PPE, Hardhats - don't take 'em off.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdqdl

Old enough to know better.
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I was doing a relatively small tree today, it was hot, and I was getting tired. It was time to tote some equipment back up the hill and load it into the truck, so I flipped off my hard had and headed up hill. I was planning on soaking my head in the cool water that was available at the homeowners spigot.

15' later, I gonged hell out of my head when I walked into an overhanging extension to the house. I caught the wooden corner right on the temple in front of my ear. With my bent over posture, I was looking down at the ground with both my hands full of equipment. STARS & STRIPES! OWWW!

It became time to take a break, and I sat down for a little while.

I'm fine, no cuts, not even a very big knot on my head, 'cause I have a pretty hard head anyway. My guys got to laugh at me, too.

Just a reminder...

Yep! That would have helped.

Walking beside a house foundation, I am not in the habit of having the house reach out and bite me on the head. Nonetheless, it would have been a good idea to have visually inspected my travel plan before proceeding.

Add note to this thread: when fatigued, be extra careful.

Don't know how many times I've jabbed my forhead walking across a lawn and the homeowner cut nubs all over a Dogwood so they could mow under it. They usually elavate the drip line about one inch higher than THEIR head. The ones I get jabbed on, I'm an inch or two taller. Like you said, scan the area first, Joe.

Thanks Lone Wolf! I need to get one. I'm scratching my head over vented or non vented. Valdez is a rain forest where I'm doing most of my climbing.

Depends on how hot it is there I guess. The Petzl vents have shutters, the Kask is covered in aluminum mesh or something to keep junk out. I like the vents if you are working in a bucket in power lines you need non vented so electric don't pass through if you bump your head on a line . We have a petzl and a Kask I like the Kask better.

Last edited:
Hard hats can protect stupid , thats been proven but walking into the side of a house ???? Really man did ya wanna for a second fight the house ? I guess tomorrow when I hit Dunkin Donuts i will flip down my face shield in cases my frapacinno gets frisky LOL:dizzy:

Last edited:
Hello pdqdl, I appreciate you setting your pride aside and posting up all the embarrassing details of your "accident" knowing you probably would get a lot of grief for it, I have to say, I did laugh out loud, couldn't help it. :hmm3grin2orange: It reminded me how important my helmet is to me, I always wear it when I'm on my work site. :msp_thumbup:

Thanks again.

Work safe. :msp_thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back