Pre-commercial thinnings?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bitzer

******** Timber Expert
Reaction score
I've heard of this going on out in the PNW. Who does the cutting and how is it funded? I'm sure there are a ton of variables here. I'm just curious if its done by the forest service or like entity on fed or govt land. There are quite a few jobs I would like to have thinned before I get there. Ideally I need to find someone with a processor and have them cut my pulp out before I get to the job. I'd even skid it up, just hate cutting a lot of it. On MFL lands I can not feasibly cut every painted stick. Its just not viable for me. I feel like I am doin a dis-service to the future of the timber, but I also can't go broke cutting every single TSI stick. I really can only afford to chase the real merch pulp and even then it can be a major hassle. Anyway, just curious how a pre-commercial thinning works and if they are even done anymore?

Prior to Reagan and the Contract Everything Out movement, FS crews did it to keep working after they were shut out of the higher elevations.
It was one of my first jobs after getting hired semi-permanent. Fire crews also did thinning when not on fires. That was called Force Account and I'm not sure where the funds came from. Then, it had to be contracted out. Knudsen Vanderberg (KV) funds are collected from timber sale money after the required funds are sucked out for reforestation. The thinning jobs are then put up for bid. For a while, it was a bid your way to poverty program, and now a few large companies get the contracts and hire what look to be exchange students, but I assume many are now living year round in Salem, OR. They do have to have an english speaking foreman. But, it was bad one time. I had to translate for our guy in charge and the brother in law of the thinners foreman had to translate for him, but between the two of us, we were able to communicate.

We were expected to get a minimum of an acre a day per person cut, but that was in NE Warshington and did vary. If we got in a thicket of pole sized lodgepole, that took longer than knee high reprod. That size of lodgepole would go out on a truck now, but it didn't then and we bucked it up into sizes for a cat to pile up and then burn it.

Yes, precommercial thinning is still practiced out here on private and public lands. Here on the wet side, it is not piled, but is left out on the ground to rot and provide nutrients.

Bob, I've got friends who run thinning businesses for a living, so yeah, it still goes on.

If I'm reading you right, you have a contractual obligation to cut and/or remove non-merch. We have a lot of this. What we do, is, us cutters go through and do our thing with the merch. After the skidding is done, the big boss pays some neck-downs to go back through (for a much lower wage) and take care of whatever non-merch cutting obligations that the contract requires. If it's a big job, he'll just subcontract a crew that specializes in that work.

Hope that helps, and hope all's well pard - Sam

Thank you Patty! I thought I would get a pretty good answer out of you! Now how do I convince local government to pay for such thinnings?

Sam- I'm doing pretty well overall. I hope everything is workin out on your end. I sub for the mill that buys the timber so I'm not really sure what my obligations are. My forester tells me to get everything that is merch and he usually specifies that in the contract. The problem arises when I have to cut jobs like I am now that are really meant for a harvester. If you turned a harvester loose on this particular job he could easily bang out 200 cords of pulp plus the saw timber. That would be cutting 95% or more of the merch. I really don't want to make more than 100 cords plus the sawlogs because I can't make any money on it. Basically I have to put on a show that I made an attempt at it, but that really doesn't help the future of the stand when I leave a bunch. Now this sounds like I'm being lazy by not cutting everything that is supposed to be cut, but my bills don't get paid with good intentions. It would be nice to have some entity or funding or something to make sure that the stand is cut in the way it was marked to ensure a better crop of timber in the future. Just someone to come in and cut all the rest of the crap I couldn't get. I just can't afford to do it though. Really what I need to do is find someone local with a processor who can bang the pulp out in a few days on these pulp heavy jobs. Then I can concentrate on where I make my money. I'm not saying that all jobs have to be gravy, but it would be nice to find some kind of compromise somewhere. I have never really talked to a DNR forester in depth about it and I'll bet that not a lot of loggers in my area have either. They just cut what is in front of them and move on.

Bitzer-

You got the gist from the others that yes, thinning is taking place. I can only speak to funding sources I know of here in MT... and I may have even run a saw for some of the hand-crew contractors that Rounder mentioned.
Funding is coming from federal, state, and non-profit conservation org's. The only federal source I know anything about is the Natral Resource Conservation Service (NRCS). Through their EQUIP program they reimburse private landowners a (mostly) fixed rate per acre. Land owners must apply for the funding by June of a given year. Awarded funds are announced in the fall, and work on the contract can begin in June of the following year. Basically, they're a year out for work on the ground. There is some variability, but their contracts are non-merch only. I just finished a 13 ac. EQUIP job, and I've heard of contracts in the 50 ac. range.
Here in MT, the DNRC funds PCT contracts. I'm not sure of their RFP process as a timeline, but lowest bid gets it. Their specs are usually very straight forward- non-merch only with a 6" or 8" max-cut DBH, spacing at 10' or 14'. Some state jobs had slash-piling in the specs, others were lop and scatter (also very specific specs).
We also have Resource Conservation & Development area's (RC&D) that fund thinning, but from a fire mitigation standpoint. They provide funding to private land owners through their fuels reduction initiative. I don't know their full scope, but the jobs I've thinned have been small acreage properties of primary residence. Not to be confused with the RC&D, we also have conservation districts across the state (and the country). Here in Missoula, they fund a per-acre reimbursement to private land owners for PCT and fuels reduction. I get the idea that the con.dist's fund identified areas for their district- so thinning monies might be different one district to the next.
Also, non-profit conservation groups have funded thinning projects meeting a variety of objectives: wildlife habitat, PCT, fuels reduction, stand diversity, etc. These tend to be special projects vs. regular funding cycles.

Hello, I am a PCT contractor at times in the south-east states (winter) and in the Great Lakes states.

I really enjoy PCT work and feel it is a superior management option. When done right, the timber in the stand afterwards will be significantly more valuable - it will be almost completely high value species, and high quality stems, and all with canopy space to grow. Also, the species can be matched to the site - so on a dry site that will grow good Oak and Pine, Black Cherry can be removed, is just one example of dozens of possible PCT specs.

I am almost always frustrated on a PCT job because land-owners almost always wait too long to do the work. When you see Loblolly Pine growing from natural regeneration @ 2,000 stems / acre, the time to cut it is when it is head high or a little taller, @ 2" diameter, when it can be done with highly efficient clearing saws. Once it is all 30' tall and some is up to 6" diameter and you are looking at a chainsaw operation, it is much, much more expensive.

The saddest thing of all about a lot of PCT work is that it is done in stands that were originally planted. All too many foresters, highly paid professionals usually, just don't seem to understand natural regen; what it looks like, or where it comes from. A land-owner thinks a site has to be planted, and they oblige. Even if there are 2,000 Loblolly Pine already there, albeit all only 4" tall at the time. They are not going to go away. I got into PCT work via being a reforestation contractor - I have seen so many just plain stupid tree planting projects (many of them funded by taxpayers) that it was just sickening.

I was thinking to start a thread on this but just thought I would bump this one. One thing of note right now, in the winter of 2015, is it appears to me that the EQIP program administered by NRCS currently has a good amount of money available in it to help land-owners on a cost-share basis for PCT / TSI / Crop-Tree Release / Habitant Enhancement work.

There is also still an ongoing Federal program to help reduce Southern Pine Beetle risk in overstocked Pine stands in the south, via PCT. Reducing stocking to normal levels helps keep Pine healthy enough to resist the Beetle.

Anyhow, just looking to hear from anyone on here who does PCT work. I am always looking for resources to share with foresters illustrating the virtues and Return on Investment of PCT work. So many foresters I have worked with so quickly become basically procurement foresters, marking and harvesting timber. Managing for the next rotation is a bit more of a rare skill.

I was offered a job to do PCT in lodgepole on forest service ground two years ago. They wanted an 8X8 spacing when finished. Everything would have been left to rot. The offer was for $110 per acre. I pay gas/ oil and saw.

HILARIOUS!

Newforest....
I don't know where you work and I can't address forestry issues outside of my realm of actual experience but I think you're painting with too large a brush.
The two goals, harvest and managing for the future, are not mutually exclusive. Most foresters I've worked with do a fine job of combining the two. Let's give credit where credit is due.

I was offered a job to do PCT in lodgepole on forest service ground two years ago. They wanted an 8X8 spacing when finished. Everything would have been left to rot. The offer was for $110 per acre. I pay gas/ oil and saw.

HILARIOUS!
8 x 8? I'm surprised anything would need cut, that's probably thicker than a christmas tree farm! I'm thinking you could do it with a weedeater or a brush hog!

Newforest....
I don't know where you work and I can't address forestry issues outside of my realm of actual experience but I think you're painting with too large a brush.
The two goals, harvest and managing for the future, are not mutually exclusive. Most foresters I've worked with do a fine job of combining the two. Let's give credit where credit is due.
no Bob, i know what hes talking about. i see it here. i'll give you an example, say i clear cut a pine thicket for joe blow, he agrees to have it replanted. they will plant 500 to the acre and spray the hard wood. another 1000 will come up on its own because it was all pine to start with. fast forward 30 years, it needs a pct badly, if the forest service calls him, he won't agree to have it done because it will cost him.

now the foresters know its a problem, however the way the laws are written, no one is sure just how to change this cycle. i think landowner education would go along ways but we all need to agree on the facts to be presented to them. half of the info isn't working.
the state propertys are managed correctly for pine, they have the thinning done when its time. it will be next to impossible to talk small private LOs into spending dollars on a pct. therefore i am of the opinion they should be told of other management tools that would more closely suit their goals. of course i am in the minority in thinking that. clearcut and replant dosn't suit every situation.
i also would suggest a cost share program to encourage participation in pct. i mean they got that as incentive to replant, why not see it thru?

addendum; my above post is not a frustration with the foresters i work with. on the contrary, i stand with them in frustration at some of the laws that are......half thought out.

As a reforestation contractor, I have been on hundreds and hundreds of harvest sites. Most foresters are good at management, but some are just plain lazy about it. And government employees are the laziest of all. I often feel bad for a land owner on a planting project. Not all of the time, or a majority of the time, but still fairly often. And a lot of the PCT jobs I have been on in the south (nowhere near as many as planting jobs, just a tiny fraction) were on planted sites - was that good management? No. Although some of the blame lies with land owners who don't understand these issues, there is usually some sort of forestry individual helping them. Sometimes timber buyers will promise to get a site planted as part of a timber sale. Do those buyers do the appropriate planning for the next rotation, the way a good consultant would? Sometimes, yes, actually. But frequently not.

I arrived at a planting site once upon a time in the 90s. The whole thing was just about covered with knee to waist high Pine trees. The land owner, a nice old farmer, came out and asked me why we were going to plant more Pine on it. I of course, had no answer to that. I got on the phone with my boss at the time, the timber consultant, and the State forestry agency that had granted cost-share funds to the land owner. Every single one of those people told me I should plant the site. I sent the crew home, and went home as well. I caught a lot of hell for that, but what could I do, just take the man's money to make his land worse? That would be the usual outcome, particularly if my boss had been there. I think the public forester was eventually fired, though not solely over this incident. The consultant involved (a member of SAF and ACF, by the way) bitched and bitched, declaring "I don't have time to go check every harvest site a land owner wants to plant! They don't pay me for site visits!" The next year, planting sites for his clients, I went to one that was less than a mile from where I sent the crew home. It had been harvested just about a year previously.

I also work on restoration projects (mining reclamation, and wetland restoration) involving a lot of scientific disciplines and fields of engineering, with the conspicuous absence of one - Forestry. On about 1/3 of those sites, I know that a year later, no one will be able to tell we planted trees there, because they will look like a mini jungle all by themselves, but that has nothing to do with PCT.

As for heavy natural pine regen, it is not that hard to predict. If you final harvest mature Pine in October when the cones are open, the skidders will plant that seed better than any planting crew. If you have a fire in August in a stand just to the east of mature Pine with a good crop of cones on it, you will get a lot of seed landing on the site. Or, if you harvest mature Pine in August and the site lies just to the east of a lot of tall Sweetgum trees, well... Just some examples of ways people could think about it, but don't.

The basic solution is extremely simple - walk the site before it is planted. Forestry has to be done via boots on the ground, not from the cab of a pick-up or via aerial imagery and the GIS back at the air-conditioned office.

Oh and PCT prices - well the vast majority of the work is done by immigrant labor working for very low wages, frequently with labor laws being broken. But government Labor Departments have their offices in the downtowns of very large cities. PCT work is usually done hundreds of miles away.

$110 / acre would only be a good price in very young Pine. But everything depends on the age of the regen, and the basic fertility of the site.

There is another type of similar work - post harvest maintenance. Only the US Forest Service really does much of this, but it is pretty smart Forestry. Crews with clearing saws and/or chain saws are hired to to cut all the stems the loggers couldn't drop. Many of these are damaged in some way, or were previously growing in a suppressed condition in the shade of the timber stems and have a very poor form - in other words, future wolf trees. The specs can vary but it basically creates a perfectly clean clearcut. Maybe with good wildlife shrubs left untouched to thrive, or good single stem seedlings left standing to get a good start towards being the crop trees on the next rotation. And every cut deciduous stem will be sprouting from a clean stump low to the ground. I wish this option was more well known to consultants and land owners.

As for heavy natural pine regen, it is not that hard to predict. If you final harvest mature Pine in October when the cones are open, the skidders will plant that seed better than any planting crew. If you have a fire in August in a stand just to the east of mature Pine with a good crop of cones on it, you will get a lot of seed landing on the site. Or, if you harvest mature Pine in August and the site lies just to the east of a lot of tall Sweetgum trees, well... Just some examples of ways people could think about it, but don't.

The basic solution is extremely simple - walk the site before it is planted. Forestry has to be done via boots on the ground, not from the cab of a pick-up or via aerial imagery and the GIS back at the air-conditioned office.

OK. So everything is like Michigan, eh? And all is pine, eh? And you are an expert nation-wide, eh?

Let me gently correct your tunnel vision. All is not mid-east pine. All is not pine. Lodgepole pine is serotenous (hope I spelled it correctly). Look it up. Not all sites are equal. A few places have these things called, mountains. Skidders can't even run on them. We don't rely on cones and seed. We plant trees.

Lodgepole pine is one of my favorite species. Like "lazy" gubmint foresters, it gets no respect. It used to be considered a weed. It grows thick, at higher elevations in those things called mountains, and it is fire/heat dependent. It is an early seral species. The cones don't open every October when a skidder runs over them. They open after being exposed to heat. Fire is the usual trigger but I have seen reprod appear in south facing clearcuts. The sun did the work. There have been attempts to convert lodgepole standst into Western Larch stands. I haven't heard any success stories. Lodgepole is a bit like our Red Alder, you can't keep it from growing (economically speaking) on a disturbed site that was lodgepole.

On our west side and I'm not talking any other region but PNW, we grow trees. We have reforestation laws. Private landowners get a tax break if they have enough acreage and meet stocking levels. They can't wait for seeds to be run over by those skidders either. Units are planted, and planted to a closer spacing than they will be at when mature. You didn't mention damage by wildlife. That's another reason to plant at a close spacing. Also, Weyco did some studies that show that seedlings will grow faster when spaced closer. It has something to do with light bouncing around the trees.

You make another broad statement about lazy gubmint employees. You need to get out of your basement and see what goes on. Yes, there are a few lazy ones, just like there are lazy people spouting their lack of knowledge without looking up their facts. Some of us lazy and former lazy employees have actually worn out our knees and feet. Sometimes we lazy folks have so many places to be that we can't walk every acre of a unit. We do these things called plots instead and yes, we now can use GIS to get an idea of things--like where to go to begin with. We lazy people say, "Work smarter, not harder."

You have no idea what goes on in those air conditioned offices. Budgets, downsizing, crisis management, and the suck of those lazy folks heading to fires during field season.

Oh well, you'd fit right in on the political forum......:drinkingcoffee:

I was asking Sliverpicker for a ballpark figure for thinning LODGEPOLE pine where it is doghair. I'm talking about those areas where you push your way through using both hands. Where you get smacked in the face and say bad words. A different world.

All forestry is local. I said in my first post that I work in the south-east and the Great Lakes, though I have worked for a friend doing Fuel Reduction cutting in Montana, that was pretty enjoyable actually. I know well what serotinous cones are and how that works, in fact I collect and sell both Pinus serotina and Pinus banksiana seed (you can look those up if you wish) - I was just giving examples of how pine regen can come in thick in the Loblolly Pine belt. If you've seen a lot of harvest sites, it is not all that hard to predict, in my opinion. I have planted trees from southern Alabama to northern Alberta, a total of 13 states, though I have only run saws in four states. I enjoy traveling, and I enjoy working in the woods.

When a landowner asks a government agency for help planting trees, they are almost always accepted, whether they should be or not. I have seen some 30 million+ seedlings go in the ground; at one point I managed four planting crews simultaneously. Most of the time planting projects are pretty smart. But a not insignificant amount of times, they are pretty stupid, because no one could be bothered to account for, predict, or even look for natural regeneration. Since timber is sold on contracts with a long window for the logger to do the cutting, all this can't be planned in advance, it has to be sorted out afterwards. In my experience, clear-cut and replant becomes a cookie cutter solution for people more interested in the next timber sale, and it works perfectly most of the time, so they don't bother checking the details before a planting crew is hired. Sure, plots should be done in advance. But that doesn't mean that they are.

I hope someone involved in the Federal program to help keep Southern Pine Beetle under control is looking into how many tracts need a PCT treatment were actually planted with Pine. I think it is a lot of them.

AGAIN - most of the time, Forestry is well done by dedicated individuals. But not ALL of the time. And sometimes, people are lazy. A few years ago, I had to wait 2 months for a state forestry agency to measure the acreage of a planted tract, so I could submit a bill and get paid. They had to put in a request to borrow the trailer and the ATV, so they could GPS the tract. It took me an hour to walk around it with my own GPS. Other times, working with a more tightly run office of that same agency, the tract is measured in advance.

Lately around home I've watched my state forest management agency plant seedlings in heavy natural regen year after year. On some sites it all comes together pretty well - the planted stems perfectly augment the natural stems. On other sites, the natural stems just swallow the planted stems and the site even converts to other timber types. I asked them if I could do a demo of PCT work for them, for free. They declined and went back to cutting cookies. Cut, trench, plant, no matter what seedlings exist on the site, and they never spend a dime on PCT.

I spent today cutting Loblolly Pine all day long. I look like I have been in a fight with a cat and I probably lost a half teaspoon of blood. Densities were running 3,000 / acre probably. It was an enjoyable day because the results of perfectly spaced trees with perfect form look so good. I have really come to prefer PCT work to planting. This was a planted site, as are a good amount of PCT sites in the south that I get hired to work on, though infrequently they are the results of traditional "seed cut" harvests that are far more common in the north. Other times they are simply the result of the practice of leaving "line trees" as convenient ways to mark property lines.

The planted species was Longleaf Pine. I'm pretty sure the Loblolly were there before the Longleaf was planted. With appropriate site preparation and planning, this land-owner would not have needed PCT/release work a few years later. This land-owner received cost-share funding for both the planting, and now the release work. In fact a good brush saw treatment before planting could have probably taken care of the problem quite economically. Right now, I am averaging about one acre / day, but only because of a few burned areas and a few dry areas where the Loblolly didn't come in so thick. In the wettest portion of the tract that didn't burn at all, I am probably averaging one half to three quarters of an acre / day. But sometimes PCT / release can go as high as 3 acres / day. The practice can be pretty hard to price accurately, and that is one reason I bumped this thread. The stand I am working in now would have three different average production rates in different parts of the stand - but I had to give a single price / acre for the stand.

What is the usual bid per acre in doghair LP?

I don't know P. I don't even see much PCT being done around here. I've seen a tiny amount on private ground, but nothing on public land.

I do know that working 100 miles from home I wouldn't make one thin dime thinning at $110 per acre.

Latest posts

Back