PowerSharp!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PowerSharp End Of Life Condition

I like the PowerSharp chain system. It works best in softer wood, cutting surprisingly aggressive. The current version was only offered in 3/8 low profile pitch, which fits a limited range of saws. It is very convenient. But, like any chain, each loop reaches an 'end-of-life' condition, where it no longer cuts. I took a closer look at one loop, when it reached that point, to see why.

IMG_1815.jpg

Looking at the used loop, in front of a new one, it is easy to see the wear on the cutter, but it looks like it still has useful cutting life left. For reference, the gold link at the left in this photo is the diamond dressing link that conditions the sharpening stone.

IMG_1812.jpg

The wear in the sharpening stone is also clear. Each chain loop is supposed to be matched to a unique sharpening stone to maintain uniform wear patterns. So the stone pictured was used exclusively for the chain shown: they are replaced as a set.

Screen shot 2021-08-17 at 12.33.16 PM.png

On closer inspection, it becomes clear how much lower the cutters are on the worn chain, compared to the new one (I tried to emphasize this with the lines): a lot of metal has been removed (I did not track the specific amount of use, or compare this chain's life to the life of a conventional chain).

Could I manually file / grind down each set of depth gauges, along with the top of each cutter? Could I somehow shim the sharpening stone down a few thousandths to grind a bit more? Perhaps. But I would likely also have to remove the diamond dresser links. And that is getting to be a lot of work for a system based on convenience!

Philbert

I found they cut well, but broke a bunch of cutters in cleaning up fallen trees (dirty).
Shame really as I thought that was the perfect use case for this system.

I tried a craftsman 3.75/18” bar with the power sharp decades ago. Wasn’t impressed.
There were 2 iterations of PowerSharp. 'Old' PS ('70s? '80s ?), a.k.a. 'Barracuda chain', covered saw pitches up to .404!
IMG_5959.jpg
'New' PS debuted around 2010 (start of this thread). Only released for 3/8 Low profile chains.

PowerSharp Cutters.png
Philbert

Thanks now I feel old,,,.,..,lol she isn’t young anymore nor am I.

Barracuda chain. What’s the gold tooth do on the new chain?

What’s the gold tooth do on the new chain?
If you go back through this thread from the start, you will see that they completely redesigned the chain, even though the same concept of sharpening the cutters using the power of the saw (‘PowerSharp’) is the same.

The old and new systems are not compatible or interchangeable.

The geometry of the cutter has been changed. Oregon Also added a diamond embedded, gold, link, to dress the sharpening stone on each house, for more uniform wear and grinding.

Philbert

Is the newer version any good or are they reinventing the wheel? The barracuda didn’t impress me but I was new at cutting.

Again, I liked the New version, especially in softer wood. Very convenient.

I know how to sharpen, but have it on several saws.

EDIT: I also had the Old version on a Craftsman / Poulan corded electric saw that I bought 30+ years ago, but also did not know much about chains at that point. It also worked, until it stopped working. That's when I met my local STIHL dealer, who grumbled something about it under his breath, then sold me a 'real chain' (his words)!

Philbert

After all my years of cutting and using full chisel chain my dealer gave me skip semi chisel on my 385/575 with the longer bars. It didn’t appear to be that much slower

Latest posts

Back