires more throttle or rpm to keep up.

Dodge's are the same way. My wife's 05 Durango with the Hemi (5.7L) gets better mileage then my parents 06 Durango with the 4.7L. Other then the year and engine size they're the same vehicle.

I think the smaller engine working harder idea is bunk. I've got a 4.3 in a half ton and routinely get between 20 and 22 mpg. Driving style and conditions are a major player, as are engine design.

I think the smaller engine working harder idea is bunk. I've got a 4.3 in a half ton and routinely get between 20 and 22 mpg. Driving style and conditions are a major player, as are engine design.
Then why does the EPA rate a Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 with the 4.7L V8 and the 5.7L V8 (Hemi) both at 14 MPG city and 18 MPG highway?

They rate the Durango with the 4.7L V8 at 14 city and 18 highway and the 5.7L V8 (Hemi) at 14 city and 19 highway.

A good freind and racing associate had nearly identical F150s, one with a 4.6 and one with a 5.4. A free flowing exhaust helped them both a lot.
I borrowed th 4.6 for about a month when my old deisel pickup blew a head gasket. At first the milage was horrible as I tried to drive it like the diesel. I learned that if I was very gentle on the throttle, accelerated very slowly and kept the vacume up it helped the mpg a lot.

The 4.3L has the bottom end torque that the 4.6L doesn't.

I spent 4 years at a Ford dealer and this was a common complaint.

Yes Yes RB.... mpG :givebeer:

Would changing the shift points to a higher rpm help any? That's one of the things that the programmer claims to be able to do. Also, can (or will) the dealership do this for less than the cost of the programmer?

Ian

Yes Yes RB.... mpG :givebeer:

Would changing the shift points to a higher rpm help any? That's one of the things that the programmer claims to be able to do. Also, can (or will) the dealership do this for less than the cost of the programmer?

Ian

The shift points that the programmer changes are only WOT.

Ah, so that only affects hard acceleration like passing or running a 1/4 mile track.

thanks,
Ian

Back