Preset dimensions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby Kirbos

Scrounger of Cellulose Based BTUs
Reaction score
Trying to shorten a chain that I already have to fit a shorter bar.

Oregon 91 (bought at Lowes as an S62)

I have presets and tie straps (ebay) that are supposed to fit Oregon 91, but they don't. The part of the preset that fits into the drive link is about 0.010" too large in diameter.

Is this S62 chain different than straight-up 91, or are the presets for something other than Oregon 91?

The S62 is a “safety chain” if that would make a difference???

I'll measure the spacing to make sure that they are indeed 3/8 and not 325.

Any objections to @ValleyFirewood 's suggestion of using a file to open up the holes in the drivers a bit?
I personally would. I don’t see it coming apart in a million years. Paint the link. Then you can go back and check it if it bugs you out. The yellow stihl paint seems to stay on the chain for a long time.

Don't you have a saw shop nearby?

Not one that deviates from manufacturer specifications. If Oregon wanted the chain to have 57 links, they would have made it that way. If Echo wanted the saw to have a rim and drum, they would have made it that way.

Sadly, the days of the local mom-and-pop repair shop are over. Too many are concerned about being sued.

Latest posts

Back