Preference of climbing saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here's my lil orphan. old boy give it to me. told me she dont run. changed the plug , and i'll be dipped...lights up and oils like a champ, wraps right out. cute little pea shooter idnt it

Holy Crap Jason... I didn't think anyone else even owned one of those saws anymore let alone BOTH of them... Except me... Pics to follow tomorrow. Our little Homelite was given to us recently and I managed to get it to work again after cleaning all the varnish out of the carb and tank.
Husq was a hand me down from another climber.
Cool... I am not the only one with old saws... :p

Then you buy the next round! :)

beerchug.gif

Last edited:
did you guys happen to notice the dual triggers on that homelite- pretty frickin' cool little saw! i have never worked w/ it. the husky is my main man- gets hog wild still. that little screamer. i'm impressed w/it on the regular. sweetheart of a saw. no doubt. and i hesitate to say this, let alone put it in writing (call me superstious), but i'm planning on getting a ms200 in the near future. it'll be my first new in eleven years. that's some run...

I used to know a climber that loved the disposable Homelites. Back in those days I was a Poulan man-better ergonomics and more power IMNSHO.

a hahahahahaa. TM, i mis read your post. it looked for s second there like you were asking if you could sit on this one. i dunno why that struck me so funny...come on sit in.whst wrong witchoo?

jason j ladue said:
here's my lil orphan. old boy give it to me. told me she dont run. changed the plug , and i'll be dipped...lights up and oils like a champ, wraps right out. cute little pea shooter idnt it

As promised here are the pics... On the bench is an 026Pro I'm putting a new jug and piston in. The pile of crap under the bench is the old Homelite X-12, a Crapsman, another Husq 335 (parts saw), the little lellow fella is an old, hand-me-down McCulloch.... And a (gasp) Poulan... :p

My "work" saws are a Stihl 044, Echo 440, Echo 3000, Echo 301, and Echo 341. Waiting for the local Stihl dealer to have the open house on the 10th of March... SALE! Want a new 025 and one of the new climbing saws. Did I mention theat the Hooters Girls are going to be at the open house?

MasterBlaster said:
Then you buy the next round! :)

beerchug.gif

Ryan said:

Tree Machine said:
Can I sit in on this one?

When I wrote that, I didn't realize there was a page 7. Zorry bout the confusion. I was just trying to invite myself to Ryan and Blaster's li'l gig since Ryan..... is buyin, get it? ar ar :p

jason j ladue said:
it'll be my first new in eleven years. that's some run...
This tells me you've become a master of maintenence. You know how to treat a machine and take care of it and get the most out of it. You use the buggers day in and day out and they have paid for themselves a hundred times over.

Even now your Husky's screamin. This tells me you have become one with the carb jet adjustments and throttle. You are, as they say, <i>dialled-in</i>.

For all the guys coming into the industry thinking it's all about tree climbing. No. It's like jason's got happenin. It's about keeping all your gear performing up to full notch. SO necessary with these small saws, as well as all gear.

For Jason's bringing this to the center for us, everyone stand, for the next few moments, all necessary app laws apply.

jason j ladue said:
the husky is my main man- gets hog wild still. that little screamer. i'm impressed w/it on the regular. sweetheart of a saw. no doubt. hesitate to saand i y this, let alone put it in writing (call me superstious), but i'm planning on getting a ms200 in the near future. it'll be my first new in eleven years. that's some run...

Hey Jason have you really had that good of luck with that 335xpt? Ive heard mostly bad about the 334/335/338xpt saws. Most of the climbers dont like them for a lot of various reasons. I posed a question sometime back on this thread concerning the new Husky 338XPC that Bailey's sells. It's deemed the California Special and is a 45 cc saw in a 338xpt body. I still would like to get some feedback on that saw if anyone has used one. Oh and by the way you must have the Chainsaw Zen going on if you been going strong for this long with your old faithfuls :p

i know,ive heard alot of garbage about most of the husky climbing saws. TM, i'm not quite sure if you are speaking in sarcasm or not... i dont know what to tell you i am no mechanic for sure. i mean i know when it snot running right, then i take it to the pro. i bought the thing new- '94. last year the ignition module (whatever that is) went out and was covered by the manufactuter (lifetime warantee). also last yr the oiler adjustment screw fell out and was a beyotch to get a replacement for whatever reason... probly cause its so dang old. i guess im just lucky w/it but i would never talk bad about em. btw if you guys go out and need a designated driver i still have another 11 weeks left in my diversion program- so consider this an open invitation. but beware, i can drink a whole mess of cola and at least in theses parts, everybody else picks up the dd's drinks...and if yer stayin in, i'm still down.

More than Zen

JJ Ladue said:
i am no mechanic for sure.
Yea, but you got the chainsaw <i>Mojo</i> going on.

I lot of guys might fry an ignition module and come here on AS and jump up and down on that their 335 runs like crap. The saw runs fine. The inition module is toast.

A lot of guys buy their saws from mail-order or hardware stores. You got yours from a servicing dealer who you've forged a relationship of years. The guys who shave a few bucks and shop for the best deal, pricewise, find that the hi jet gets a little out of whack, the come crying on arboristsite that their saw's a piece of junk. They are left alone to figure it out. Ladue has an expert on hand that can troubleshoot, repair, teach and who stocks parts. Ladue's Husky dealer would probably pull a part off a <U>new</U> saw to get JJ back up and running and to his Jobsite. Jason's dealer <i>wants Jason to be successful and make money</i>.

Does this have anything to do with climbing a tree? As I pointed out earlier, the profession is not all about climbing trees. A key part of it is, is what Jason is doing so well, <b>as shown by the result</b>. A lot of guys are not going to buy Husky top-handles this season because of all the negative rhetoric being slung around. That's too bad. I found them to be quite awesome. They kicked butt for me for years, and I had a dealer like J's.

I hear how unreliable these saws are and I think to myself, does anyone know how to tweak the hi & low carb adjustments? Do these guys inspect and clean and care for their saw occasionally, or do they run em into the dirt and expect them to keep putting out? The last 'piece of crap machine' 338 I 'fixed' for someone consisted of using compressed air on the clogged air filter. Up Until I pulled the starter cord and listened to the thing purr, this person badmouthed the saw. Little saws take a little more maintenence. You don't become 'one with the saw' just because you can use it with authority up in a tree top. That's a one-way street that dead-ends eventually. I'm sure many have found their way here and the first thing they'll do is blame it on the saw.

I think it's awesome that JJ Ladue is "no mechanic for sure" but has top-handle saws that are trusted to drive his company forward, and they have for years... the <i>same saws</i> . That captures the spirit. There's more than chainsaw Zen going on here.

Latest posts

Back